Author Topic: Need help finding the problem on a board  (Read 2198 times)

Offline mrfixitTopic starter

Need help finding the problem on a board
« on: June 02, 2014, 05:02:53 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm not an electrical engineer but an avid DIYer, cost of living keeps going up but my bank account doesn't so I find it necessary to be able to fix pretty well everything, there's really not a whole lot I can't fix at this point except electrical devices but that is something I'm trying to changed. I have successfully fixed a couple things (mostly just cold solder joints) recently and as fate would have it I have something else fall into my lap.

Friends of ours wanted Rock Band (yea they're a bit late I know) so we came accross the drup set and guitar on a site, bought it for them and when we got it home the drums don't work. the person we bought it from won't refund the money so now we're stuck with s and I figured may as well have a go at fixing it.

The drums get power but they do not get recognized by the wii, none of the buttons register or anything.

I have attached a photo of the board, my uneducated thoughts are a couple sketchy solder joints on the bottom right hand corner of the 588A Module, as well as C25 and C26 both have solder on them but there is nothing joining them like on the rest of those.

What do you guys think? Can you spot the problem? Are there things I should test? (I do have a multimeter)

Thank you in advance for any help you can lend.

Offline Rudane

• Regular Contributor
    • Electrical Engineering 101
Re: Need help finding the problem on a board
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 07:42:22 pm »
I'd check the continuity of the wires first. Hopefully it's just a bad cable.
Voltage appears across and current flows through.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 03:46:43 pm »
It's gonna be very hard to try and get a redding through the usb connector but I'll try, can't see it being the cable though there's no kinks or breaks and there is goos train relief on it.

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 03:29:27 pm »
Anyone have any other thoughts? What about the solder joings on the board?

Offline Zillolo

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 03:45:07 pm »
Did you check the supply voltage of the board? How high is it?

Offline katzohki

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 06:05:34 pm »
Reflow any solder joints you like. Can't hurt if you do a good enough job. Just reflow, don't add much solder. I'd start with any joint that had a wire connected to it, or any connector. Clean the board with alcohol while you're at it. Check electrolytic caps for bulging and other signs of failure. Find ground, plug the unit in and probe to see if power is getting distributed throughout the board. There are test points, see what their voltages are.

See what results all that gets you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf