Author Topic: Modification of an HV supply 12V DC to 220V AC  (Read 3956 times)

Offline pranavAppuTopic starter

Modification of an HV supply 12V DC to 220V AC
« on: February 09, 2017, 11:44:10 am »
I have built an HV power supply using a 12V DC input. I'm sending the circuit diagram of it. I want it to modify it to work on my mains supply for more power.
 I used a 2N3055 Transistor, 1 47ohm 2watt resistor, a flyback from an old TV.
My mains power supply rates 220V 15A.

*My question is : What do I want to do to make it suitable for an 220V AC input?*

Sent from my Lenovo S850 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 01:47:50 pm by pranavAppu »

Offline Arjan Emm

• Regular Contributor
Re: Modification of an HV supply 12V DC to 220V AC
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 12:09:27 pm »
What's the question exactly?
A 2n3055 is rated 60V, just enough to withstand the inductive spikes in this schematic at 12V.

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 03:10:20 pm »
You might get more power if you had fewer turns of feedback.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 04:26:35 pm »
You'd need to completely redesign it, much higher voltage transistor, more turns on the primary, it's possible to make a self-oscillating converter like that but it's much easier to take a different route.

I built a version of this http://uzzors2k.4hv.org/index.php?page=multiinverter a few years ago and it has proven very robust. Careful though, it's easy to blow flyback transformers with so much power on tap.

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 06:51:58 pm »
That's the nastiest converter I've ever seen. It's guaranteed to kill all radio and TV reception within half a mile.

Considering the spikes generated from stray inductance (when the core saturates), I'm surprised that the 2N3055 has survived.

Did you really try it in practice?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 10:43:36 pm »
That's the nastiest converter I've ever seen. It's guaranteed to kill all radio and TV reception within half a mile.

Considering the spikes generated from stray inductance (when the core saturates), I'm surprised that the 2N3055 has survived.

I've built one, when I was about 14. It does work just fine, although yes I'm sure it emits all sorts of RF noise. It's like a Tesla coil, fun but not something meant to run continuously.

Offline radiogeek381

• Regular Contributor
    • SoDaRadio
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 01:05:53 am »
I have built an HV power supply using a 12V DC input. I'm sending the circuit diagram of it. I want it to modify it to work on my mains supply for more power.

-----------------SNIP------------------------------

My mains power supply rates 220V 15A.

*My question is : What do I want to do to make it suitable for an 220V AC input?*

There are likely quite a few readers who are very very concerned that you're taking on
a very dangerous task without even a rudimentary understanding of the hazards
of your undertaking.

You clearly are an ambitious and imaginative person.  You may even do great things.
But this isn't one of them. 

If you want to make a mark or build something useful, start with some projects that will
teach you useful lessons.  Getting killed by a flyback transformer is not a useful lesson.

If energy conversion is interesting to you, build some heaters.  Experiment with low temperatures.
Buy some peltier coolers.  Experiment with solar, or LiPo cells.

If building a big energy discharge apparatus is really really what you want to do, then
learn enough about it that you can reason on your own through the circuit design and
the safety considerations.  Start with low voltage primaries (as you have) and thoroughly
understand all the effects, both first order and second order (as you have not). And
note that with high-energy designs,  the "second order" effects can present first order
dangers.  You need to understand the fundamentals.  Until you do, you're just screwing
around with high voltages and putting yourself at risk.  That's not engineering, its irresponsible.

Sure, you may complete this project without killing yourself.  But to what benefit? 
Do it right.  Start from the beginning. Learn the principles.  Build something that you
understand.

Offline pranavAppuTopic starter

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 02:13:46 am »
Can you give me a schematic ?

You'd need to completely redesign it, much higher voltage transistor, more turns on the primary, it's possible to make a self-oscillating converter like that

*written by :PranavAppu/

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 07:15:56 am »
Can you give me a schematic ?

You'd need to completely redesign it, much higher voltage transistor, more turns on the primary, it's possible to make a self-oscillating converter like that

*written by :PranavAppu/

I'm not going to design it for you, I've got my own projects to work on. I posted a link to a complete design that works, it's not self oscillating but it's effective and robust.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 11:25:36 am »

I've built one, when I was about 14. It does work just fine, although yes I'm sure it emits all sorts of RF noise. It's like a Tesla coil, fun but not something meant to run continuously.

james_s , I think Benta's comment was directed at the OP's design in the initial post, not yours.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 04:36:47 pm »

james_s , I think Benta's comment was directed at the OP's design in the initial post, not yours.

That's the one I was talking about, the self oscillating converter with a single 2N3055, it's been around since the early 80s at least. Often called a Tesla coil although it's not really one but it does produce a similar effect.

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 05:06:13 pm »

That's the one I was talking about, the self oscillating converter with a single 2N3055, it's been around since the early 80s at least. Often called a Tesla coil although it's not really one but it does produce a similar effect.
First single transistor battery to 72V "HV" converter (ala joule thief) I have seen is from 50's (tube)radio amateur book, to convert battery voltage suitable to "pocket tube radios". Not 1:1 as it did have 11nF worth of capacitors parallel the transformer and a bit modified wiring. OC76 were the transistor.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf