Author Topic: Measuring capacitor charge current.  (Read 4314 times)

Offline dog80Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Measuring capacitor charge current.
« on: September 25, 2013, 05:58:16 pm »
I am trying to plot the charge current with an oscilloscope but I am getting weird readings.

I am using a homemade shunt resistor, basically just a piece of wire that I measured with the 4-wire method to be 0.01 Ohms. There's no other resistor in the circuit, just the cap.

I am charging the 1000u cap with a bench power supply set at 12 Volts, capable of 3A max.

When I close the circuit, the voltage across the shunt goes all over the place, even reverses polarity. (doesn't that mean that the current flows backwards?)

When I measure the voltage across the cap I get a nice clean, textbook-style charging curve. The cap reaches 12V at about 10ms so using the C*dv/dt formula that gives 1.2 amps

What am I doing wrong?

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Measuring capacitor charge current.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 06:22:59 pm »
Well what oscilloscope are you using and how is it setup ? for example if your using some sort of auto setting the v/div could go all over the place trying to track your value. Can you show the waveform you are getting ? why not use something like a 1R resistor ?

Offline Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 06:28:11 pm »
What are you using to close the circuit? Have you allowed for contact bounce? 0.01 ohms is not very big, the circuit is probably being dominated by other impedances.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 06:41:56 pm »
Your RC constant is way too small at 10us. Imax at t=0 is 1.2kA.
Insert a 1 kOhm resistance in the circuit to get an RC constant of 1s. Imax at t=0 will be 12mA, reducing to 80uA after 5s, with the 1mF capacitor.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:47:08 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 06:54:03 pm »

The charge time to about 70% is R * C   => that is 0.01ohm*1000uF is 10 uSec  ( 10E-2 * 10E-3 = 10E-5 )

as you measured 10 milli sec. that means the serial resistor from the total setup is at least 10 ohm
so your setup with an extra 0.01 ohm  makes no difference.

Offline mazurov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 07:21:39 pm »
Your cap also has some resistance called ESR which is likely larger than 10mOhm. Better charge it with constant current like 20ma or whatever minimum setting your power supply is capable of.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - RFC1925

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 04:35:02 pm »
The 3A current limit on the power supply will dominate so it'll charge at 3V/ms until it reaches 12V in 4ms.

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 06:59:23 pm »

This is 28 pF
I use a Tek O plugin in a 547. This is a dual opamp plugin. I use the 0-100V sawtooth of the scope to charge the cap in series with the opamp input and a 10M feedback resistor. So I have a fixed delta V, choose 1 ms and so I have a fixed Delta C.
Vout =  Rfeedback  x delta I and
Q=VC
i = delta Q / delta t
This gives me 1pF/div at 100V  (0,1V/div=1pF/div)  or 5pF/div at 10V (0,05V/div=5nA/div=5pF/div)

www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 08:57:48 pm »
Capacitor charge and discharge cycle.
Capacitor charge and discharge current.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 09:01:51 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 05:49:16 am »
I am trying to plot the charge current with an oscilloscope but I am getting weird readings.

I am using a homemade shunt resistor, basically just a piece of wire that I measured with the 4-wire method to be 0.01 Ohms. There's no other resistor in the circuit, just the cap.

I am charging the 1000u cap with a bench power supply set at 12 Volts, capable of 3A max.

When I close the circuit, the voltage across the shunt goes all over the place, even reverses polarity. (doesn't that mean that the current flows backwards?)

When I measure the voltage across the cap I get a nice clean, textbook-style charging curve. The cap reaches 12V at about 10ms so using the C*dv/dt formula that gives 1.2 amps

What am I doing wrong?
There's some inductance in your circuit. as it reverses polarity. The wires and even the capacitor itself will have some inductance. The circuit looks like an inductor connected in series with a capacitor. The voltage will oscillate at the resonant frequency, before decaying exponentially. Look up LRC circuits.

Offline dog80Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 01:41:19 pm »
Sorry for the delay.

Here is the capacitor charging voltage:

The cap is 1000u at 17Volts. The scope was set to single shot mode, DC coupling.

I didn't save a shunt voltage graph. I am currently remodeling my lab so I can't do any more experiments at the moment.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf