Author Topic: Max current output(s) of XL6009 DC boost converter circuits on eBay?  (Read 4158 times)

Offline salilTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I can't seem to find what the maximum output current is of this DC boost converter and at what voltages...the seller doesn't know.  Anyone know?
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281624716041
I didnt see anything about output max current on the XL6009 data sheet.  Any ideas?

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
Re: Max current output(s) of XL6009 DC boost converter circuits on eBay?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 10:16:12 pm »
The datasheet says 4A, the seller's text says 4A.  However, I doubt it will push 4A without exploding.

I would not run that at more than 1A maybe 2A without additional heatsinking. Then, when you do have adequate heatsinking, I still would not run it at more than 3A max.

The LM2577 version has been around the net for a while, lots of people have posted in their blogs and here on the forum about their troubles with it not surviving.

It's $1.51 and free shipping.  Just buy one and characterize it yourself.  I just bought one.  I'm curious too.

If I wanted to use it in anything I really cared about, I'd put it on a test bed and run it for up to 6 months on dynamic loads to give it something to be afraid of.

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
Re: Max current output(s) of XL6009 DC boost converter circuits on eBay?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 09:30:44 am »
I use lots of those and really like them.  They use the data sheet spec for the IC under ideal conditions. I would be cautious at even an amp with a heatsink.  Biggest limitation is the inductor and diode.  A circuit board just doesn't thermally conduct that well.  Remember that an inductor can loose half its inductance when it heats up.   You wouldn't put 4A through that inductor if you just used it as a resistor!

Be sure to use extra input and output electrolytics with those. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:33:02 am by Seekonk »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf