Author Topic: New Tenma 72-10495 Benchtop Supply - odd noise when turning on  (Read 1514 times)

Offline banedonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi guys

This may seem like a really silly question, but should you expect an odd twang noise from inside the case when the unit is turned on. It sort of sounds like someone vibrating a ruler off the side of a desk. Or possibly like an old CRT monitor degausing. Doesn't always happen, though.
As you can tell, I've never owned a proper benchtop power supply.

Offline banedonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Tenma 72-10495 Benchtop Supply - odd noise when turning on
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 03:41:25 pm »
Is it possibly dumping power from the PSU capacitors?  Seems to happen on the second or htird time you power the unit up if within a few seconds of being turned off.
So :
Turn it on - ok
Turn it off
Turn it on with a few second - odd noise
Turn it off
Turn it on with a few second - odd noise, but possibly more pronounced

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 06:34:02 pm »
I have a couple of Astron 35A linear power supplies for ham radio equipment.  Both of them make a "twang" when turned on, whether or not there is a load attached.  Both work just fine.  I might check one on the DSO just to see what happens when the supply turns on.  Unfortunately, I have work related things to do before I can clear the workbench.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 09:22:08 pm »
It may have a PTC in series with the transformer primary to reduce the inrush current.  Switching it off and then back on again quickly will defeat the protection the PTC gives as it won't have had time to cool down sufficiently.  Inrush currents can be very high, and the strong magnetic fields produced can be enough to make the transformer noisy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf