Author Topic: How to get started in asynchronus design?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline asgard20032Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
How to get started in asynchronus design?
« on: October 11, 2016, 04:04:02 pm »
I want to start experimenting in the asynchronous design field, but how to get started? Is there any simulator, FPGA like device to experiment?

My ultimate goal would be to design a 4 bit or 8 bit cpu asynchronous, just for the fun of doing it and learning.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: How to get started in asynchronus design?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 04:08:10 pm »
You can model combinatorial logic in a CPLD or FPGA.  What you probably can't do is make sequential circuits operate asynchronously.  I would think that state machines are out of the question.  I know a fellow who tried to reinvent a CPU using asynchronous logic but he ultimately failed.  In the old days of transistor logic, gate delays were long and easier to deal with.  A lot of timing was done with wire length.

An ALU, itself, is a combinatorial block, no problems with it being asynchronous.  Registering the output is a different matter.

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
Re: How to get started in asynchronus design?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 06:44:42 pm »
You could download something like Xilinx ISE/Vivado or Altera Quartus and just use their simulators. You can then always shove your designs into actual FPGAs at a later time.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf