Author Topic: Motor specifications for ornithopter  (Read 1712 times)

Offline AdhithTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Motor specifications for ornithopter
« on: April 07, 2017, 12:39:11 pm »
Hello everyone
I'm modelling an rc controlled ornithopter (artificial wing flapping bird) as part of my project,and I am an absolute beginner in the field of dc motors and I don't have a clue on what motor to use. The bird is having a total wingspan of about 1.3 meters ,and the frame weights about 50-100 grams. The bird is supposed to have a flapping freequency of 3 to 7 beats per second (about 500 rpm of crank),and I'm planning to drive the wing using a crank rocker mechanism. Here is the primary model of the bird I made using Solidworks. Can anyone please suggest what type of motor and other electronics should be used ?

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
Re: Motor specifications for ornithopter
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 02:22:42 pm »
You'll need a gear motor at least.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: Motor specifications for ornithopter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 06:58:04 am »
Have you modelled/estimated the force that will be needed to move the wings up and down? (Which will be dominated by the air resistance, I assume, but the weight and inertia of the wing structure may also be non-negligible.) I think you should start with a quantitative estimate of the torque you need from the motor, then take it from there.

As a side note, it seems that your mechanical design can only flap the wings up and down. Don't you need some degree of freedom to tilt them (for less air resistance) before the up-stroke, then tilt/twist/rotate them back for higher air resistance before the down-stroke? Or maybe I have overlooked a degree of freedom in your model.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 07:00:57 am by ebastler »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf