Author Topic: New Electronics tech. salary question?  (Read 17392 times)

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
Re: New Electronics tech. salary question?
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2012, 06:15:37 pm »
Yeah he's a major douche. Seems like everyone out of state admires him, but nah, he's an ass. I agree that NJ isn't perfect and that we have a lot to fix but he's too much at once.

Offline etstudentTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2012, 06:34:55 pm »
Yeah i DON'T want a political discussion because they turn UGLY and FAST. I was talking about his ego, or his image he thinks he has. Its a bit, just a bit  :-[.
Anyway I am glad we have Thomas Edison state college here, really anyone can attend, but I am feeling good about going into the AAS Electrical-mechanical systems and maintenance program. I think this is a perfect transition from the ET course to go into. I want a real degree, something I never thought I'd be going for!

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2012, 06:06:50 pm »
I just saw a TE billboard on the Turnpike the other day. I'm a senior in high school so I'm going to try to get into Rutgers electrical engineering, that or TCNJ where my brother went for Civil... But yeah I've heard good things about Thomas Edison. Is that for adults only or something?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2012, 06:32:39 pm »
Oh if you can get into Electrical engineering it would be the smartest move you could make. Rutgers is very, very good too. My brother-in-law went there, but not for EE. He told me though their EE programs are outstanding and very respected. If i could go back to HS, and talk some sense into myself at the times, I'd scream at myself to get into Electrical engineering. A guy I know finished school and stepped directly into an 80 grand a year job. I do what i can to make up for lost time, Electrical and mechanical maintenance.
About Thomas Edison state college, it says for adults, but i don't understand what that mean exactly. I mean will they not allow a 19 year old to enroll? In any event i hear great things about them. They were ranked by Forbes mag as a top 20 schools for use of technology or something like that. Its a real good school I hear, and respected by industry.
Good luck on your decision for schools and what to do. EE is a GREAT choice!

Offline StubbornGreek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2012, 04:07:27 am »
First off, I can't believe there's so many of us from NJ in this thread, lol - out of how many US members?...

Ok, there's some good advice in this thread (particularly those say that sticking with it pays in the long-run).

If I may express two things:

1) You mention that 'if' you could go back to your high-school self and... Well, it doesn't sound like you're that old at all actually (year or two out of HS?). What I'm trying to say is, there's always going to be something you could have done differently, but that will also never matter. What matters is what you can (and are going) to do today.

2) Don't focus so much on salary when you're starting out (there's plenty of time for that). As long as you're doing something you truly have a passion for, money will certainly come along with knowledge, experience, etc. The financial end often corrupts the innate love we have for what we do or diverts us into something we don't truly have a passion for (the precedent to unhappiness).

Good luck, it sounds like you're at the beginning of your journey and let me say that its a great place to be, have fun and much success.
"The reward of a thing well done is to have it done"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2012, 01:39:00 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I think electrical/mechanical maintenance is as far as I will go with education. I don't want to get into the math it takes to become an engineer. But hey ya never know down the line, maybe I'll gather the strength to do that. You can make good dough in the electrical/mechanical maintenance field, with PLC experience you can make more money. I also agree it has to be your passion, and its been for a very long time for me. Thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it.

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2012, 04:39:25 pm »
First off, I can't believe there's so many of us from NJ in this thread, lol - out of how many US members?...

Ok, there's some good advice in this thread (particularly those say that sticking with it pays in the long-run).

If I may express two things:

1) You mention that 'if' you could go back to your high-school self and... Well, it doesn't sound like you're that old at all actually (year or two out of HS?). What I'm trying to say is, there's always going to be something you could have done differently, but that will also never matter. What matters is what you can (and are going) to do today.

2) Don't focus so much on salary when you're starting out (there's plenty of time for that). As long as you're doing something you truly have a passion for, money will certainly come along with knowledge, experience, etc. The financial end often corrupts the innate love we have for what we do or diverts us into something we don't truly have a passion for (the precedent to unhappiness).

Good luck, it sounds like you're at the beginning of your journey and let me say that its a great place to be, have fun and much success.

Yeah. I think there's more of us on here too!

I agree with you. I go to high school in Northern NJ. I'm in classes with lots of smart kids. Kids with big aspirations. But one thing that they all have in their minds is "Money money money". "I want the job that will pay the most". Money is not a bad thing to have, don't get me wrong, but I've learned something from adults and people that actually have experience, and that's to do what you actually enjoy. You've heard it a lot, but it's true. If you enjoy something, you'll be passionate about your work, and you'll do a good job, and subsequently you'll get the money you deserve!

I play varsity tennis. We have 'managers' for our team that keep attendance and help out. They're all girls. I was talking to one of the senior girls about where she was going to college and what she wanted to do. She said she was planning on doing electrical engineering. Of course, I became excited and asked more. Then I asked her, "Did you like physics? Did you like simple circuits?"....and she said "No actually I really hated circuits. They were so boring"  ??? My heart broken, I asked "Are you sure you really want to do that then?" And to break my heart further she said, "Well my dad says it's a really high paying job, so that's why I'm going to do it"...I just left it at that. Moved on to another subject...

But yeah. Why do people do this? If you know you don't like something, that's not to say that you can't grow to like it, but why choose it in the first place? Money? That's it? You'd rather be miserable in the activity that will consume the majority of your life than to be happy in your job? What sense does that make?

I understand that it's hard to know what you're going to do with the rest of your life when you're 17 or 18 years old, but sheesh, if you will go as far as to say that you hate circuits, why on earth would you want to major in EE?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2012, 06:09:53 pm »
That's weird I love circuits, these lessons actually fascinate me. I can't wait to move on to the next book to learn a new subject, Its like a new adventure with a each book, lesson. Hmm I guess some people were not cut out for this stuff, and I guess I just was. starting a little later, but making up good time, and enjoying it.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2012, 06:27:13 pm »
I was talking to one of the senior girls about where she was going to college and what she wanted to do. She said she was planning on doing electrical engineering. Of course, I became excited and asked more. Then I asked her, "Did you like physics? Did you like simple circuits?"....and she said "No actually I really hated circuits. They were so boring"   My heart broken, I asked "Are you sure you really want to do that then?" And to break my heart further she said, "Well my dad says it's a really high paying job, so that's why I'm going to do it"...I just left it at that. Moved on to another subject...

She probably won't make it, sadly. An EE degree is a lot of work and it's hard to put in the study hours if you don't enjoy what you are doing. Supposing she does graduate, she will then have a hard time in the workplace. Engineers are very good at telling the difference between people who are invested in what they are doing and people who are just along for the ride.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2012, 08:55:22 pm »
I agree, you really need a passion for this. Engineering is out of the question for me, but Electrical and mechanical system maintenance is not. A good place for me I think.

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2012, 09:14:48 pm »
Yeah you'll do great I'd say. If you truly are passionate about something, you'll be successful. ie. You won't let yourself fail.

Ian, it's unfortunate. I don't know if she changed her mind, but if not, hopefully she'll learn to love it. Doesn't always happen, but sometimes doing resistors in series and parallel doesn't always excite the senses in a high school physics lab, so perhaps some more interesting applications might help.

Offline StubbornGreek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2012, 02:51:40 am »
I was talking to one of the senior girls about where she was going to college and what she wanted to do. She said she was planning on doing electrical engineering. Of course, I became excited and asked more. Then I asked her, "Did you like physics? Did you like simple circuits?"....and she said "No actually I really hated circuits. They were so boring"   My heart broken, I asked "Are you sure you really want to do that then?" And to break my heart further she said, "Well my dad says it's a really high paying job, so that's why I'm going to do it"...I just left it at that. Moved on to another subject...

She probably won't make it, sadly. An EE degree is a lot of work and it's hard to put in the study hours if you don't enjoy what you are doing. Supposing she does graduate, she will then have a hard time in the workplace. Engineers are very good at telling the difference between people who are invested in what they are doing and people who are just along for the ride.

@FenderBender: You're looking at things from a good perspective. It doesn't matter if you're going to be doing the same thing ten years from now as you do today as long as you love doing (whatever it is).

@IanB: Pretty much right although if she squeaks by, there's (unfortunately) always room for loafers at larger companies.
"The reward of a thing well done is to have it done"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf