Author Topic: Manson DPD-3030 PS - modifications possible?  (Read 8078 times)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Manson DPD-3030 PS - modifications possible?
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 02:15:25 am »
Fairly happy with the button look. No real chance of accidentally bumping them but still an easy flat fingertip press. Still need to finish the mounts and drill in a hole for the led (not using a surround now just a 3mm plain).

Break out the nibbler and lop about 10mm of the Pot support which is over built so a trim won't hurt. Then the PCB will sit about 1 or 2 washers worth in front of the plate with a couple of nuts and bolts to hold it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:23:15 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: MarvinTheMartian

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2017, 03:20:59 pm »
Made any more progress?
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline MarvinTheMartianTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 09:06:04 am »
Hi beanflying & Shock!

You're putting me to shame (and losing me a bit on switching the load on/off, but I'm only new - kits only to till now  :-//).

I've yet to even crack open the case on the Manson and look inside (thanks for the photos beanflying and for the diags/info Shock)  :-+.

I'll have to pull my finger out and get started on changing the pots to 5-turns. The rest might have to wait until I've more experience/knowledge.

I'm currently finally putting together the Altronics R-C decade box 'K7520' I bought years ago (too many other things going on or just too tired to get stuck in |O) and then push on to finishing the Energy Meter kit 'K4600' I bought years earlier than the decade box.  :palm:

Looking forward to seeing any progress you guys make on these mods.  :popcorn:

Cheers,

MarvinTheMartian
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 01:01:41 am »
Hi Guys,

sorry other projects and earning a $$ have got in the way of any more progress. I do have a stash of 10 turn Pots to add to the voltage setting. Should get a chance to get back to it later this month once my silly season dies down.  8)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline benryanau

• Contributor
    • benryanau.blog:share.what.you.know
Beware... don't backfeed it from any current source!!
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2018, 01:16:29 pm »
Dunno exactly what went on, but I blew both outputs within a few days working on SLA's.
It's sat in the corner for 5 odd years since, without the schematic I haven't been real keen to sort it myself.
The failure mode appears to be the output is dead-shorted - all looks well but just as if there's a fat jumper bridging +/- OP.
Think I had a look and saw maybe a heavy diode or such roughly jammed across the back of the +/- output's binding posts (internally).
One each. And if the supply is enabled with current limit is set max it's not long before there's a burning smell.. and I reckon it might have been the diode-like items.

Unusually disinterested and disheartened with the whole thing, thought I had a keeper on the bench.

But.. aside from my warnings about backfeeding or reverse polarity from sources, if there's some wisdom around that can offer any ideas?
Schematic would be nice :)

Cheers
ben

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2018, 02:32:13 pm »
Reverse polarity plus reverse voltage on the inputs?
The schematics are not public, I'll send you a PM.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline jasom

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2019, 08:16:05 pm »
Hello guys, I know this is old topic but. I have one of this DPD-3030 and I want to replace that pots. Can You help me if anyone replacing that whitch type use as replacement? Thanks

Offline m3vuv

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2019, 09:46:49 pm »
In the past ive used automotive 12v relays to switch outputs of psu's,bog standard are 30a,get a glo plug relay and some are good for 75a,readily available at scrap yards too as pocket parts!

Offline jasom

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2019, 12:59:38 pm »
Hello, You replace Potentiometer too? If yes, what type You use? Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf