Author Topic: Measurement Categories (CAT I, CAT II, etc...)  (Read 2219 times)

Offline JwillisTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Measurement Categories (CAT I, CAT II, etc...)
« on: December 08, 2018, 12:25:34 am »
Not be an alarmist but not all DMMs are not created equally and should be used in accordance to the Categories they are designed for.This is important for the novice to understand to prevent either damage to your DMM your potential fatal injury to yourself or some one else.
 :-DMM Always read the Manufacturers Operators Manual. :-DMM

There has been a few topics on DMM on this forum and I thought it would be a good idea for people that are looking for a DMM to understand what the Measurement Categories (CAT I, CAT II, etc...) mean and the applications they are rated for.

Transients are often referred to as voltage spikes or surges.This can happen on both AC and DC

Understanding  Measurement Categories

As you see each Category has several voltage ratings.Most CAT IV DMMs are rated 600V with transients not exceeding 8000V .So just because your DMM says CAT IV does not mean it will be rated for the highest transients.

Understanding application

DMMs with no rating are CAT I and should never be connected to CAT II,CAT III or CAT IV Circuits

I hope this clarifies and helps when selecting a DMM. :-DMM
If anyone has anything to add that would be a great help.

The following users thanked this post: Vtile, kjr18

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
Re: Measurement Categories (CAT I, CAT II, etc...)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 10:34:16 pm »
Generally yes. Even more important is to learn to predict the hazards and learn the instrument.

That picture is a bit misleading and mainly apply only small houses, not ie. industrial environments. Energy storage devices are another can of worms. The latter is what beginner might encounter. Not so much the industrial networks.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 10:42:02 pm by Vtile »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf