Author Topic: Most useful probe & lead types  (Read 9729 times)

Offline ChaiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Most useful probe & lead types
« on: November 24, 2015, 10:12:48 pm »
I've been working with with a cheapo pair of alligator clips and UT61E's boxed probes for awhile but now I'd like to upgrade to a nicer silicon probe set. Clips, hooks, pincers...

It seems like there are tons of options and it's hard to figure out what combination is most useful for hobbyists. Could someone clue me in on the 'must haves' and some 'nice to haves' for multimeters and bench power supplies?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 10:17:50 pm by Chai »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor

Offline Halvmand

• Regular Contributor
Re: Most useful probe & lead types
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 10:59:24 pm »
I have bought a a set of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-Test-Leads-50cm-with-Sprung-Hooks-and-Banana-Plugs-1-Pair-Red-Black-/200979921195?hash=item2ecb56392b:g:XG4AAOxysE5Sa8zi
I'm very happy with them. Good quality cable and connectors. Very cheap for what you get.
I use mine all the time. More than the original multimeter probes.
As a side note, Frankies shipping is super fast considering it's from china.

If you are breadboarding a lot I would recommend buying some 18 - 20 gauge silicone cable like the stuff Frankie stocks along with the banana jacks and male pin headers. I have made 4 pairs with banana plug in one end and a pin header in the other. Use some heat shrink over the pin header and you have good quality cable to interface with your bread boards. I've made some of mine with an angle, so when the pin header is in the bread board, the cable lays flat. This can be real nice when using heavier gauge with the breadboard.
As I said, I have 4 pairs of them, and sometimes I use all of them at once. So IMO a must have.

Regular banana - banana cables you will use all the time to. Different lengths, shrouded, unshrouded are all god when connecting up different instruments.

That's pretty much what I use the most.

Offline Maxlor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 11:08:39 pm »
These when they're in stock http://www.ebay.com/itm/171085144334?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D171085144334%26_rdc%3D1
Full ACK. I love these, and the variant with the standard 4mm banana jacks (the ones linked go onto your multimeter probes.) If you buy some of these elsewhere, pay attention to the strength of the plastic support at the tip. There are versions with just a small half ring instead of the tapered solid-looking one franky has there, that ring breaks off rather quickly, at which point the probes become useless.

Some aligator clips are useful as well for larger stuff; whether you want dedicated cables or clipsons that go onto a 4mm jack is personal preference; the latter can be slightly more unwieldy on occasion because of the increased length. I do recommend you also get a set of those very small 2mm ones that fit onto your multimeter probes; they are useful when the trying to connect to something too large for the hooks.

As for silicone multimeter leads; I managed to get some nice fluke leads for $2 at an auction :) Keep your eyes open! Brymen's leads are nice as well. They're not in franky's store, but if you message him, maybe he can find some for you.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 11:55:12 pm »
Probes are fine for when you need to actually poke and probe, troubleshooting a malfunctioning device for example. Often in a lab type situation what you actually want to do is monitor various readings. In those situations, I prefer mini grabbers and micro grabbers, which are smaller and more maneuverable than alligator clips. I use them much more frequently than I do pointy probes, which won't stay anywhere unless they're being held in place.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 12:43:44 am »
Someone sent some to dave on a mailbag a long time ago, he did like them a lot and people on the forum raved about them. But I don't recall the brand, I think they were US made but I'm not sure. I'll do a search and update if I find it.

As I recall they were not expensive at all.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor

Offline RobertHolcombe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 12:51:09 am »
^^^

The probemaster 8000 series master kit is good value, has lots of adapters to suit a wide range of applications, and are very affordable

http://probemaster.com/8000-series-master-kits/

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 02:31:39 am »
I'd imagine the 2mm socket probe adapters would be more cumbersome since the full length probes are hanging off nearby. I don't have much desk space.

Offline grifftech

• Frequent Contributor
    • youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 03:08:54 am »
@ halvmand you mean good, not God.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 05:35:46 am »
Another vote for Probe Master:-+

It's good stuff and a better value than Fluke/Pomona, which is why most of mine is from them (only Fluke I have came with a meter). Some of it is just a better product than Fluke/Pomona as well, such as the SMD spring loaded probes.

Like rdl, I attach the connector end and let go of it more often than not as it frees up both hands. But when you do this with the 8000 series with a screwed on connector, the weight of the probe body can pull your connector loose from the leg/test point. This isn't the case with the 9000 series as it's modular (connector hooks directly to the wire), which makes it better suited for electronics work IME.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Softie grips on the 8000 series probes for when you have to hold them, such as with the SMD Spring Loaded probes. So if you do hold your probes a lot, getting a set of leads only in the 8000 series is worth having ($15.90, so not expensive).

As per value, you can buy a 9104 Deluxe Electronic Kit, Spring Loaded Probe Kit, and set of 8000 Leads Only for the same money or less as a Fluke TLK287 kit. And you get more stuff with Probe Master.  :-+

Also, the straight retractable banana's are the most useful IME, as they'll fit anything (safety shrouded or not). Which makes them perfect for bench work and can save you money.  ;D

They even ship internationally.  8)

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 06:34:26 am »
Ive been told that silicon leads are too soft, and will fatigue at the socket end.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 06:50:54 am »
^^^

The probemaster 8000 series master kit is good value, has lots of adapters to suit a wide range of applications, and are very affordable

http://probemaster.com/8000-series-master-kits/

Seconded, DON'T get pomona or fluke shit, they are shit, can't even get the replacement tips!

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 07:48:15 am »

Ive been told that silicon leads are too soft, and will fatigue at the socket end.

If the socket end doesn't have a flexible *molded* strain relief, perhaps? I've got a pair of Tektronix (Fluke/Pomona) leads on my bench DMM that I've used basically daily for 3 years and there's no apparent fraying or fatigue at the socket end.

Let's say they did finally break. You can buy a set of the Probemaster 8000 leads for under $20. Every 3+ years. The first time you brush your soldering iron up against the leads and they don't melt, combined with the fact they don't tangle or kink makes it worth it.

Once you go silicon you won't go back..icon.

Sent from my Tablet
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 08:24:28 am »
I'd imagine the 2mm socket probe adapters would be more cumbersome since the full length probes are hanging off nearby. I don't have much desk space.

It depends what you're using them for. For clipping onto component leads on a breadboard, you need wire ones rather than a straight 2mm to spring clip adapters because the weight and size of the probe assembly will make it difficult to clip on logistically without accidentally pulling the part out.

Another option might be to get spring clip probes direct to the DMM, I'm not sure if they're generally available or not. Edit: I see Halvmand linked these, but 50cm might be a bit short depending on your bench set up, typical DMM probes are 1m or so http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-Test-Leads-50cm-with-Sprung-Hooks-and-Banana-Plugs-1-Pair-Red-Black-/200979921195?hash=item2ecb56392b:g:XG4AAOxysE5Sa8zi
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 08:34:15 am by Howardlong »

Offline Halvmand

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 10:16:24 am »
@ halvmand you mean good, not God.

Not anymore. Now I'm a cable worshipper. Anyone want to join my new silicone test lead religion? A seat in my church only costs two 4mm banana plugs  ^-^

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 11:00:51 am »
I quite like the cables on the standard Keysight DMM cable set, they are seriously heavy gauge but nice and flexible so they sit flat. The connections where the cable connector joins the hand piece is a firm fit and won't come off in standard use. Not crazy money either. Same set for 4+yrs.
http://www.keysight.com/en/pd-792197-pn-U1161A/extended-test-lead-kit?nid=-536902470.536910941&cc=AU&lc=eng
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 11:53:14 am »
My friend told me to get this kit.
http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/multimeter-test-leads/7600373/

I ended up pay of the odds for some hirschman.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 12:57:31 pm »
I think it depends entirely on the quality of the strain reliefs. Certainly, as a blanket statement it's nonsense -- the reason they're soft is because test lead wire is supposed to be soft, so every material is chosen to be flexible on purpose. Silicone insulation is used because it's super flexible, and it's wrapped around wire with hundreds of ultrafine strands. This makes it less prone to breaking, not more!!

In my experience, some people are simply far, far, FAR harder on their gear than others. My stuff always looks like new even after years of use; my sister's gadgets look like they went through boot camp after a few months. Whoever told you that silicone is too fragile is probably someone who wraps their leads far too tight without unplugging them.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 06:11:25 pm »
My friend told me to get this kit.
http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/multimeter-test-leads/7600373/

I ended up pay of the odds for some hirschman.
For that much money, you'd be better off getting a 9104 Deluxe Electronic Kit* IME (I own those leads, probes, and alligator clips as well as the kit I've linked). More stuff with the Probe Master kit, and you don't have the probe weight hanging off of your test point = they don't slip off as easily as that Agilent/Keysight kit will.

*They ship internationally.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 08:21:02 pm »
Okay, thanks for the help. I think I'll go with the hooks/clips direct to DMM instead of any adapter sets. Some mid-length and some full length for my DMM and power supply. And either the probemaster or brymen probes.

Are E-Z-Hook XKM the type of pincer probes most people use?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 08:23:58 pm by Chai »

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 08:40:00 pm »
I quite like the cables on the standard Keysight DMM cable set, they are seriously heavy gauge but nice and flexible so they sit flat. The connections where the cable connector joins the hand piece is a firm fit and won't come off in standard use. Not crazy money either. Same set for 4+yrs.
http://www.keysight.com/en/pd-792197-pn-U1161A/extended-test-lead-kit?nid=-536902470.536910941&cc=AU&lc=eng
I like these too. Might get a set to replace my Fluke leads.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 02:27:34 am »
And what's the point of shrouded DMM plugs? Are standard plugs really all that unsafe? Does the style just make it easier to plug/unplug?

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2015, 05:03:32 am »
i think is for 1000v cert

Offline 3roomlab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 05:52:07 am »
this is an old thread about low thermal EMF cable. i guess since it is DIY-able, it should be the 1 and only cable to go for (sadly i have not tried it yet)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/diy-low-emf-cable-and-connectors/

post #44 is the result. i wonder how is the result of this cable set now that some time has passed
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 05:53:46 am by 3roomlab »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf