Author Topic: Mini PC and Electronics Use (Arduino, Lattice ICE, etc)  (Read 1381 times)

Offline BergRDTopic starter

• Contributor
Mini PC and Electronics Use (Arduino, Lattice ICE, etc)
« on: May 21, 2018, 03:37:51 pm »
Greetings!

I have always run the various electronics type software (Arduino, Lattice ICE, etc) on my desktop PC without issues.  Since my bench is across the room it would be great to have something on the bench to work within the area instead of coming and going as needed.  I've been on the lookout for a cheap laptop locally that I could use for such purpose but to-date no good deals have come up.  Then I see this new crowdfunding Mini PC and got me wondering..

This Mini PC, by the campaign owners details (I'm a long time crowdfunding guy and don't take too many uneducated 'risks') this little Windows 10 device seems to be the right kind of thing I could use on the bench.  Win10, Core i5 processor, upgraded to now 16gb of RAM and SSD in various sizes.  Seems lots of ports for USB and other devices so I'm wondering what the general consensus would be on having this be a good 'benchtop' processor that I could run Arduino, ICE and other electronics apps (Spice, etc) with my emerging hobby electronics?

I'm an IT guy and I know a simple Win10 laptop with some ram will likely work and since this is pretty much that, at a far lesser price, would also work but thought I might ask here to get input.  Thoughts?

*Note* I am not part of the campaign nor endorse it in any way.  I get nothing other than a normal user joining the campaign.  Didn't want any doubt as to my reasons for asking -- Thanks!

Mini PC link @ Indigogo - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-world-s-most-powerful-pocket-sized-pc/x/10337754#/

Thanks!

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
Re: Mini PC and Electronics Use (Arduino, Lattice ICE, etc)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 04:26:37 pm »
Netbooks were popular a decade ago. I bought an Asus EEE 701 back then and installed a bunch of additional hardware into it (there were quite a few people doing it), but it still ended up being a useless toy that never really got any real use. The only thing it was kinda-sorta good for, was wardriving.

I'd say your best bet for doing something on a budget and portable, would be to buy something like a chromebook.
Also, synthesizing digital circuits for FPGAs is usually quite an intensive processing task, a low power laptop might not be the best choice of tool for doing it.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

The following users thanked this post: BergRD

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 05:01:13 pm »
I find laptops too clunky and awkward to use on the bench, but I couldn't use such a small screen as that Mini PC has. I have a Gigabyte Brix on a 24" monitor with a regular size keyboard and mouse. The monitor is on the very far left corner of the bench, so I rarely need to move it. The keyboard is easily set on the floor if I need the space. I do have a wall mount, but haven't had time to install it. Plus the Brix currently uses the VESA mounting holes, so I'd have to come up with a different way to mount it.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 06:29:55 pm »
 For my electronics bench I built a small for factor pc (mini-ITX) in a cube shaped case and mounted the display on a arm clamped to the side of the desk to minimize surface area use. The PC itself I probably could make a shelf underneath to hold, but I have it shoved back into a corner that wouldn't really be of much use anyway(other than my soldering station and fume extractor, the bench surface is clear - I have my gear on shelves above it). Only thing takign up space is the keyboard and the mouse. The display on an arm allows me to pull the display where I need to see it, or push it up out of the way (and stack the keyboard and mouse on top of the case if I REALLY need the space). Nice thing about this is it is in every aspect a normal PC, not some specialized gear that may or may not run everything I need. There are even smaller cases available for standard PC motherboards, but after looking around, many have the same footprint, just less vertical height. I went with this one because it had plenty of USB ports, and two accessible slots to add extras (I have a card with 4 ports in it) so I have enough USB ports to connect the test gear and have cables to the work area to connect to Arduinos and so forth. Some things were not happy with hubs, which is why I went with the extra card. Plus I have another half of the bench yet to build, which will be for my other hobby, model railroading, and I have equipment for that which also needs USB connection. Same PC will serve both work areas.
 Careful shopping keeps the cost down, and it's 100% standard hardware so I am at no one's mercy for any future repair, replacement, or upgrade.

Offline BergRDTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 06:51:53 pm »
Also, synthesizing digital circuits for FPGAs is usually quite an intensive processing task, a low power laptop might not be the best choice of tool for doing it.

A great point I hadn't thought of.  Just starting out on FPGA's to learn what I can with limited resources and have new Kickstarter from Earth People Technology coming in soon.
Thanks!

I find laptops too clunky and awkward to use on the bench, but I couldn't use such a small screen as that Mini PC has.

Yeah, that's the on thing at my age (45) and having 'bifocals' since late 30's might make things troublesome.  For the price though, it would have to take a lot of trouble honestly, lol.  Thanks for the input!

For my electronics bench I built a small for factor pc (mini-ITX) in a cube shaped case ...

I have thought about this very setup as well or one of those Intel NUC USB all in ones for the processor/ram and then getting a cheap-o monitor but with all that said, while more powerful and standard hardware you could swap around; it's still more than the 149$ price of this mini I would think.  Maybe not as I've not built a PC in the last 5 years but when I do (it's my personal home system for everything including gaming) I tend to get top shelf so I can get more than 2 years out of it so buying things based on price over features would be rough.  I'll consider it more and check into some options!  Thanks!

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 07:10:37 pm »
NUCs and the newer Brix are pretty expensive. The Brix I have is about the cheapest they make and is on sale at Newegg right now for $115. You have to add your own SSD, RAM, and OS. Mine cost under $200 with 120 GB/4 GB/Debian 8. Performance is similar to the Core2Duo I built for gaming in 2008 (though the C2D has had its RAM and video card downgraded since it was new).

(click for bigger)

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 07:32:12 pm »
Have you looked at the Intel NUC product line:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc.html

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 09:23:24 pm »
I have looked for laptops as well. Right now my T&M gear is mainly an Analog Discovery. I love it and the 25" monitor is easy onthe old eyes. You pay a real premium for a laptop and most of it goes into the engineering and manufacturing to get them so small and light, but if you are just looking to save space a micro tower is a whole lot more affordable. My big monitor is mounted on the wall and the tower is on the floor under the bench. A $30 wireless mouse and mini keyboard and a powered USB hub are the only computer pieces hogging room on my bench. The keyboard can slide into a small tray stuck under the top of the bench when not needed. Small desktops are so cheap on things like Craigslist and Offerup I just could not see forking out $500 or up for a laptop. On the go all I bring are my Ipad anyway. My 2 cents.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf