Author Topic: My shopping cart is now empty. This is what I bought:)  (Read 12034 times)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: My shopping cart. Please critique.
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 06:08:13 pm »
Yea i already bought my gear. Did I really need a particular piece of gear? I dont know. Ill soon find, or maybe I won't find out.

Yeah, you'll likely find out eventually. But you'll have plenty to keep you busy for a while.

About the oscilloscope, i had originally said I was going to get a basic scope for 399 amd some said get a better scope.

Everyone's needs and experiences are different. As a result, you'll get a wide range of answers here, especially when asking unbounded questions.

Enjoy all your new goodies! :-DMM
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2016, 08:09:28 pm »
You will want at least 4 meters. Seriously, I find myself hooking up lots of meters all the time. More info is better to have. It makes it much easier to see what is working right and wrong.

I have a few handhelds (Fluke 87V, Fluke 27, Triplett 60 (favorite analog), Triplett 631, Simpson 260, an old RadioShack meter I bought in college (25years ago)) but I tend to use the bench meters (I have 5) the most because they are always setup and ready to go. The require no batteries, and have Nixie ( https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/nixie-tube-fluke-8100b-dmm/msg768407/#msg768407 ), VFD, LED or otherwise illuminated displays. You can get nice 4.5 Flukes for less than $50 on eBay. I got a 6.5 digit Keithley for less than my 87V. You really don't need insane accuracy for most of your meters. Just one or two really good ones.

It can be very useful to have an analog meter or two. This makes it very easy to see trends, to peak circuits, etc. I would suggest a Triplett 60 (I have type2) as it is extremely rugged and crazy accurate for an analog meter.

I am a big fan of VTVMs as well. They are usually at least 11Meg input impedance (I have one that  is 26Megs). They are quite cheap on eBay, and easy to work on.

So a long post to say be sure you have a number of meters, even if some of them are the Harbor Freight trash meter, which can easily be used to measure voltage in small circuits.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 08:40:55 pm by FlyingHacker »

Offline cvrivTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2016, 06:39:22 pm »
You will want at least 4 meters. Seriously, I find myself hooking up lots of meters all the time. More info is better to have. It makes it much easier to see what is working right and wrong.

I have a few handhelds (Fluke 87V, Fluke 27, Triplett 60 (favorite analog), Triplett 631, Simpson 260, an old RadioShack meter I bought in college (25years ago)) but I tend to use the bench meters (I have 5) the most because they are always setup and ready to go. The require no batteries, and have Nixie ( https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/nixie-tube-fluke-8100b-dmm/msg768407/#msg768407 ), VFD, LED or otherwise illuminated displays. You can get nice 4.5 Flukes for less than $50 on eBay. I got a 6.5 digit Keithley for less than my 87V. You really don't need insane accuracy for most of your meters. Just one or two really good ones.

It can be very useful to have an analog meter or two. This makes it very easy to see trends, to peak circuits, etc. I would suggest a Triplett 60 (I have type2) as it is extremely rugged and crazy accurate for an analog meter.

I am a big fan of VTVMs as well. They are usually at least 11Meg input impedance (I have one that  is 26Megs). They are quite cheap on eBay, and easy to work on.

So a long post to say be sure you have a number of meters, even if some of them are the Harbor Freight trash meter, which can easily be used to measure voltage in small circuits.

Oh yea. That was one thing I learned real quick... was hooking up multiple meters/ using the oscilloscope. The more you see the better.

I have plans to buy a nice Fluke with a temp probe, but not right now. I have to make sure i get all the basics now along with all the little things as well. Im working on all the little things now. If i have any money left that im will to spend, i might buy a fluke, i dont know, but i definitely want one.

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2016, 03:28:41 am »
For low voltage stuff most any meter will work OK. If you plan on sticking it on mains that is when it is nice to have a well built meter.

Fluke 27fm is pretty cheap on eBay, and a good mains meter. Dave has a video on one. The older ones are just as good as the newer yellow one he reviews, though, and cheaper.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2016, 07:41:06 am »
Ehhh, Im not going to be checking mains. Ill be doing all low voltage stuff. Ill definitely pick up more meters in the near future.

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2016, 12:31:14 pm »
When you get around to a 2nd meter, I'd suggest you look at the Fluke 87V or the EEVblog BM235 Multimeter.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2016, 12:41:56 pm »
Before buy anything , Buy a Fluke 87V  this is the priority item to buy

What do you plan to use those instruments ?

Do you want price / performance right  not the  expen$$$$$$ive High end right.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 05:01:26 pm »
What do you plan to use those instruments ?

@cvriv:

What ebclr posted above is the most important question. If, for example, you need to measure very small changes in voltage or current, most handheld DMMs will not suffice because they lack the resolution.

Collecting together your requirements with as much specificity as possible will yield the best advice when asking on the forum.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2016, 02:14:41 am »
Already made my purchases. I plan on doing a lot of low voltage stuff. I am very happy with everything I bought. The DMM is the last thing to arrive in the mail.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2016, 05:42:53 am »
Great. Enjoy all your new goodies! :-DMM

Offline 3db

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2016, 01:04:22 pm »
Personally, I went with used equipment, even though I am in my early forties and have a real job with excellent income. However, my job is not electronics.

I would get high end equipment that was old or needed repair. Like buying a used Mercedes vs. a new Hyundai. One is quality that will last for many years. The other will get you from point A to point B for not much money, but won't last terribly long (I don't want to start a car flame war, but I think you get the point of the analogy.)

I have learned a lot repairing equipment. Older test equipment often has really detailed service manuals. They go over the theory of operation, the schematics, trouble shooting etc. You learn a ton form these documents.

Flame ON.   ;D

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2016, 07:08:41 am »
Was messing around with the function generator and oscilloscope.... holy hell they are so much better than what I was using at the college. The oscilloscope is amazing. I ordered a whole ton of small stuff now. I literally have at least 10 separate packages coming in the mail. I got wires, all kinds of connectors, pincers, electronic components, solder, extra solder tips.... I forgot exactly what I bought. LOL. I should have what I need now to get started.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2016, 07:14:17 am »
I certainly hope so. You're on a roll.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2016, 07:29:40 am »
Yea i already bought my gear. Did I really need a particular piece of gear? I dont know. Ill soon find, or maybe I won't find out.

People will go on for years telling you what to buy.   You can modify your title to indicate that you are finished.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2016, 07:31:25 am »
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2016, 05:10:32 pm »
I'll change the title right away.

Thanks for the ljnk ez24:) The only components I bought right now are the componets i used in school. I want to mess around with those more to get a better understanding of them. I definitely want to buy more though.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2016, 06:34:18 pm »
Once you got everything how about this title:

My shopping cart - What I bought

and include links

thanks

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2016, 10:07:24 pm »
A significant title change might require adjusting the post body to make it all fit together conceptually. Another possibility is to prepend or append something like "(Resolved)" to the existing title so the rest of the thread maintains its continuity.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2016, 10:46:01 pm »
Gotcha. What do you mean by links? Link to where I bought everything?

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2016, 12:09:31 am »
Gotcha. What do you mean by links? Link to where I bought everything?
Yes - it might help someone if they are interested in the same thing
thanks

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
Re: My shopping cart is now empty. This is what I bought:)
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2016, 04:03:46 am »
Nice summary of your shopping.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2016, 04:06:53 am »
Thanks. Im having a slight issue with tequipment. They have yet to ship my DMM. It was suppose to ship on the 22nd and then the ship date was changed to the 24th. I emailed them on the 24th and was told that it would ship on the 24th and that I should recieve a tracking info that day or the latest on the following monday, the 27th. Well it's now the 28th as I am writing this at 12am. I chatted and called them on the 27th and they told me the same thing that I was told on the 24th. I checked online, my account, and it still hasnt shipped. Keep in mind that everything else I ordered from them I have already recieved. This is getting to be pretty annoying. Anyone experience anything like this with them? They are not telling me anything. When I purchased the DMM, their website said it was in stock as well. Everything I ordered was in stock. 

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2016, 05:04:01 am »
Thanks. Im having a slight issue with tequipment. They have yet to ship my DMM. It was suppose to ship on the 22nd and then the ship date was changed to the 24th. I emailed them on the 24th and was told that it would ship on the 24th and that I should recieve a tracking info that day or the latest on the following monday, the 27th. Well it's now the 28th as I am writing this at 12am. I chatted and called them on the 27th and they told me the same thing that I was told on the 24th. I checked online, my account, and it still hasnt shipped. Keep in mind that everything else I ordered from them I have already recieved. This is getting to be pretty annoying. Anyone experience anything like this with them? They are not telling me anything. When I purchased the DMM, their website said it was in stock as well. Everything I ordered was in stock.

Shit happens - I would not worry - TE has a good reputation

Maybe PM them?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 05:09:08 am by ez24 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2016, 05:58:36 am »
Ive emailed them, chatted them, and called them. They keep telling me the same thing... It will ship and it hasn't. Its been 5 business days and it hasnt shipped.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf