Author Topic: Need advice on choosing a multimeter  (Read 4425 times)

Offline ehayashi300Topic starter

Need advice on choosing a multimeter
« on: January 23, 2013, 03:00:01 pm »
Hello Everyone

I am considering a new multimeter purchase, my last one was a cheap $25 meter purchased from eBay and honestly it has served me well.  I have a higher budget now so I have been looking at the range made by Fluke, as I have heard they are a reputable brand.  This one in particular interests me.

http://www.newark.com/fluke/fluke-117/multimeter-digital-handheld/dp/83K1721

I think it does everything I need, but just wanted to check there’s no point looking further up the range?  I’m primarily going to be using it for tinkering with Arduino kits, audio amps etc.

It has a lot of functions, some I would use immediately and some might be useful to have.  I am trying to stick to a $200 budget… Is there any point spending more of the higher end models just in case I need one down line?

Fancier alternatives include:

Fluke 177
Fluke 87-5

Thanks
Edward

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
Re: Need advice on choosing a multimeter
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 03:11:33 pm »
the main concern about the fluke 117 is that it is a meter for electricians and hvac installers, not for electronicians because it doesnt have a uA range. the fluke 177 is better with a mA range, and the 87-5 has the uA range. but they are more expensive.
you choose !

Online Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 04:52:12 pm »
Don't want to spend the big bucks for a Fluke but want safety and function and accuracy?

Amprobe AM-270  $90 Good rugged meter with basically one flaw, poor backlight, good safety
Amprobe AM-140  $170 Good rugged meter with higher accuracy, no temperature, poor backlight, good safety
Amprobe AM-160  $270 Same as above with temperature and higher accuracy
UEi DM 397  $240  Good rugged meter with good safety, PC connection and software included, great accuracy
Brymen BM857A  $142  Similar to AM-140
Brymen BM869  $240  Top of the line Brymen, safe, well built, high accuracy
Agilent U1242B $230 Agilent quality with good specs

There you go, a nice wide range. Personally I am partial to the Amprobe AM-270 as a really good buy, The Brymens too are good meters and are actually the OEM for the Amprobe AM series. The UEi was one I tried to buy but ended up having to cancel it when the delivery was going to be months.

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 05:16:40 pm »
As an electrician I am with kripton2035, the 100 series are for electricians indeed. Alternatives which showed by Lightages are good meters, if you are in the US I would try Fluke 87V or even get a second hand one, it will serve you for years, you can give it to your grand children and they can use it for years again  ^-^

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 05:54:55 pm »
I bought a used fluke 189 very nice one for EUR 150 hope it will serve me a long time !

Offline jnd

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 11:49:56 pm »
Compared even to the low model of Agilent, the U1232A, Fluke 117 looks overpriced with just basic features and only one Amps range. I used the 117 for 4 years, few weeks ago we got the new U1232A and after few days I would just exchange it immediately. If you can spend a bit more then you can consider Brymen BM867, very good meter for the price, it has all the current ranges you'll need. It's not accurate to the last digit (but still holds the same value compared after a year to 10V standard) but measures up to some 1300 volts before the overvoltage protection kicks in which I haven't tried, 117 displays OL after some measly 600 volts ;D
Wannabe volt-nut, slowly hunting solid meters with low budget.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 01:11:53 am »
Since the OP also asked at badcaps.net, I wrote my opinions at

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=306160

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 03:52:18 am »
If you're not set on brand new, a used one may allow you to get an excellent meter at a real bargain (would likely need to be rather patient due to eBay causing prices on used gear to climb to the Stratosphere). Still possible to get a really good deal though.

As per new, Lightages put up a great selection of meters IMHO.

BTW, if you're in the US, you might want to consider taking a look at this (Brymen BM857A; http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-True-RMS-CAT-IV-Precision-Multimeter-500-000-Count-Brymen-BM857-/121051191083?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2f36972b).

Online Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 03:57:24 am »
If I were in the US I would jump on that ebay deal, as fast as I could.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 03:59:58 am »
If I were in the US I would jump on that ebay deal, as fast as I could.
+1  :-+

I may have gotten it cheaper, but it's still an incredible deal IMHO. Guy's if you live in the US, grab one if you need another meter (or can't help yourself  :P).  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf