Author Topic: My UPS saved me from shock?  (Read 4880 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline vk6zgo

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4173
  • Country: au
Re: My UPS saved me from shock?
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 07:19:51 pm »
Thank you very much everyone!!!
Sorry I cannot reply one by one, so I'll say things in one post.

The current do flow between by hands because another hand is touching a ground line and feel pain.
My hand was a little wet because of working, so I think the resistance won't be too high.
I'm currently living in China, so it's 220v AC.
I did not feel stick to it, nor bounce away, nor burn, I can even remember that second clearly and I move away my hand using my mind, not muscle reflect. I feel so strange...
I usually very careful, but these days I was working on a computer power supply without the metal case, I first thought it's a 110v line inside, but I'm sure it's 220v later because I feel the same touching the plug directly, but without touching the ground line this time.
I don't know if there should be a "electronic leaking protect" switch that should cut off the power somewhere in  the house, however it never react.

Thank you everyone again, I will be careful next time.

If you are in China,it's the real thing---220v ac between Active & Neutral,& hence also to Earth.
Do not touch it again---that is what meters are for!
 

Online station240

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 754
  • Country: au
Re: My UPS saved me from shock?
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 08:43:11 pm »
As for the original post, you actually have two auto transformers, as a Line Interactive UPS has an auto transformer internally.
I'd assume one of them is limiting the current flow.

However as it only takes 20mA to stop the heart, even low currents can be lethal.

To be honest a full isolation transformer would be better, as far as limiting the smoke output of whatever failed device you have connected to the output.
 

Offline MarkS

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 528
  • Country: us
Re: My UPS saved me from shock?
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 10:58:01 pm »
 |O :palm: Yes, 120 degrees out of phase. It was a typo. I was typing on a tiny phone keyboard in a hurry in the middle of a store. Geez....
 

Offline Brumby

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 7579
  • Country: au
Re: My UPS saved me from shock?
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 11:02:42 pm »
It's an EE forum.  If you're going to throw a typo - don't pick a phase angle!

Murphy will get you every time.   ;D
 

Offline MarkS

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 528
  • Country: us
Re: My UPS saved me from shock?
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2016, 11:11:00 pm »
It's an EE forum.  If you're going to throw a typo - don't pick a phase angle!

Murphy will get you every time.   ;D

Yeah... Make a simple mistake in a forum populated by engineers and you'll never hear the end of it! :scared:
 

Offline Mechatrommer

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8184
  • Country: my
  • reassessing directives...
Re: My UPS saved me from shock?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 11:51:41 pm »
I was typing on a tiny phone keyboard in a hurry in the middle of a store. Geez....
i'm more concern of this than touching mains with a finger...
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/shortcuts/2013/jun/18/smartphones-and-rise-of-child-accidents
if something can select, how cant it be intelligent? if something is intelligent, how cant it exist?
 

Offline sam1275

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 401
  • Country: us
Re: My UPS saved me from shock?
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 11:31:31 am »
As for the original post, you actually have two auto transformers, as a Line Interactive UPS has an auto transformer internally.
I'd assume one of them is limiting the current flow.

However as it only takes 20mA to stop the heart, even low currents can be lethal.

To be honest a full isolation transformer would be better, as far as limiting the smoke output of whatever failed device you have connected to the output.
Sorry, I only have one that inside the UPS, I don't have another one..
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf