Author Topic: Newbie about to drop the gun for an Agilent DSOX2004A  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Josh0027Topic starter

Newbie about to drop the gun for an Agilent DSOX2004A
« on: August 15, 2014, 05:17:11 am »
Greetings! I have been lurking around this forum for more than a month now. I have been researching for a nice oscilloscope as a long time investment and my decision is towards the DSOX2004A.

I am a software/firmware engineer and I have started to take interest in micro controller applications, particularly interfacing with sensors. Aside from debugging tools, I feel that I would be needing an oscilloscope to poke around signals.

My initial requirement was to have a 70MHz minimum low cost two channel oscilloscope but as my research went by, I started to see the need for a unit that can grow as my skills grow. So I made a decision to get a 70-100MHz scope with four channels and is upgradable (thanks to this forum  :) ).

My selection started with the Rigol DS1052E, Siglent SDS1072CML, Rigol DS1074Z and the Rigol DS2072A. The DS1074Z is a good buy but the sample speed of 250MS/s when all channels are used is not spectacular. The next was the DS2072A which has excellent features but only has two channels. It was still those two that I was selecting until I got a good deal for the DSOX2004A. It is still more expensive than the DS2072A and I am aware of it's limitations being three years old already. My reasons aside from it being an Agilent:

1) I got a nice deal from my supplier, similar to the educational discount years ago.
2) It has five years warranty, compared to the Rigol which has three years.
3) The unit has upgrade options. I am aware that the Rigol has similar upgrades, has better specifications, and has the existence of the firmware hack but I feel uncomfortable in doing the hack that may lead me to void the warranty.
4) It will be my first scope. I feel that Agilent is a respectable brand and investing in it makes some sense.

I've gone through most of the threads here about the pros and cons of the DSOX2004A. I just need some more of your thoughts what to expect with this scope.

Many thanks!
Josh

Offline andrewwong2000

• Contributor
Re: Newbie about to drop the gun for an Agilent DSOX2004A
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 05:41:01 am »
With the Agilent, the ASIC and software is what you pay (so much more) for.. and it's fast, and much better laid out.

Also, if you need software options, there's the bundle offer until 30th September.

Offline Josh0027Topic starter

Re: Newbie about to drop the gun for an Agilent DSOX2004A
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 11:34:01 am »
Thank you Andrew. I dropped the gun and ordered it. Hopefully it will arrive as soon as humanly possible.

Moderators, can you move this to the Test Equipment forum? I think that is the correct forum where I should have posted.  |O

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf