Author Topic: Minimum lab equipment for dumpster-dive recovery? (on a budget of course!)  (Read 2880 times)

Offline stitchyTopic starter

hello all,

I like the feeling of reviving something back into a useful state.
I like efficiency, saving some landfill.. helping someone out.   
I've tinkered with many things.

The dumpster dive videos have got me all enthusiastic to attempt this on some electronics. 
(Sounds like famous last words, but I have already been tinkering at some level for years and I'm still here)

Basic fault repair only.. nothing too serious, but more than 'oh it's not a cap, I give up'.
btw my current level is 'oh it's not a fuse, I give up.

I'd like some advice on setting up a 'lab' strictly for this purpose.

I watched the $300 lab video but I assume that a lot of the equipment mentioned is surplus to this task?

Please offer suggestions!
I can google for the brand/price range that will suit me.
But if you offer ideas on cheap/bang-for-buck equipment ideas, that would help.

Currently I have:

-Multimeter (mastech ms8229, probes and clips)
-Sidecutters
-Cable crimping/stripping tool thing
-Screwdrivers (all types)
-Tweezers
-Electronics cleaner spray
-DC buck convertor
-Cable ties
-Electrical Tape

I assume I need:
-Soldering Station (considering YiHUA +different heads +.3/.5 solder +flux pens +sponge)
-ESR Meter
-Magnification headwear.
-A good worklight.
-Your suggestions

I have jaycar (underwood) nearby for quick access.
Otherwise aliexpress/ebay etc.
Or suggest retailers in south brisbane.

This is my first post..  so I need to say thanks to Dave and his supporters/contributors/administrators of the youtube channel and this forum.

:)
Stitch

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
I've been into electronics on and off the 25 years and was a component level service engineer for Acorn computers.  I have never owned an ESR meter (until tomorrow, thanks to the Peak special offer).  Basic tools and a decent soldering iron are essential items.  Get some desoldering braid as it is useful even if you own a desoldering station and you need solder (plus preferably some low melting point solder too).  If you can afford a soldering/desoldering station then that is handy.  A second hand oscilloscope is very useful.  You can buy a cheap hand held device for very little and then that can be used as a portable test device later but if you can get an old analogue scope that would be helpful.  You will see experienced engineers using a multimeter and knowing from the results what is going on but part of that is experience.  As a beginner nothing beats being able to actually see the wave.  Ask in the wanted section for a very cheap simple scope and I'm sure you will be offered something in your price range.

The following users thanked this post: stitchy

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
You can start with a PC sound card based scope for free. Will give you basically
audio range scope, spectrum analyzer, and function generator all using your
PC sound card.

https://www.zeitnitz.eu/scope_en

http://www.zelscope.com/

http://www.ledametrix.com/oscope/

http://www.virtins.com/downloads.shtml

But first build a simple circuit to protect sound card inputs so you do not
ruin from transients, overvoltage. Google "protect sound card input".

For example   http://makezine.com/projects/sound-card-oscilloscope/

Sound card impedance bridge -

http://www.marucchi.it/ZRLC_web/ZRLC/Steber_An_LMS_Impedance_Bridge.pdf

http://www.sillanumsoft.org/ZRLC.htm

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
Buy a transistor tester / ESR meter lik this one or any of the multiples versions on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM328-Transistor-Tester-Diode-Meter-Frequency-Measurement-PWM-Signal-Generator/172820727593?hash=item283ceb0729:m:mx2imbyKhEEvAKKMv6cWZTQ

For 10$, it will be your most useful device in addition to a multimeter (AN8008 for 20$).

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:42:49 pm by JacquesBBB »

The following users thanked this post: CatalinaWOW, stitchy

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
I don't see how you get very far without an oscilloscope.  Dave has a couple of videos on a Tektronix 2225 50 MHz scope he scored for about $100.  They are all over eBay for similar prices:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xtektronix+2225.TRS0&_nkw=tektronix+2225&_sacat=0

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
I don't see how you get very far without an oscilloscope.  Dave has a couple of videos on a Tektronix 2225 50 MHz scope he scored for about $100.  They are all over eBay for similar prices:

Not in Australia.

Thanks for the suggestions.. more are most welcome.

I saw some budget suggestions for usb scopes in the $300 lab video.. and I will google some more on that (including protection stuff).

It seems just to start with I can get by with the solder station + desolder/desoldering braid solution.
Plus a transitor tester/esr meter.    The lamp idea mentioned will be good (my eyes aren't great).

I can mock up an extractor fan if needed for fumes.

I'll keep an eye out for a cheap scope in Australia.  Who knows, maybe I'll find a $250,000 in the local dumpster. :)

Anything else I should have 'off the bat'.. let me know!

cheers

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
Everything depends on the quality of the dumpster.

You will not find a scope in  a normal dumpster, but  if you look to the dumpster of a  University  lab,  or equivalent, or ask them,
you may have large chances to get  a scope for free, even sometime functioning.
If it is not working, it  will be the best test case for exercising your repair skills. 

Most of my  workshop is build with dumpster devices that I repaired.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
I'd like some advice on setting up a 'lab' strictly for this purpose.
Currently I have:

The best attitude is to think "I have a problem I have with specific equipment Z. I have X and Y. how can I use that with skill and imagination to solve the problem".

Once you find a good reason you can't solve the problem, then you will know what you really need.

There's an awful lot you can do with a PSU, a DMM, and a few LEDs/switches.

Consider how people prove the world's fastest scope or highest precision meter is working correctly; obviously you can't simply use better equipment!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Re: Minimum lab equipment for dumpster-dive recovery? (on a budget of course!)
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 12:25:25 pm »
then you will know what you really need

I am for that idea, because I don't wish to create more landfill/clutter with equipment I may never use.. in my efforts to redirect things going towards landfill etc.

However, if I can be certain that I will need something, it may be beneficial to order it now, as things can take months to get to Australia from Asian marketplaces.

I think I followed this concept recently when I used a HDD Platter as a backing for my toilet inlet valve rather than go buy something new (photo attached if interested). :)

The following users thanked this post: woody

Offline Wimberleytech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 01:07:41 pm »
I have never owned an ESR meter (until tomorrow, thanks to the Peak special offer).

They are useful for doing repairs.  Often times, the bad cap can be identified visually without using an ESR meter, but I finally bought one a couple of years ago.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 07:37:03 pm »
ESR meters are a lot more helpful now that nearly everything uses switchmode power supplies, used to be I mostly needed one for working on CRT monitors, now I use it on all kinds of stuff.

Multimeter and some decent screwdrivers and a soldering station are all I need for a large number of repairs. You don't even need a scope for a lot of repair work.

Offline dave_k

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 11:45:13 pm »
'oh it's not a cap, I give up'.
btw my current level is 'oh it's not a fuse, I give up.

You have a nice collection of tools, but they'll do you no good unless you stop giving up :)

Offline dave_k

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 11:46:45 pm »
I think I followed this concept recently when I used a HDD Platter as a backing for my toilet inlet valve rather than go buy something new (photo attached if interested). :)

Haha awesome  :-+

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 02:22:29 am »
Been there, done that, wore out the T shirt long ago.

In grad school in '78-'82 I scavenged audio gear out of the trash, fixed it and sold it.  I probably made minimum wage, but I could work when I had free time.  All I had was a VOM, soldering iron and basic hand tools.

The more you know, the less you need.  If you take a cast off transistor radio and modify it to  allow getting signals in and out at the appropriate points, that and a VOM/DMM. soldering iron and basic hand tools are all you need.  The common case I encountered was one channel of a stereo dead.  So I used the other channel to troubleshoot.  Usual problem was dirty switches or bad solder joints.  Worst problem was when I turned over a fold down turntable rcord player and broke a 2" chunk of PCB out.  Lots of pieces of wire to bridge the broken traces.

If I had a missionary bent I'd go to some 3rd world slum and teach kids to fix discarded electronics.   God has given me more than enough to do where I am now, but a very modest amount of gear and the appropriate knowledge will take someone a long way.  The main requirement is motivation.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 07:33:44 pm »
I remember fixing quite a few stereo amps/receivers that simply had a blown fuse in the output. For a while in the 80s it seems it was common to put the output fuses on the PCB so you had to take the cover off to replace them. They were ordinary glass fuses in holders so it was easy to do but most people just assumed the thing was broken and threw it out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf