Author Topic: Moving iron AC ammeters OK for DC as well?  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Chris WilsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Race car engineer, dog lover, hoarder.
Moving iron AC ammeters OK for DC as well?
« on: August 29, 2015, 06:58:29 am »
I have a few NOS moving iron ammeters, the sort with a compressed low end of the scale. The ones you always see in the bottom of boxes at rallies when all the decent moving coil ones have sold.

I have always used these as seemingly designed, for measuring AC current, but I needed a DC ammeter for up to 20 Amps, so tried one. It seems to work fine on DC, although dampening is not great. Up to the 10 amp DC current limit of my multimeter the two track fine. Is there any reason *NOT* to use one on DC? I even noticed the terminals are marked + and - on some  of them ....

Thanks.
Best regards,

Chris Wilson.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Moving iron AC ammeters OK for DC as well?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 07:10:51 am »
surly there is some sort of rectifier in them ?

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 07:43:05 am »
I am sure they were used to indicate the charging current in old style car battery chargers, which must have been DC. I don't imagine there is any reason not to use them for DC.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 08:01:34 am »
They work on both AC & DC--in fact,they read True RMS,albeit on a weird  non-linear scale.
Back in 1959,we were taught about them,but told they were "pretty much obsolete"!;D

http://electrical-engineering-portal.com/moving-iron-instruments-voltmeter-and-ammeter

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 08:42:54 am »
Simon, no rectifier required! The bad news is that there is a fixed coil and a moving piece of soft iron attached to the pointer, this gives a non-linear scale due to the inverse square law. It's been a number of years since I've seen one of these.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 09:10:29 am »
Excellent, I may get a few more, no one seems to want them at the rallies! Thanks for the information :)
Best regards,

Chris Wilson.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 10:53:45 am »
The nice thing about them is they work fine on AC or DC, and even will give a good RMS reading for high crest factor current ( think of a transformer with a high current rectifier and an oversize capacitor which only charges over a few degrees at top of the cycle) as well. Damping can best be described as poor to none, but they do work well.

Just note that many are orientation sensitive, and will read different if used face down or mounted in a panel. The units with solid cores ( no laminates) are better damped as there is lower core loss, but in any case they only drop 100mV or so at 10A current.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 04:33:38 pm »
The types with solid core are not that good in RMS reading, as they do not correctly handle higher frequency components.

Using with DC may cause a slightly larger error, as the hysterese of the material is not smoothed out from AC - but some more or less permanent magnetisation can build up. So after a large positive DC current they may read a little high on small positive currents and low on small negative ones. As reading is usually not that accurate anyway, this is no real reason not to use them on DC.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 07:17:39 pm »
Yes, since using it to set a Hall effect trip run off a choke wound on a ferrite rod for the magnetism above a certain current, it no longer settles exactly at zero, as you say, it's probably residual magnetism. Still very adequate for the job in hand though! Thanks for the replies.
Best regards,

Chris Wilson.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf