Author Topic: Multimeter probes -different standards?  (Read 10893 times)

Offline analogixTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Multimeter probes -different standards?
« on: August 16, 2015, 07:31:32 pm »
Do multimeter probes come in different standards or do all of them fit any brand?

I have an old ST&T DMM 343 with bad leads and am considering getting a Uni-T UT61E as a replacement. Meanwhile, if possible, I'd like to extend the life of my existing meter by getting a new set of gold-plated Brymen test probe leads and continue to use them with the Uni-T meter.

The leads that came with my ST&T have probes with approx 2mm diameter while the ends that plug into the meter are around 3mm in diameter. Will the Brymen leads fit both my ST&T and the Uni-T meters?

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
Re: Multimeter probes -different standards?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 07:38:52 pm »
4 mm banana plugs are more or less universal as far as I know, all of them should work. The only problem could be the safety shroud that might not fit or be too long, but I doubt that will be a problem too.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 07:42:59 pm »
Ah yes -could be 4mm (the ones I have here are more square than round).
Thanks for clearing that up, fellow countryman  ;)

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 08:00:00 pm »

The probes you just listed from Franky are very good and I did consider buying them myself, but I like these much better: http://probemaster.com/8000-series-leads-only/ -- will see if I can get my hands on those first! Otherwise I'll order the Brymen ones.

If you're rich I got Agilent U1272A for sale :D (With probes and thermocouple!)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 08:23:48 pm »
Nice multimeter, but over my budget for a hobby meter.
I'm going for the Brymen probes.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 08:34:01 pm »
Er nok litt over budsjettet for enkel hobby bruk, hadde ikke tatt mindre enn to og et halvt tusen.

Great choice of probes :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 08:39:49 pm »
Thanks, should be much better than the standard steel ones  ;) Just ordered them from Franky. Heard only good stuff about him. Too bad about him not selling the Uni-T UT-61E any longer as I'll probably be getting it sooner or later.

Shouldn't be too hard to sell your Agilent I think -best of luck  :)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 12:54:45 am »
I have the Brymen probes that Frankie sells in a Fluke 27/FM.  They are very nice probes.  I will probably buy a couple more sets for my other meters.  I recommend fully.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline tech5940

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 06:23:22 pm »

The probes you just listed from Franky are very good and I did consider buying them myself, but I like these much better: http://probemaster.com/8000-series-leads-only/ -- will see if I can get my hands on those first! Otherwise I'll order the Brymen ones.

If you're rich I got Agilent U1272A for sale :D (With probes and thermocouple!)

In the above link to the probemaster 8000 series are the image link's broken foy anyone else? I can see the first picture only, but if you scroll down to see the different options available all of those pictures are broken links on my computer.  I've tried several browsers no differece.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 07:33:25 pm »
The plugs are often 4mm banana. With shroud if the class is high enough. But non shrouded also fits.

There is one evil thing some brands do. Then invert the fluke pinout. Pure evil.  >:D

http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/122255/Metrix-MX-26-Digital-Multimeter-and-Case-5000-counts

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 10:21:15 pm »
I'd like to extend the life of my existing meter by getting a new set of gold-plated Brymen test probe leads and continue to use them with the Uni-T meter.

I wouldn't buy $17 probes off eBay -- I think the risk of them being fake is too large. I'd recommend doing what I did: Buy genuine Fluke test leads (I chose the TL175) from amazon.com (USA) and have them shipped here. Yeah, they're not the cheapest, but they're fantastic quality. Just order some other stuff (like solder wire and solder wick) at the same time to make the shipping worthwhile. I can make some recommendations on the other stuff if you like. :)

Offline GoneTomorrow

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 01:16:02 am »
I'd like to extend the life of my existing meter by getting a new set of gold-plated Brymen test probe leads and continue to use them with the Uni-T meter.

I wouldn't buy $17 probes off eBay -- I think the risk of them being fake is too large. I'd recommend doing what I did: Buy genuine Fluke test leads (I chose the TL175) from amazon.com (USA) and have them shipped here. Yeah, they're not the cheapest, but they're fantastic quality. Just order some other stuff (like solder wire and solder wick) at the same time to make the shipping worthwhile. I can make some recommendations on the other stuff if you like. :)

New around here? That eBay seller is actually a member on this forum, and has an excellent track record. All of their products are definitely genuine, and the support is excellent.

Those probes are very nice too; a set of them came with my BM257s from that seller.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 01:23:06 am »
New around here?
Pretty sure you can figure that out yourself.
That eBay seller is actually a member on this forum, and has an excellent track record. All of their products are definitely genuine, and the support is excellent.

Those probes are very nice too; a set of them came with my BM257s from that seller.
That's good to know. Please forgive me for not knowing every seller on eBay; I hear there are several.

Offline GoneTomorrow

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 03:17:57 am »
New around here?
Pretty sure you can figure that out yourself.
That eBay seller is actually a member on this forum, and has an excellent track record. All of their products are definitely genuine, and the support is excellent.

That's good to know. Please forgive me for not knowing every seller on eBay; I hear there are several.

I should add, your advice in general is sound. Especially when it comes to things like soldering irons (if you had posted this in a Hakko thread, you would be bang on). There are few exceptions to eBay, but this would be one. Apologize if I came off a bit coarse.

Offline 3roomlab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 10:11:23 am »
4 mm banana plugs are more or less universal as far as I know, all of them should work. The only problem could be the safety shroud that might not fit or be too long, but I doubt that will be a problem too.

i have to disagree.

the size is common. but the material varies.
bad plating / bad alloys results in intermittent connections or connections with higher resistance. and to top it off, famous brand does not 100% means it is flawless.
im still a new explorer, but ever since randomly buying stuff to try, it has been quite an adventure

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 07:52:41 am »
I just received my gold-plated Brymen test leads from Franky (a highly praised eBay seller in these forums) and essentially got a new multimeter!  :-+
The contact problems are now completely gone and as a result I'll likely put off buying a new multimeter (most likely the Uni-T UT61E) as I had originally planned.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 09:35:22 am »
I should add, your advice in general is sound. Especially when it comes to things like soldering irons (if you had posted this in a Hakko thread, you would be bang on). There are few exceptions to eBay, but this would be one. Apologize if I came off a bit coarse.
Water under the bridge. :) I've added that seller to my favorites for future reference.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf