Author Topic: Need a recommendation for a volume control knob please  (Read 1785 times)

Offline bradleyheathhaysTopic starter

Need a recommendation for a volume control knob please
« on: March 23, 2017, 06:35:45 am »
Complete novice here, and I'm trying to figure out what little volume control knob I need to splice into this wire here...

...in order to control the volume of the speaker on this 2 C cell powered alarm device.  This is part of a 2 unit warning system where one box is the motion sensor, and the one pictured is the remote alarm.  When viewed from the outside of the box (through the protective vents), the speaker appears to be made of copper foil.

I have no clue what to look for even if the part was described to me, so would someone please be kind enough to provide a link for a small volume control knob I could splice in that would be appropriate for this application.  Ideally I'd like to drill a small hole and mount it so the knob protrudes through to the outside of the plastic box.

Thanks!

Offline anishkgt

• Frequent Contributor
    • George Hobby
Re: Need a recommendation for a volume control knob please
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 08:38:50 am »
Probably and 10k potentiometer would do. A volume control is also called a potentiometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 09:22:30 am »
Maybe so. The "speaker" looks to me like a piezoelectric element. Will a potentiometer (pot) give the desired result?

If you want to try it, you'd wire it like this. The pot has three terminals. The middle one is the "wiper" and will connect to one side of the speaker element. The original two leads from the circuit board connect to the outer two terminals of the pot. The remaining lead from the speaker connects to one of the outer terminals of the pot.

And of course you will want to put an actual "knob" onto the shaft of the pot once you have it installed and tested! There are a bazillion styles of knobs out there.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 09:25:27 am by alsetalokin4017 »
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline anishkgt

• Frequent Contributor
    • George Hobby
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 09:24:55 am »
Maybe so. The "speaker" looks to me like a piezoelectric element. Will a potentiometer (pot) give the desired result?

Well, worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bradleyheathhaysTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 03:30:49 am »
Sorry so late getting back here...too many irons in the fire lately.

But thanks for the advice. That sounds like exactly what I needed to hear.  I'll prob get a 10k and 1k pot and wire them in and see what happens.  If it doesn't work out I'll come on back and to describe how it went.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf