Author Topic: New video: Visualizing RF Standing Waves on mis-terminated transmission lines  (Read 2169 times)

Offline w2aewTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
This video shows how standing waves are created on transmission lines from the addition of the forward (transmitted) wave and the reflected wave resulting from unmatched termination impedance.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
Another good video , thanks again .
I wandered a while back that if measuring directly on feedline , that I should measure in multiple places , not just one spot .

Offline w2aewTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
Another good video , thanks again .
I wandered a while back that if measuring directly on feedline , that I should measure in multiple places , not just one spot .

It all depends on the length of the line with respect to the wavelength of the signal being transmitted.

This also explains why - if you're having trouble adjusting your transmatch/tuner on a given band, that it can often help to add/remove some line between the tuner and antenna - because the impedance looking into a mismatched line will vary with line length (at a given operating frequency).  Adding or removing a bit of line can move the impedance off of a difficult-to-tune impedance extreme (node or anti-node).
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
That little experiment brings back memories. :)

Long time ago I literally measured the wavelength of an abused 2K25 X-band klystron by noting the distance between troughs in the standing wave reflected from a flat metallic surface, sitting perpendicular to the incident radiation. The metallic surface was a piece of polished PCB, and the slide it was riding on incorporated a micrometer. This was done because the 2K25 normally won't tune up into the 10GHz amateur band, but ... with a bit of help from a persuasion device...  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf