Author Topic: Narrowed it down to two scope  (Read 3183 times)

Offline tony3dTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Narrowed it down to two scope
« on: November 25, 2013, 04:19:16 pm »
Ok, I final narrowed it down to just two scope…… The Rigol DS1102E, and the Owon SDS7072.  The Rigol is 100 mhz, and Owon is 70mhz. Both are 1GS/s. The Owon has a much lager, and higher resolution screen, can be run on battery for total isolation, come's with a 3 year warranty, and offers an impressive 10 megs of record memory! I know the Owon's screen refresh rate is very slow, but the Rigol's is not that much faster, so glitches would be hard to find on either. The way I see it, if your not prepared to spend at least $1200 on a scope your not going to find a much improved scope to help track down glitching. With the fact that I probably won't be dealing much with high speed digital circuits (mainly amplifier, and Capacitor charging circuits), I see no reason to look past these two scopes. Based on these two given everything said which would be the better buy? Thanks, and if I have made some major mis-interpretation here please LET ME KNOW. I only have a total of $450.00 to spend. This will be my Christmas.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 04:21:14 pm by tony3d »

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
Re: Narrowed it down to two scope
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 09:00:25 pm »
Without hesitation I recommend this scope above the others you mentioned.  30,000 waveform updates per second is far greater than the ~1,000 or so you'll get with that old Rigol or that Owon.

Getting started, it is unlikely you'll need > 70MHz right away.  It is more likely that you'll need 4 channels, too.

I realize it's out of your budget, and you may not need 30,000 wfm/s but if you think you'll need 4 channels anytime within the next 5 years, I would find away to get the extra budget required.

Offline tony3dTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 09:13:40 pm »
Without hesitation I recommend this scope above the others you mentioned.  30,000 waveform updates per second is far greater than the ~1,000 or so you'll get with that old Rigol or that Owon.

Getting started, it is unlikely you'll need > 70MHz right away.  It is more likely that you'll need 4 channels, too.

I realize it's out of your budget, and you may not need 30,000 wfm/s but if you think you'll need 4 channels anytime within the next 5 years, I would find away to get the extra budget required.

No way could I afford that. Wish I could.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 10:29:44 pm »
Well, Rigol is a respected manufacturer of many kind of test equipment. While Owon has always been a low level brand, they have big LCDs and nothing else.  :-- :--
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 07:24:49 am »
Well, Rigol is a respected manufacturer of many kind of test equipment. While Owon has always been a low level brand, they have big LCDs and nothing else.  :-- :--

If copare Rigol DS1102E and Owon SDS7102V  Owon beats it in many important things.

Far better analog front end, less noise, more fast risetime, better freq response including also better BW flatness.

Rigol have half speed 1M memory.
Owon have 10M+10M full speed memory. 
- 1 channel in use and speed 500us/div Rigol samplerate is 50MSa/s and Owon 1GSa/s
-- it means that Rigol hit Nyquist limit at 25MHz with this speed and Owon 500MHz
yes Rigol can show infinite continuous and pure clean sinewave up to 25MHz with this speed without aliasing.
(it is better say that example with this speed Rigol is 5-6MHz scope and Owon is 100-120MHz MHz scope (if 500us/div is selected))

This table tell lot of. Do not look only "up to" samplerates. Look reality in practice.

( http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x2/aghp55/Rigol_Owon_Hantek_samplerate_cmp.jpg )

--- Rigol use interleaved multi ADC system 10pcs separately clocked 40MHz ADC's as Owon use single chip like AD08D500  where also both ADC's clock derived inside chip from same clock and ADC have also internal cal)

Owon front end  noise level is same or better than Rigol DS2000

Owon frequency BW -3dB point is typically over 170MHz (@50mV/div related to 1MHz 300mVpp sinewave at 1MHz as 0dB ref) 

Please do these same tests with Rigol DS1102E and show real results with methods what can also repeat in any lab.
http://owon.freeforums.org/some-tests-with-new-sds7102v-version-2-6-and-2-8-2-t10-10.html

Owon (V model) have real time SVGA output for external monitor.

Owon have optional LiCoO2 battery what give typically over 4h full use time.

Owon is very thin -- around 80mm including knobs and BNC's (nice on the trawel)

Owon do not have windoved zoom  as Rigol BUT Owon have full window zoom and this means that zoomed window use sampling speed related to zoomed window time/div. Rigol use main window sampling speed in zoomed (bottom) window.  But this is - one like apple one like orange.  This is not that they can not do this, it is selection and they have selected this. There is pros and cons. (also some "big name" have previously selected this method in some models)

Owon  FFT is  better than Rigol DS1000E
http://owon.freeforums.org/some-tests-with-fft-t8.html

I like to see same test with DS1102E

Owon sin(x)/x works "right".  Rigol (DS1000E) have been  previously real shit. ( I do not know if they have repaired this in more new firmwares - or if it still continue this mistake)

And also more. Example separate adjustments for separate channels.

Only difference  bigger TFT????

Noise is easy peace of cake for DIY repair / modify but if compare normally working units from factory Owon is just silent as chinese electric bicycle and Rigol is like Chengdu J-10 take up.

Owon did previously bad mistake where power main and sub  supplies produce heavy EMI what can pollute signal under test but today it is only history. (it is very sad for these end users who have get these units and who have not been in position to get seller help for repair these  - how Owon hanled this case is some amount shame - but I hope they have learned something)

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:27:38 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf