Author Topic: NEED HELP with Power Supply for PS3 cech-2002b tear down and calibration  (Read 4923 times)

Offline NuttyTopic starter

In an attempt to fix my PS3 (which I actually thought needed the solder reflowing for the cpu and gpu chips). I stupidly followed the advice of other people on youtube who suggested turning the potentiometers anticlockwise in the power supply, which I did. I did not mark the trimpots before altering them so I have no idea where they were originally and being someone who is all new to this electro stuff I do not know how to recalibrate it.. I think I'll need a multimeter and that's as far as my knowledge goes. I do not want to blow anything up, and I am a total novice.

So if anyone out there can offer advice, I am all ears.

Cheers

Offline lapm

• Frequent Contributor
For that sort of non existent knowledge base, what the heck are you doing trying to fix PS3 console? You just ruined any chance of getting it to warranty. BGA reflow is not something i would consider good thing to do with someone that barely knows what multimeter is.

Maybe you should try ask those same people how to set your output voltage from PSU? Calibration is something else. At least if were talking actual https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calibration. What your after is adjustment.

You do know how much voltage you need out of that PSU? How accurate it needs to be (Might require better multimeter then that 5$ special). Also where to measure this voltage your after..

My topmost advice: Take this PS3 and its powersupply to someone that knows what they are doing. Chances are high that you may damage it more.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 06:30:37 am by lapm »
Electronics, Linux, Programming, Science... im interested all of it...

ps3 is out of warranty.. and I'm using it to learn on. This is the way I learn, so don't give me grief about it. :wtf:

I will be attempting to reflow the solder and use the no clean flux pens recommended, and then reapply thermal paste. I don't care if I bugger it up more.

Thanks

Offline lapm

• Frequent Contributor
I'm sorry if i came out too strong. Its just i have seen my fair share of people new to electronics try fix something and end up braking it even more. Turning what used to be simple fix into disaster.. All because they just didn't understand yet. See enough where changing 0.35$ part turns into changing 35$ parts, you get it... And your friends newer understand why it can cost that much in parts...

I honestly thought your objective was to fix it, so you could play it... But clearly i was wrong. Since this is your practice piece, go for it...

Personally i just happen to think there are easier ways to learn electronics then attempting to fix game consoles bad BGA soldering...

Well at least you have learned something already. Always take note of positions of adjustment knobs and trimmers before you touch them...

But then seriously, you need to know whats the voltage you need out of that PSU if your going to adjust it. Otherwise what do you adjust it for? Some digital stuff has strict requirement what that voltage should be.

Re-flowing BGA? Well that's heat issue, how to get enough heat there without damaging components around that BGA chip.. Most people use hot-air soldering station..

Word of advice about thermal paste, you need often less then you think.. I had to learn this hard way few times..
Electronics, Linux, Programming, Science... im interested all of it...

Offline poot36

• Frequent Contributor
The voltages that I have seen for the older fat PS3s is 5V for standby 12V for most of the motherboard and 5V for I think the USB ports.  On the newer slim PS3s there may be a lower voltage 3.3V line as well.  If the pots are configured normally then anticlockwise should be the minimum setting.  If the PS3 does not start up then they are to low.  I would really get a multimeter to verify the voltage output.  Failing that start by turning one of the pots a quarter of a turn from anticlockwise and try to start the PS3 again.  If it trys to work adjust the other pot a quarter of a turn and see what happens.  If nothing happens still take both pots to there halfway point and try again.  If still no startup reset both pots to the anticlockwise position and get a multimeter or see if you can find a picture of your power supply online that shows where the pots should be set.

Offline tron9000

• Frequent Contributor
  • Still an Electronics Lab Tech
    • My Hack-a-day project page
For that sort of non existent knowledge base, what the heck are you doing trying to fix PS3 console? You just ruined any chance of getting it to warranty.

In some way your right:
http://www.hotukdeals.com/freebies/free-replacement-psp-or-ps3-for-your-125130

Mind you this was 7 years ago, I think sony may have closed this "amnesty" period!

Also its only Guaranteed for a year from manuf. defects:

http://uk.playstation.com/media/DRY5cQ9F/EU%20Guarantee_vf2.pdf - page 18

But fair play, if you can get it working. Even better if you can play something on it.

I still wish i had mine....still wish I could get hold of the scrotum who stole it!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 08:23:32 am by tron9000 »
Partsbox.io - orangise your parts!
"If you're green you can only ripen. If you're ripe you can only rot!"

Thanks Poot36 will try your suggestion. I have a friend help me, he has a multimeter and knows a bit about electrics.

Tron9000... HA! yes all Thieves are Scrotums but not all Scrotums are Thieves. :box:

Offline rickselectricalprojects

• Regular Contributor
NEED HELP with Power Supply for PS3 cech-2002b tear down and calibration
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 01:48:09 am »
Unless you know how to get the output voltages correct and/or turn the posts back to there original position you might need to buy a new power supply or upgrade to a ps4[emoji6]

Offline preludelinux

I still have a ps3 where the power supply caught on fire. Was sitting there and smoke just poured out of it was the third replacement and out of warranty. Well it sits with an atx pc power supply dangling behind it. Design failure not to have A fan on the psu. ...  they pushed that pus to its limits.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf