Author Topic: Multicore HMP Solder  (Read 2934 times)

Offline azureflashTopic starter

Multicore HMP Solder
« on: September 06, 2014, 04:55:49 am »
Hello everyone, I didn't double-check the solder I was getting and accidentally bought a roll of Multicore HMP Ersin 366 solder wire, which is apparently a high melting point solder formulation (93.5% lead 5% tin 1.5% silver) with "extra activated" 1% Halide flux core, for ultra fast line assembly hand solder, difficult solder surfaces, increased creep resistance, operating temps -200C to +250C, blablabla...

That's all neat, but it's pretty wildly different from the standard 60/40 or 63/37 rosin activated stuff I was thinking of getting. As a beginner who has never soldered before, can I use this stuff with relatively little extra trouble or would it be worth it to try and exchange with Digi-key for something more standard? My iron can handle it (brand new Hakko FX-888D), but I'm worried I'll make messes on boards with that extra activated 1% Halide flux, or that I'll be restricted in the kind of components I can solder due to that high melting point...

Side question, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I'd like to clean the flux residues and produce really nice-looking boards, so what can I actually use to clean either that 1% halide extra active flux or the normal rosin flux? Is 99% alcohol and kimwipes okay, or do I need a special solvent? If for example I need a special solvent for HMP solder but not the standard stuff, then that would be one more reason to try and make an exchange or buy another roll sooner...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Multicore HMP Solder
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 08:41:06 am »
Hello everyone, I didn't double-check the solder I was getting and accidentally bought a roll of Multicore HMP Ersin 366 solder wire, which is apparently a high melting point solder formulation (93.5% lead 5% tin 1.5% silver) with "extra activated" 1% Halide flux core, for ultra fast line assembly hand solder, difficult solder surfaces, increased creep resistance, operating temps -200C to +250C, blablabla...
Welcome to the forum.
Get yourself a small amount (or 2) of low or medium temp solder and keep some of the HMP for any mains or high temp work.
Many of us have several different types for various uses. Mixing with lead-free for easier re-work, more active flux for dirty/old work, hard types for higher stress and our favorites of course.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf