Author Topic: Mini Test Clips that fit directly on DMM probe  (Read 3078 times)

Offline stevehendoTopic starter

Mini Test Clips that fit directly on DMM probe
« on: June 23, 2017, 08:51:39 am »
Hi All,

I really like the mini clips that slip directly onto the standard 2mm DMM probes.  I have one set and would like more, but can't find them anywhere other than Radio Shack (which don't ship outside the US).
https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-mini-test-clip-adapters?variant=20332284997

Anyone got another source for these sort of probes?  There are thousands of types all over the usual places, but I can't find the direct slip on type anywhere.

Thanks.
Steve
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 08:55:09 am by stevehendo »

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
Re: Mini Test Clips that fit directly on DMM probe
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 09:20:29 am »
They are not exactly the same, but these mini grabbers slide directly onto multimeter probe tips, and are of high quality.

I have a set of these and I find them preferable to the direct attachment type, since they are not as heavy and clumsy when clipping to components on a board.

They are supplied by Franky Tong, who is a forum member (ilovelectronics) with an excellent reputation.

The following users thanked this post: stevehendo

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 03:34:04 pm »
Those Radio Shack clips are actually really nice to use, I bought a few of them for next to nothing when they were closing all the stores in the area. I also have Franky's and those are just as nice but it does add a wire which can be annoying depending on the usage.

Mueller makes one that screws onto their tips(it will NOT attach to a standard 2mm tip), that's the probe system I use with my scopemeter.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 04:45:32 pm »
If you don't mind swapping DMM probes, I saw these for $3.11 usd

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 05:07:31 pm »
I hadn't seen those Radio Shack clips before. I just ordered a couple of sets.

If you don't mind swapping DMM probes, I saw these for $3.11 usd

Yeah, but banana to mini grabber leads do the same thing and are more versatile. No need for shrouded plugs on the meter side at the low voltages you'd be using mini grabbers with.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 11:56:11 pm »
Kleps2Bu from SKS (formerly Hirschmann), if we talk about fitting on 2mm tips

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 11:43:17 pm »
I prefer the clips at the end of a length of cable.  They allow minimal pressure on the point being connected to.  A fitting on the end of a test probe makes the whole probe connection long and bulky, with that extra length increasing the leverage from the weight of the cable running back to the meter, unless you can support the probes and/or cable appropriately.

I have found this an important issue at times, since the reason you generally go for clip on connections is so you can go "hands off" - typically when you are using all three hands for making adjustments somewhere else.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 12:00:53 am »
Basically - yes.
But I wanted to offer an alternative. AND they have very nice crocs that fit onto 2mm and 2.3mm tips too.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 05:50:53 pm »
Years ago I bought sets of the cheaper mini-clips because I prefer that type to the clunky alligator/crocodile kind. The cheap ones just don't last though. The plastic is brittle and often breaks and the metal is soft and easily bent. Sometimes they can be fixed but usually not. Then I tried a few from Pomona and never went back. I now have about a dozen and some are over 10 years old and still working. As a matter of fact, I don't remember ever having one break. When at the bench I'll almost always be using these instead of the regular pointy probes.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf