Author Topic: Measure current with multimeter question  (Read 5127 times)

Offline mikeinfodocTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Measure current with multimeter question
« on: February 05, 2017, 05:02:56 am »
I have a simple circuit, which I suspect draws about 2 Amps. 

However, when I connect my multimeter in series with the simple circuit, it only shows about 15 milliAmps.

It this possibly due to the multimeter has some internal resistance (and therefore not very reliable for reading current flow)?

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Re: Measure current with multimeter question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 05:21:54 am »
I have a simple circuit, which I suspect draws about 2 Amps.

Why do you suspect that?

It this possibly due to the multimeter has some internal resistance (and therefore not very reliable for reading current flow)?

It of course has internal resistance, that's how current is measured - voltage drop over known resistance. In the mA and especially uA ranges, this is a fairly large value. In higher ranges, it is substantially lower.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 05:26:15 am »

Yes (inside the meter it puts the current through known resistance, measures voltage, calculate current by Ohm's law), however it's very small.

Make sure you have the probes in the appropriate positions for measuring 2A and that the range switch is in an appropriate range if not auto-ranging.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 05:42:33 am »
Thank you, it is auto-ranging.

I had the black common in the common port (of course)

I had the red in the DC 10A port, and it measured .015

I then tried the red in the other/normal voltage port (which also does small currents), and it had the same reading of .015A

When I have done tests in the past, such as trying to measure current through an LED strip, the multimeter would not even allow the strip to turn on.  So I wondered if the internal resistance was pretty high...

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 05:49:58 am »
Please post the exact circuit you are trying to measure, including power supply and load. Please tell us the exact make and model of the multimeter you are using. Please make sure that _all_ fuses of the DMM are intact and of the proper type and value, and that it has a fresh battery installed.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline Dragonfly

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 06:36:47 am »
Quote from: mikeinfodoc
When I have done tests in the past, such as trying to measure current through an LED strip, the multimeter would not even allow the strip to turn on.

Quick question... do you realize that to make a current measurement you need to insert the meter in series between your power supply and the device under test?  The statement above implies to me that you may be trying to put your meter probes in parallel across your power supply instead like you do when making a voltage measurement.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 11:59:09 pm »
I do realize that Sir.

I had my multimeter in series both times.

Once using the ground and voltage port (which also handles small current)

and Once using the ground and current port (which handles up to 10Amps for a short time).

In both cases, the circuit flow went "THROUGH" the multimeter. 

When I was testing the LED strip, I was surprised the multimeter prevented the LED lights from coming on.

In this case, should I raise my voltage a bit to overcome the internal resistance of the meter?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 12:02:58 am »
Please post the exact circuit you are trying to measure, including power supply and load. Please tell us the exact make and model of the multimeter you are using. Please make sure that _all_ fuses of the DMM are intact and of the proper type and value, and that it has a fresh battery installed.

Well in this particular case, I was simply testing various lengths of resistance wire (nichrome) with a 12V battery.  I have 22 guage and 32 guage (2 coils I am testing).

So ONLY the 12v battery and various lengths of wire.  Nothing else. (...well, except the meter to measure current).

I was hoping to get a feel for how much current is passing through the resistance wire.

I suppose it is possible that it IS TRULY only about 15 mAmps, as much of the power is dissipated as heat in the wire (which is the purpose).

However, I really expected MUCH more current to be flowing.

FYI the Multimeter is an Innova 3320 (so a cheapy)
https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3320-Auto-Ranging-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B000EVYGZA

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 12:22:11 am »

When I was testing the LED strip, I was surprised the multimeter prevented the LED lights from coming on.

I would suggest that you check the fuses.

A blown fuse would likely result in the symptoms you report.

Fuses are typically used on current measurement modes only, so other modes would not be affected.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 12:23:47 am by sleemanj »
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: mikeinfodoc

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 12:44:13 am »
Do you have an external power supply? Try a simple test circuit with a resistor and your lab supply - like 10V and a 100 R which would draw 100 mA. Test it with your DMM and see if that read 100 mA on your meter. Then you will have confidence in your meter ....
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 01:46:12 am »
Do you have an external power supply? Try a simple test circuit with a resistor and your lab supply - like 10V and a 100 R which would draw 100 mA. Test it with your DMM and see if that read 100 mA on your meter. Then you will have confidence in your meter ....

I tried a 330K resistor with 10 Volts (from my benchtop power supply).

I expected 30 mAmps, but the meter showed  11 mAmps. 

I also adjusted my bench power voltage, and the meter did in fact, adjust also.

So this make me think this meter just has more resistance than I expected.

Could this just be the "cheapness" of my meter model?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 01:52:30 am »
Did you read and understand this:
Fuse type and value impact on the measurement as they have resistance and are part of the shunt circuit that a DMM uses in current measurement mode.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 01:53:15 am »
As sleemanj has suggested I suspect you have possibly blown a track on the unfused 10 amp input and probably popped the 200 mA fuse as well, you should be able to do a resistance test between the meters general input (far right) and the 10 amp current input (far left) to verify this and it should display almost zero ohms otherwise a track or the current shunt are open circuit, you might also need another multimeter at hand for testing the 200 mA fuse or alternatively to test the resistance between the general input (far right) and the common input (centre) with the faulty meter set to measure mA and the second meter set to resistance measurement.   

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 02:01:01 am »

Naw that ain't right. You should expect .03 mA:(

(see above posts ...)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 02:11:41 am »

Naw that ain't right. You should expect .03 mA:(

(see above posts ...)

Sorry, decimal error.  You are exactly correct.

Also, after taking off the cover, it does appear that the fuse is blown.  (if my eyes are seeing correctly)

I expected to see 2 fuses, but I just see one.

The fuse appears to be marked:    f315mAL   250V

So I assume the fuse is a "fast blow" fuse
 designed to handle up to 250V
  and only 315mAmps

I am not sure what the trailing "L" means however.

Does that sounds right?

Anyways, I will replace that, AND the 2 double AA batteries.

Then I will plan to post a follow up.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:13:53 am by mikeinfodoc »

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 02:15:54 am »
I expected to see 2 fuses, but I just see one.

Cheap meters often only have one replacable fuse, the 10A socket is typically one-shot fused by a trace on the PCB vaporising open.
~~~

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 02:26:01 am »
Ok, now that I have replaced the fuse (and batteries), the meter is measuring properly with expected values.

Thank you all fore the feedback.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf