Author Topic: Need advice/help on 0.4mm pitch SMD soldering  (Read 10122 times)

Offline troop231Topic starter

• Contributor
Need advice/help on 0.4mm pitch SMD soldering
« on: November 23, 2013, 05:08:16 pm »
Hello, this is my first post here, and I'd like to say thank you in advance for taking the time to help me out. I'm wrapping up my first project, and am frustrated that I cannot get my last connector soldered onto the board without the pads bridging together. This is a 0.4mm pitch, 30 pin, board to board connector. I'm using Chip Quik Low Melting Lead Free Solder Paste, and that seems to be working quite well, based on good results from a 0.8mm pitch connector. I'm using a toaster oven, and it seems to be working just fine for my needs.

I try to fix the solder bridges on the 0.4mm connector with my soldering iron, but no matter what I do I simply cannot get them fixed without ruining the connector. This may be a result of finding it impossible to apply the solder paste in the correct amount onto the pads; using a toothpick I run a string of paste over the length on each side of the 15 pins. Even this still seems like too much paste, and therefore creates bridging. After ruining several connectors and wasting hours of time, I'm getting a headache over this, and thought I would post here for help.

It stinks being this close to wrapping up my project. Thank you again for your time and help! Here's two pics of what I'm dealing with (the second pic shows the connector loose on the board, as I had to remove it using Chip Quick SMD removal alloy):

« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 05:11:15 pm by troop231 »

Offline M0BSW

• Frequent Contributor
  • Left this site 2013, they will not delete it ????
Re: Need advice/help on 0.4mm pitch SMD soldering
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 08:20:39 pm »
Try these it may help you, these are by Alan W2AEW       and this one 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:22:13 pm by M0BSW »
no one would or will tell me how to delete this account

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 08:56:46 pm »
Try these it may help you, these are by Alan W2AEW

Thank you for the video links. So do you think I should try manually soldering it instead of toaster oven reflow?

Offline M0BSW

• Frequent Contributor
  • Left this site 2013, they will not delete it ????
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 09:08:43 pm »
 I've never tried the oven reflow , but I do use the methods in these video's, which works for me.
no one would or will tell me how to delete this account

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 09:14:13 pm »
I've never tried the oven reflow , but I do use the methods in these video's, which works for me.

Thank you for your suggestion. I may need to simply order a hypodermic needle for my solder paste, as the included one is way too big.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 09:30:56 pm »

Thank you for your suggestion. I may need to simply order a hypodermic needle for my solder paste, as the included one is way too big.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121126252031

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 09:35:44 pm »

I just ordered some 30 gauge (0.3mm) needles on ebay from the same state I live in, so hopefully those will do the job.  :)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 09:36:32 pm »

I just ordered some 30 gauge (0.3mm) needles on ebay from the same state I live in, so hopefully those will do the job.  :)

That should work nicely. Steady hand and clean pads (I trust you've got some wick).

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 09:44:10 pm »
That should work nicely. Steady hand and clean pads (I trust you've got some wick).

Indeed, and flux as well. The needles are slightly larger than the pad size (pads are 0.22mm width) but hopefully it will do the job.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 09:46:19 pm »
As long as you only apply a tiny amount and don't let it spread out when you place the connector, you should manage..

If not, you can get smaller.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 09:56:02 pm »

FYI, The inner diameter (lumen diameter) of a 30 gauge is 0.159 mm.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 09:58:51 pm »
As long as you only apply a tiny amount and don't let it spread out when you place the connector, you should manage..

If not, you can get smaller.

Yeah, hopefully. I couldn't find smaller needles locally (Hong Kong takes awhile). If I got somewhat decent results only using a toothpick and spreading the paste out all at once, I can't imagine how well the new needles will do when I put the paste individually on each pad.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 09:59:18 pm »

FYI, The inner diameter (lumen diameter) of a 30 gauge is 0.159 mm.

Ah, see, there you go.

Stupid arbitrary gauges.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 10:06:34 pm »

Ah, see, there you go.

Stupid arbitrary gauges.

LOL - yeah well..

I have no experience using solder paste but based on experience pushing other things through small needles, I would worry that something with high viscosity would be difficult to push through a 30 gauge needle.

You could go up to a 27 guage needle with an I.D. of 0.21 mm ...

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 10:07:58 pm »

Ah, see, there you go.

Stupid arbitrary gauges.

LOL - yeah well..

I have no experience using solder paste but based on experience pushing other things through small needles, I would worry that something with high viscosity would be difficult to push through a 30 gauge needle.

You could go up to a 27 guage needle with an I.D. of 0.21 mm ...

The ones I've been using are 0.25mm and are no trouble.

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 10:29:22 pm »
Hopefully I won't have to order any more needles. I'm already in far deeper into this project in time and money than I would like, lol but that's what a project is supposed to be like I guess :)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 03:07:43 pm »
I have been using a hypodermic needle for years to apply flux.  It works great for precise placement.  It should work great for precise placement of the solder paste also.  Good luck.

Tom, NW0LF
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf