Author Topic: New solder station?  (Read 9440 times)

Offline SitedrifterTopic starter

New solder station?
« on: May 14, 2017, 02:10:30 pm »
Hi All,

I am new to the forum but have been lurking on EEVblog for a long time. I am a hobbyist and decided to upgrade my pencil iron to a small affordable station. The forum is chock full of brands I never heard of or ones I have that seem to be Chinese copies of Weller, Hakko and others. I have been researching all the typical but economical brands (Aoyue, X-Tronic, Xytronic, and others) and found this
https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-digital-soldering-station  I can purchase it brand new for around 50 bucks and was wondering if anyone has this unit and if so, how is it? It kind of looks like the newer ATTEN but this unit is made in Taiwan, not China so I am wondering if it is worth a shot? I know Hakko is a choice brand but for 50 bucks less I am not sure it is worth it for a part time hobbyist like me.

Thanks for any info.

Site

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
Re: New solder station?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 02:22:11 pm »
i would avoid that, it has a solomon type iron.

and what's with the foto of a reel of plumbing solder and a reel of enamelled copper "transformer" wire in the stand???  :-// :palm:

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 02:36:27 pm »
i would avoid that, it has a solomon type iron.

and what's with the foto of a reel of plumbing solder and a reel of enamelled copper "transformer" wire in the stand???  :-// :palm:

Yeah funny on the solder and wire. But can you give me the scoop on Solomon irons?

Thanks

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 04:40:54 pm »
solomon type irons - now usually from zhong-di (zd part numbers) are o.k.
buy only o.k. - not great.

you should aim for an iron that uses chinese rippoff's of the Hakko T12 tips.

the cheapest is the Bakon BK950D,
circuit solutions and BK solderwerks do more expensive ones.

or build your own.
http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7218

this guy sells blank pcb's for the above, and even fully build units!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222478565688
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 04:42:25 pm by stj »

The following users thanked this post: Sitedrifter

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 02:16:22 am »
I've used cheap soldering stations for many years.

In many cases, the iron will eventually break, because the plastic is not able to stand up to the heat. On the hakko clones, this means the plastic fails where the retaining ring screws on. As long as you can buy spare parts and don't mind to wait or store these parts, that is all fine.

Then there's the stand. The stand is integral to the function of the iron, IMO. The hakko 888D stand is excellent.

I'm an advocate of using cheap tools. I will make my own, if/when I can. (I have made my own temp controlled station.) I cringe when people talk about "high quality materials." But in the case of Hakko, it's true. Plastic != plastic. Hakko 888d is a really good deal if you live in the US, despite the stupid interface.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 03:35:22 am »

In many cases, the iron will eventually break, because the plastic is not able to stand up to the heat. On the hakko clones, this means the plastic fails where the retaining ring screws on. As long as you can buy spare parts and don't mind to wait or store these parts, that is all fine.

Then there's the stand. The stand is integral to the function of the iron, IMO. The hakko 888D stand is excellent.

I'm an advocate of using cheap tools. I will make my own, if/when I can. (I have made my own temp controlled station.) I cringe when people talk about "high quality materials." But in the case of Hakko, it's true. Plastic != plastic. Hakko 888d is a really good deal if you live in the US, despite the stupid interface.

I rather use a cheap yihua analog clone than deal with that annoying 888d interface... I returned it the same day I received it.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 03:58:19 am »
For f* sake it is an $80 piece of shit and with extra $20 you can get a Weller or Hakko.
Metallic-look painted buttons = low quality and wear off over time.
Copper wire and plumbing solder = the seller doesn't know what he is selling.

but the OP said he can get it for $50...
LOL
it's crap, only cheaper... LOL

The following users thanked this post: Sitedrifter

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 04:02:01 am »

I rather use a cheap yihua analog clone than deal with that annoying 888d interface... I returned it the same day I received it.
I have to agree, that interface is brain dead. Luckily my 888D is my backup/secondary iron so I don't have to adjust the temp on it ever.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 04:09:27 am »
I wouldn't buy another Weller, the recent tips on my WES51 seem to not last as long.
Also there are way more choices with Hakko and clone tips.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 04:55:59 am »
I have to agree, that interface is brain dead. Luckily my 888D is my backup/secondary iron so I don't have to adjust the temp on it ever.

I don't feel temperature adjustment necessary at all. I use a Metcal (actually 2, both MFR series with various soldering tips and 2 sets of tweezers tips), and there is no way to adjust temperature except for changing cartridges, and even though, only 3 set points are available for purchase.
Yeah I use Metcal mx-500.. and love it. That's my main iron. I think the nature of RF heating is a different ballgame when it comes to thermal mass, hence no need to adjust the temps.. it's magic! Highly recommend.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 05:03:29 am »

I don't feel temperature adjustment necessary at all. I use a Metcal (actually 2, both MFR series with various soldering tips and 2 sets of tweezers tips), and there is no way to adjust temperature except for changing cartridges, and even though, only 3 set points are available for purchase.
Yeah I use Metcal mx-500.. and love it. That's my main iron. I think the nature of RF heating is a different ballgame when it comes to thermal mass, hence no need to adjust the temps.. it's magic! Highly recommend.

For that price it better make me coffee too!  LOL

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 05:08:47 am »

Yeah it is pricey but worth every penny if you do a lot of hand soldering, which I do. Mine didn't cost me too much.. I think total was around $350-$400. I bought the base station (the most expensive part) used. The hand piece and the stand was brand new. I find the tips last a long time, and I just sourced some off ebay for relatively cheap as well.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 05:15:32 am »

Yeah it is pricey but worth every penny if you do a lot of hand soldering, which I do. Mine didn't cost me too much.. I think total was around $350-$400. I bought the base station (the most expensive part) used. The hand piece and the stand was brand new. I find the tips last a long time, and I just sourced some off ebay for relatively cheap as well.

I agree, if it's something you use regularly and it saves you time and frustration, it's definitely worth it to spend the money. I'm just a hobbyists get by with my weller and a 936 clone.
I have thousands in snap-on tools, so I understand if one uses tools regularly it's better to buy once, than several cheap quality ones... carry on...

The following users thanked this post: Muxr

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 07:17:47 pm »

I altered mine a couple days after i received it. I programmed it for 5 presets and rigged a pcb and firmware to jump between between the 5 presets with 1 button for each. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/hakko-888d-interface-fixed/msg875006/#msg875006

In practice, i mainly use 2 presets, though. You can program the 888d for 2-5 presets, so u dont have to cycle through more presets than u need.

I have to admit, if i hadnt started out and still use an analog 888 (and have dozen or so genuine hakko tips for it), i might not have bothered to figure out the D. I was hugely annoyed on the day i received it, too. But my xtronic hakko clone is the one that ended up in the trash. My 888s are gold. I bought the second 888D for travel. I've done more soldering with the 888 than my previous 4 cheap irons, combined. All of which (aside from my first Rado Shack, which I eventually retired) physically broke at some point, albeit replacement parts are/were cheap (pending availability). Perhaps the bigger factor is the ergos and stand.

Years of use have showed that this iron and stand are perfect and "made from high quality materials." *cringe*  The interface is definitely not for everyone. Let's say it is the steal of the century IF you get on with the interface and IF you live in the US where it's dirty cheap. Physically, it is a work of art. Interface, meh. Fortunately, I have some final say over that part.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 08:06:15 pm by KL27x »

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 08:30:10 pm »
Thanks for the info and critiques!

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 09:24:10 pm »
Wecome. Sorry, if I sound insanely brand loyal. I'm not. I'm a total whore for Harbor Freight and Chinese knockoffs in general. For occasional use, any hakko clone will probably have a 50/50 chance of making it 4 years without needing to look up and order replacement heater/iron.

Hakko 888D is the rare actual difference in "quality materials/construction," even to the extent that the plastic doesn't discolor or scratch or get grubby/grimy... looks like new 7 years later. And the 888D is oddly inexpensive in US market.

I wouldn't want to dissuade someone out of the supreme satisfaction and feeling of thriftiness of splinting and epoxying an iron back together. It's pretty cool... the first time. And there's definitely a market here for short lifespan, disposable soldering stations. First iron, go ahead and try a cheap station.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:32:03 pm by KL27x »

Offline mfratus2001

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 02:06:41 am »
I have been using the Xytronic brand (Taiwan) irons for quite a few years from Howard Electronic Instruments and I have been more than satisfied with them. The tips last a year or two, it keeps the temperature set, and I use two of them every day. I have used nearly everybody else's irons that are around $200 or less, and Wellers were the most disappointing, always needing tips or temperature switches. All I have to do is buy tips, now. One iron did get cranky and I think maybe the cord was bad, but I replaced it with a more-powerful (85W) version, which I needed anyway.

Offline JBussell

• Silver Dog Tech
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 03:13:48 am »
solomon type irons - now usually from zhong-di (zd part numbers) are o.k.
buy only o.k. - not great.

you should aim for an iron that uses chinese rippoff's of the Hakko T12 tips.

the cheapest is the Bakon BK950D,
circuit solutions and BK solderwerks do more expensive ones.

or build your own.
http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7218

this guy sells blank pcb's for the above, and even fully build units!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222478565688

But if he builds his own, wouldnt that mean he'd neeed a soldering iron to build a soldering iron  :D
_________
JBuss

Offline CaptainNomihodai

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 09:01:14 pm »
Hakko 888D is the rare actual difference in "quality materials/construction," even to the extent that the plastic doesn't discolor or scratch or get grubby/grimy... looks like new 7 years later. And the 888D is oddly inexpensive in US market.

Sounds about right. I'm looking for an upgrade from my 888D because I want something with desoldering, but I'll probably still keep it around and use it. Even the tips last forever. I'm pretty sure the tip I use most often is the tip that came with it in the box 5+ years ago.
And I really don't understand why people complain about the interface so much. It's counter-intuitive, but hardly opaque. Once you RTFM it's not at all difficult.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 09:28:03 pm »
the 888D is a POS. they couldn't put a third button on there for "enter?"
Better yet, why not leave the analog version?
fail.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 10:05:33 pm »
I have thousands in snap-on tools, so I understand if one uses tools regularly it's better to buy once, than several cheap quality ones... carry on...
Is this actually the case with snap-on tools?
Some brands make me laugh on the inside. Festool and Snap-on are top of the list.

I understand a lot of the appeal for Snap on is based on the service. The fact the rep comes to your garage on a weekly or even daily basis to shoot the shit and to replace broken tools. And to sell you new ones. A lot of the cost of these tools is wrapped up into these guys' salaries. Once you retire, the sales rep doesn't drop by your house with his fully stocked store on wheels, does he? :)

If you think China can't pump out good quality chrome-plated chrome-vanadium steel for a few pennies to a snapon dollar, you been listening too much to your snapon rep. The reason it's so cheap is because after you buy it you can fug off. That's fine for anyone not working in a professional garage, because that's what we were planning to do, anyway.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:44:16 pm by KL27x »

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 10:06:45 pm »
they could have made the digital version with a rotary encoder and a few preset buttons.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 10:16:07 pm »
Is this actually the case with snap-on tools?
Some brands make me laugh on the inside. Festool and Snap-on are top of the list. For knives, the list is too big to even start. Let's just say all of them.

I understand a lot of the appeal for Snap on is based on the service. The fact the rep comes to your garage on a weekly or even daily basis to shoot the shit and to replace broken tools. And to sell you new ones. A lot of the cost of these tools is wrapped up into these guys' salaries. Once you retire, the sales rep doesn't drop by your house, does he? :)

I have lots of Festool... beautiful, well engineered, and quality, just like all things German. But then I love my Knipex, Hazet, Wiha, Wera. and Stahlwille tools also. Can't go wrong with German engineering. I have tools that still say made in West Germany. :)

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 12:15:24 am »
I have a brand new Hakko FX888D on it's way to my home  :-+

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 01:55:31 am »
I have lots of Festool... beautiful, well engineered, and quality, just like all things German. But then I love my Knipex, Hazet, Wiha, Wera. and Stahlwille tools also. Can't go wrong with German engineering. I have tools that still say made in West Germany. :)

That's just bragging, now, really. Congrats, though. I bet you do beautiful work in your luxury yacht workshop.

Don't mind me. I'm just jealous. Really jealous. :)

I have a brand new Hakko FX888D on it's way to my home  :-+
Don't forget to read the manual. And if the temp adjust and/or presets make you want to throw it in a river, you can hit me up for gerber and firmware for my hakko mod. Hmm... I think I shall call it my Hakko 888D+ mod. Better than an F. :)

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 11:38:12 pm »
Wow what an iron  :-+

Offline leham

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 11:40:28 pm »
The Hakko FX-888D is a great station, just be sure to get a genuine one!

Also they are sexy looking and there is a Special Edition Silver one!

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 12:50:57 am »

I actually think it looks like a Fisher-Price toy, and don't want it sitting on my bench next to my equipment...   LOL

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2017, 06:16:26 am »
they could have made the digital version with a rotary encoder and a few preset buttons.
I'm actually rather glad they didn't use an encoder. At this point, most of the stuff I own with an encoder has gone batshit, eventually. The latest victim is my Korad PSU, which was rock solid for the first year or 2. Well, it's starting to act up, I guess. It's still good enough for now.

Preset buttons would have been nice. I think everyone will agree to that. (And don't forget the "down" button?)

I actually think it looks like a Fisher-Price toy
It shows up for work and does what it's supposed to. It would be a bargain in pink! :)

... hmmm pink and grey... that wouldn't be too bad.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 06:24:31 am by KL27x »

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 04:16:44 pm »
I actually think it looks like a Fisher-Price toy
It shows up for work and does what it's supposed to. It would be a bargain in pink! :)

... hmmm pink and grey... that wouldn't be too bad.

I'll admit to something and I wonder if anybody else feels the same.  I avoid/dislike Weller pale blue irons.  The color/quality of the plastic reminds me of surgical equipment somehow.  They seem used/dirty and give me "the willies."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:06:11 pm by bsudbrink »

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2017, 05:18:40 pm »
i also dont like the "weller blue" but because it looks like it was made in the 1960's!!

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2017, 08:19:18 pm »
yeah,  the weller light blue looks nasty

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2017, 06:36:56 pm »

I actually think it looks like a Fisher-Price toy, and don't want it sitting on my bench next to my equipment...   LOL

I have a Hakko FX-951.  Yes, it looks like a Fisher-Price toy, especially next to my Metcal, but as long as the hot pointy end does what it's supposed to (and it does it very well), I could care what it looks like.  I am a function over form kind of guy.  However, pink is out except for a '59 Cadillac convertible  :-+ :-+
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2017, 12:17:19 am »
^Haha. I'm gonna buy another 888 and some spray paint. Maybe I can find some Weller Blue to go with the pink.  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf