Author Topic: New to PSoC 1  (Read 2682 times)

Offline alex2005Topic starter

New to PSoC 1
« on: June 07, 2013, 08:29:12 pm »
So a friend of mine bought me the PSoC 1 Kit, but alas I have no idea about electronics :/
I'm studying computer science, but this is very different and I have no idea what to do with it.

Any tutorials or some help would be appreciated.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
Re: New to PSoC 1
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 11:03:20 pm »
Which PSoC1 kit did you get?  Do you have any idea what sort of project you would like to make?  There is a lot you can do with the PSoC... do you want to just try something like blink an LED?

One thing I would say is that if you get more involved in the PSoC, start to look at the PSoC3, 4 and 5.  The PSoC1 was a bit of a pieced together bodge and while it works well, it has some quirks that do not exist in the later PSoC's.  For example, it has only one GPIO interrupt so you must check which pin caused the interrupt and whether it was rising or falling.  Also, you must get special debug versions of the chip and an "ICE Cube" for debugging - whereas with the later ones have direct debugging right in the chip. 

There are lots of example projects online and at Cypress.com too.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline alex2005Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 11:46:02 pm »
The kit says CY3210-PSoC Eval1

Don't know what I want to make, because I dont know what I can make with it.

The most basic project I guess :D
Is there a tutorial that explains what all the things on it are and what they do?

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 01:01:43 am »
The kit says CY3210-PSoC Eval1

Don't know what I want to make, because I dont know what I can make with it.

The most basic project I guess :D
Is there a tutorial that explains what all the things on it are and what they do?

That is a nice kit, I have the same one - you can do a lot with it!

For the most basic project, just blink an LED.  Open up PSoC Designer, name your project and choose the chip that is on your board (CY8C29466-24PXI).  Then go into the "Chip" view where you see the analog and digital blocks, on the right side under "Misc Digital" choose the LED component. Click on the component after it's added (it will appear in the top right window), then on the left side you see the properties.  Change it's name from LED_1 to LED.  Right click on the component in the upper right window and view the datasheet - there is some sample code in there.

One tip, there is a delay function in the LCD library - you need to add the LCD component to your project to use it (same place as the LED component was).  The delay function is  LCD_Delay50uTimes(); (the number you put in parentheses is how many 50us delays to enact).   You can put that delay function before the "LED_Invert()" command so you can see it turning on and off - otherwise it will be too fast.

Don't forget to put a jumper wire from the port and pin you selected in your LED component to the actual LED itself!  And don't forget to double click the pin name up top in the Chip window and configure it (you want to use strong drive).

There are some great example projects on the CD, like using the Analog->Digital converter to read a voltage from the trip potentiometer and displaying it on the LCD panel.

The build-in blocks/functions and API's make it really easy to use.  Have fun!
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf