Author Topic: MDO VS DSO VS MSO ? WHICH ONE IS BETTER ?  (Read 19269 times)

Offline tonny_cassidy25@yahoo.comTopic starter

MDO VS DSO VS MSO ? WHICH ONE IS BETTER ?
« on: July 25, 2015, 08:54:41 am »
so whats the dirfference between DSO oscilloscope , MDO oscilloscope and MSO scopes,and which one is better ,so today when i browsing on ebay i see the popular on ebay list and saw a listing of a HANTEK DSO 5102P and i check it but idk why i didnt like the looks of it ,anyone have experience with it ? is it good ? or bad ? ,and i have previously watched a review about agilent MSO X 2024A and it looks quite nice and i like it,and i know agilent make a good quality product (in my opinion),and i also found a mdo 3000 series from tektronix which is a brand that make a good test equipment,so which one is better and why

anyway thanks for reading,sorry if i make a mistake on my grammar(since english is not my primary language) ,and i dont really understand about oscilloscope specifications,im only a highschool student,electronic hobbyist and youtube content creator

Offline JackP

• Regular Contributor
Re: MDO VS DSO VS MSO ? WHICH ONE IS BETTER ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 09:24:03 am »
The MDO will cost upwards of £10k, so maybe not. Hantek are known for buggy firmware and poor build quality, but I'm sure that would do the job if you are on a budget (look at the Rigol DS1054z though). I can vouch for the MSO-X 2002A (I have a review here). It can be hacked to 200MHz. If you want to know more about oscilloscope specification, I have a tutorial here to (today's a good day for self-promotion!).

Basically, a DSO can view analogue components of a signal. An MSO does the same, but adds capability to view digital signals (more), although you can't view analogue characteristics of the signal. An MDO (proprietary to Tektronix as of now), combines the previous two with a spectrum analyser, allowing you to view analogue, digital and RF.

Hope this helps.

Offline RogerRowland

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 09:29:09 am »
Dave does a nice explanation of what an MDO does and how it differs from DSO and MSO in this EEVblog:

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 10:18:19 am »
The MDO will cost upwards of £10k, so maybe not. Hantek are known for buggy firmware and poor build quality, but I'm sure that would do the job if you are on a budget (look at the Rigol DS1054z though). I can vouch for the MSO-X 2002A (I have a review here). It can be hacked to 200MHz. If you want to know more about oscilloscope specification, I have a tutorial here to (today's a good day for self-promotion!).

Basically, a DSO can view analogue components of a signal. An MSO does the same, but adds capability to view digital signals (more), although you can't view analogue characteristics of the signal. An MDO (proprietary to Tektronix as of now), combines the previous two with a spectrum analyser, allowing you to view analogue, digital and RF.

Hope this helps.

This is a pretty good response and summary for the OP but to clarify a MSO has both analog and digital channels so you can view analog characteristics on the analog channels.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf