Author Topic: Manufacturing a reference design  (Read 1200 times)

Offline ziggyfishTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Manufacturing a reference design
« on: May 25, 2017, 05:44:42 am »
Hi,

I have found a TI reference design that does everything I need exactly. However, TI is selling it built for $300.

My question is since TI has provided all of the resources in order to get the boards manufactured (Gerbers, schematics, BOM, assembly diagrams), is there any issues (legally or otherwise) in finding a PCB manufacturer to make the boards cheaper?

Thanks

Brendan

Offline Seán

• Contributor
Re: Manufacturing a reference design
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 06:44:39 am »
Can you actually make it cheaper? I would have assumed economies of scale with the product offered by TI.

Anyway, I imagine you have two options, one would be does it say anywhere on the website/documentation that you not take the design and go build it yourself? And two, email them and ask.

I would assume. Emphasis on the word assume, that since you have released the design, and since you would likely be buying ICs etc. from them, they might not have a massive issue.

But wait for other answers to be sure  :)

Seán

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
Re: Manufacturing a reference design
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 07:37:21 am »
My question is since TI has provided all of the resources in order to get the boards manufactured (Gerbers, schematics, BOM, assembly diagrams), is there any issues (legally or otherwise) in finding a PCB manufacturer to make the boards cheaper?

Among those downloadable files is a "Reference Guide" that includes the legalese that completely answers your questions.
The TL;DR version is that you're free to use and modify so long as it still uses the TI parts the design was created to support.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf