Author Topic: Multi way connectors  (Read 2185 times)

Offline sureshotTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Multi way connectors
« on: July 06, 2018, 09:55:26 am »
I'm trying to find a connector socket and pin header system. What i want to do is interface the legs of a transistor TO218. I've found the molex type pc fan socket fit, but its every other hole in the socket. There 2.54 mm pitch i think, there seems to be a socket plug system that is 5.08mm pitch, and that would be perfect. Trouble is even though the 2.54mm system fits, every other hole, the wire diameter to those crimps might not handle 5 Amps. The intended maximum current i would use. Does anyone know a source for the 5.08mm socket header system ? I'm in the UK. Any ideas help appreciated.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Re: Multi way connectors
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 10:28:48 am »
One step back, what do you exactly need?
is it a
- PCB end connector with screw terminals or
- PCB connector with insert or
- Wire to Wire connector ?

There are many 5,08mm pitch connectors, Farnell with filters will give you hundreds but what is it exactly you look for?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 11:33:53 am »
Its for a non standard application.  Its for trasistors and voltage regulators. The type I've been playing with are the pc fan type molex connectors. There 2.54mm and fit TO220 pins fine, and for my application that's less than 1 Amp so ok for that. The transistor is a TIP147 and TIP36C the same connector socket fits, but every other pin hole in the socket. There rated for up to 4 Amps. The issue is wire diameter to the crimp that fits that housing connector. Its unlikley to be able to handle up to 5 Amps current, although i removed the wires from a 4 way socket and can fit 2 x 4 Amp rated conductors through the holes easily. The problem would be the crimp to wire might be to large. I've found a larger molex type socket of 5.08mm that would fit every transistor TO218 pin. The problem is i can only find sellers that supply industry and not retail sales. The idea is for mounting semiconductors transistors and voltage regulators to cpu heatsinks. In the past I've soldered a small piece of strip board to semiconductors and wires, that works fine, i just heatshrink the connections. I'm after a quick change of device option to interface the cpu heatsink, i know all this is non standard use. But seems like an option I'd like to try for swapping out semiconductors with out having to reach for a soldering iron. My off the board connections are under 6" and typically much less.
The molex type socket of 5.08 mm socket is perfect for the transistor interface, and the 2.54 mm socket perfect for voltage regulator TO220 devices. Hope that makes some sense. Thank you for your reply.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 12:48:25 pm »
The issue I see is the 5 Amps, that is a lot for a "sliding" action connector to a foreign pin (normally connectors are mated so they fit perfectly and then larger amps are not a problem).  What you describe I have seen in VCC2000 videorecorders from Philips, they connected their Voltage Regulators that way but indeed <2 Amps.

Your connector should fit the pin and have decent pressure on the contact on multiple sides in order to get a good connection.
Instead of trying to find a 3 pole connector you might have better luck finding a good fitting single pole connector ?

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 02:27:29 pm »
The issue I see is the 5 Amps, that is a lot for a "sliding" action connector to a foreign pin (normally connectors are mated so they fit perfectly and then larger amps are not a problem).  What you describe I have seen in VCC2000 videorecorders from Philips, they connected their Voltage Regulators that way but indeed <2 Amps.

Your connector should fit the pin and have decent pressure on the contact on multiple sides in order to get a good connection.
Instead of trying to find a 3 pole connector you might have better luck finding a good fitting single pole connector ?

I thought he was using the mating connectors and crimping the terminals to the male...

JS
If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 07:12:30 pm »
Thanks for the replys. No it's the friction slide on fit idea. Most of the time it would be a couple of Amps per transistor, a pair as series pass elements to boost current. Yes I can see 5 Amps being a little bit to much, even if I connect heavier wire to the crimps.  It's not the wire getting hot, but more the contact surface of the crimps friction interface getting hot. This was the reason for looking for the 5.08 mm pitch socket, it looks heavier duty. What I'm looking for is in the picture below, it looks to have been superseded by SCT5080 series by Molex. I just can't find a source that sell this plug socket interface system to the public, retail etc.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...

The following users thanked this post: sureshot

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 09:54:03 pm »
I'm trying to find a connector socket and pin header system. What i want to do is interface the legs of a transistor TO218. I've found the molex type pc fan socket fit, but its every other hole in the socket. There 2.54 mm pitch i think, there seems to be a socket plug system that is 5.08mm pitch, and that would be perfect. Trouble is even though the 2.54mm system fits, every other hole, the wire diameter to those crimps might not handle 5 Amps. The intended maximum current i would use. Does anyone know a source for the 5.08mm socket header system ? I'm in the UK. Any ideas help appreciated.

sometihng like this? https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/p/phoenix-contact/combicon-plh5-pla5

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 10:00:26 pm »
Don't know your country but tme.eu has the kk508 but you need to search on the connector.
The family is at tme called "raster signal connector 5,08 mm"
This is the three pole housing wo crimp connector , those you have to order seperately
https://www.tme.eu/en/details/mx-10-01-1034/raster-signal-connectors-508mm/molex/010011034-3001-03/

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 10:12:38 pm »
Thank you for the links it's much appreciated.  It's the 5.08 mm Molex socket I had in mind for the transistors. And the Molex 2.54 mm socket for TO220 voltage regulators. I will try the other search terms as well. I'm in the UK, never purchased from digikey before. I will try and register with them. I've used Rapid electronics before, but the search terms I used only threw up some odd connector with a 5.08 pitch. I was surprised eBay had nothing, well only one seller, but to many negatives. The 2.54 mm socket seems easy to find everywhere. Thank you again for the info and links.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 10:42:17 am »
Does anyone know another source for this Molex 5.08 mm socket ? Tried registering with digikey last night, its seemed fine. This morning i get an email saying can not process registration with out more information  (name address etc) which i provided first time round. The email they sent didn't even provide a hyperlink to this " more information needed " what a totally stupid company. I'm with other electronics providers, none go through all this nonsence. Then it ask me to reset pass word.... Waste of time. Anyone know another supplier for this Molex socket ? Thanks for any help.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 12:23:50 pm »
I think RS stocks them.    (UK company)

Try a google search using  "RS Molex KK 508"

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 12:29:14 pm by iainwhite »

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 03:08:12 pm »
Here's an idea

Use a 5 way 2.54 molex and just populate 3 pins for even lower cost use some dupont sockets - I get the 40 way strips and cut to suit

https://www.rapidonline.com/jyk-h2500-05-5-way-crimp-housing-22-0920 (molex compatible)

ps. Housings don't come supplied with pins, unless specified

What country are you from it may help if you put it in your forum profile
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 03:20:00 pm by bob225 »

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 03:32:40 pm »
The issue you have is going up in pitch size, changes the pin/socket size, as the pin needs to be able to handle higher current it has to be thicker

tbh in this situation I would solder the leads directly to the component and heat shrink the leads or make up a small pcb
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 03:48:11 pm by bob225 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 06:21:37 pm »
As far as I'm aware RS will only sell to business or company's. So I don't think I can go down that route. Thanks for the replys, yes I know the pin socket size goes up in size to accommodate larger currents. I put the TO218 transistors up to a pc power Molex connector and it's way to big in socket size. Although the pitch is perfect. The Molex 2.54 mm socket is the one that fits like a glove, although it states up to 4 Amps on the Molex company website page. The Molex 5.08 still retains the friction fit, and the pin pitch is perfect. There rated up to 7 Amps, I've not got one to offer it up to the transistors legs to see fit and finish etc. I probably have to go with the Molex 2.54 mm socket because it's easily available. Unfortunately the Molex 5.08 mm socket seems a bit elusive in the friction fit version. The pc pin and socket version is readily available, but that's way to large in socket holes. It looks like there's two versions of the Molex 5.08 mm system, one the friction fit, and two the socket pin fit. Thanks again for all the help.
Straight solder up is the quickest option, and can handle all the current. I was just looking for a quick swap out interface idea.

Offline stevelup

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 07:07:02 pm »
RS in the UK will sell to anyone. Takes about two minutes to set up an account.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 08:08:44 pm »
Cheers all for the help  :) Yes I manage to register with RS, I must have been thinking back a few years when they only dealt with company's. A business colleuge registered back in the day.
Anyway I've managed to find the socket and crimps with the friction fit. It's the KK 508 series. It took a bit of searching for it, as there is another 5.08 pitch socket called spox. That has square profile socket crimps that look like interference fit. I do need the KK 2.54 mm sockets for TO220 package (voltage regulators) but pleased to have found a source for these connectors. Not sure how they will work out in practice, but I think it's worth a go. Thanks again for all the help.  :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 08:10:17 pm by sureshot »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 10:45:35 pm »
Only posting as it might be useful to some out there. Good fit up after that, molex kk 2.54 mm, for the TO220 and 5 pin Molex kk 2.54 mm. And Molex kk 5.08 mm 1003 series for the nylon clear socket. Good continuity. I would double check once in circuit. Very good fit though.

The following users thanked this post: Vgkid, Cody Turner OKC

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 02:09:08 am »
Well, you got them!

Post the links to the source in case is more useful to someone...

JS
If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf