Author Topic: Medium Volage Power Inductor  (Read 1097 times)

Offline 1uk3Topic starter

• Contributor
Medium Volage Power Inductor
« on: January 31, 2018, 11:11:11 am »
Hello

I'm working on a boost converter with 48V input and 250V/1A output. My problem is that i can not find an inductor with a high enough voltage rating.
The inductor should be between 33µH and 56µH, Isat/Imax > 6A. There are a lot of inductors like that but either are rated to ~80V or do not give a voltage rating at all.
Do you know any specific series or manufacturers (available at any standard distributor if possible  ;D ) for that?

Another option would be three smaller 15µH inductors in series. Is there a problem with this solution?

Many Thanks
Lukas

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Medium Volage Power Inductor
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 11:24:40 am »
250V isn't that higher voltage. The inductor will only see VOUT-VIN and the insulation on the enamelled wire should be enough to withstand 250V with no problems.

Failing that, how about winding your own inductor?

Offline 1uk3Topic starter

• Contributor
Re: Medium Volage Power Inductor
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 01:25:58 pm »
Thanks for your answers.

Yes it is only 200V across the winding and i can not understand why they are rated so low.
I think i will try something like this katalog.we-online.de/pbs/datasheet/7443634700.pdf. The voltage is spread over a few windings and i can't imagine an insulator that can' handle 50V.

Failing that, how about winding your own inductor?

I need quite a few but for a one-off project. This would be really annoying to do.

Consider abusing some CoilCraft PL series planar transformer? Use only the primary and leave the secondary.
Again no voltage rating although it would work. I contacted CoilCraft already and they dodged the question with some marketing ****.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf