Author Topic: Newbie Help with Probe Calibration on BK Precision 2160  (Read 5624 times)

Offline denimdragonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • "Hole charge chaser and wanna-be o-scope fixer"
Newbie Help with Probe Calibration on BK Precision 2160
« on: May 05, 2017, 04:49:52 am »
First off, I want to say hello to everyone here. I've been lurking around here for a while and I have learned quite a bit. I'm hoping that someone can help me with my o-scope woahs  :-//

I recently purchased a BK Precision 2160 (Not 2160A) for $50 bucks locally and for the last 3 days, I have been trying to make sure that everything is ok with it. I finally managed to figure out how to see a waveform from my BK 4011 Function Generator (also purchased from the same person). I was like a kid lol. Anyways, I am now trying to calibrate the probe (it came with a Tek P2220) with the CAL thingy, but I'm not getting anything except the straight trace across the CRT. From my limited understanding, I am suppose to connect the probe (without the ground lead attached) and it should produce a square waveform.  I have the manuals but they don't say much except to connect it to the .2V P-P tab. I set the Volts/Div @ .2 and the Time/Div @ .2 mS and did some careful knob turning. I'm pretty green at all this so if I'm doing something really wrong, feel free to send me a virtual pimp slap  :palm:

I have watched a few videos on this and read up on it, but I think I am missing something. It would be awesome if someone could lend a hand. I'm a first year EE student so I need to master this. It's challenging enough to start another career at 43 without the added inability to work with the tools of the trade.

I'm posting some pictures of what the scope is currently set @ and pictures of the CRT. I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance guys.
"Hi there. I'm short in the hair department, do you mind if I pull a few strands from your head? Thanks!"

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Newbie Help with Probe Calibration on BK Precision 2160
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 05:16:41 am »
Welcome to the forum.

Trigger and channel coupling to DC.
IF it's a 10:1 probe the input attenuator (V/div) need be set to 10x or more, more sensitive, say 10mV/div.
When you have a waveform, that may or may not scroll across the display you can stop it by adjusting the Trigger level pot when you should be able to see the point of amplitude (level) on the left side of the display from where the waveform originates. That's where the electron beam starts its sweep.

All going well the waveform should be ~2 divisions high.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 05:18:20 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 10:05:52 pm »
Hi tautech, Thanks for the information. I tried it and it still didn't work. So know I'm thinking that the probe is bad, but I read another one of your replies to another thread that said if the input capacitance of the scope doesn't match the compensation range of the probe, it won't work properly. I think this might be my issue. I'm posting some pics of the specs on the probes and the scope. Please let me know if my notion is correct or I'm barking up the wrong tree. Thanks again for your help  :-+
"Hi there. I'm short in the hair department, do you mind if I pull a few strands from your head? Thanks!"

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 10:19:11 pm »
Hi tautech, Thanks for the information. I tried it and it still didn't work. So know I'm thinking that the probe is bad, but I read another one of your replies to another thread that said if the input capacitance of the scope doesn't match the compensation range of the probe, it won't work properly. I think this might be my issue. I'm posting some pics of the specs on the probes and the scope. Please let me know if my notion is correct or I'm barking up the wrong tree. Thanks again for your help  :-+
No, a probe with an insufficient compensation range will have no problem providing a signal to the scope and on the display, it's just you won't be able to properly adjust it for a perfectly square waveform.

Just try a piece of wire for now and that will confirm if the probe is crook or not.
You don't need anything flash for hobbyist probes, have a search on eBay or other online sellers for ones labeled/marked as P6100. You should be able to find them for $15/pair.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 10:29:30 pm »
How did you connect to see the output from the function generator? Use the same.

Check the calibrate output. Maybe it doesn't work. Any multimeter should be able to read something there.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 11:17:52 pm »
Hi rdl. That's exactly what happened. The CAL where the probe attaches to is wonky and wobbly (I'm assuming that it shouldn't be as loose as it is). I finally have a waveform but I had to wiggle it until I found a consistency. I did check it with my DMM but I had a brain fart somewhere.

tautech, rdl, thanks so much for your help. I now can finish checking out the rest of the scope. I really want to master this because I have a few projects to work on (See pictures) to get my feet wet, plus I'll be needing it for school until I get my Rigol. You guys are "The Bees Knees"!  Thanks again.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 11:48:04 pm »
Hi rdl. That's exactly what happened. The CAL where the probe attaches to is wonky and wobbly (I'm assuming that it shouldn't be as loose as it is). I finally have a waveform but I had to wiggle it until I found a consistency. I did check it with my DMM but I had a brain fart somewhere.

tautech, rdl, thanks so much for your help. I now can finish checking out the rest of the scope. I really want to master this because I have a few projects to work on (See pictures) to get my feet wet, plus I'll be needing it for school until I get my Rigol. You guys are "The Bees Knees"!  Thanks again.
:)
Another thing to fix.
You can see from the image it appears to be a 10:1 probe but it still needs some compensation adjustment to square up the display, then you're good to go.
Now you know what it should look like think of the probe Cal output as your first sanity check when you don't understand what's going on.
Now the Cal output is a nominal 200mV p-p (this scope) @ 1KHz, notice the word nominal, they are very rarely exact but they serve the probe Cal purpose well.

Take some time to get your head around probe divisions of which there are numerous, 1:1, 10:1 and 100:1 are the most common. As the division increases normally so does the voltage rating of the probe, but reciprocal to the very important applied capacitance of the probe when applied to a DUT. Simply, all measurements in some way affect the actual measurement value in a DUT.
For this reason use 10:1 probes for all your work unless you need the increased sensitivity a 1:1 probe provides but at the cost of increased capacitive loading on the DUT and lower voltage rating.
When you get other probes, also study their graphs that show how voltage ratings diminish with frequency.
Don't push probe and ch input ratings, err well on the side of caution for your own safety and that of your instrument.
Have fun now you have new eyes to see what's happening.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 12:22:10 am »
I will definitely be studying up on probes more. A craftsman can only be as good as his tools AND his ability to use those tools correctly. In my former career I was a CNC programmer/machinist, so I'm very picky about tolerances and metrology. I know the scopes main focus is for waveform study, but I want to know all the inconsistencies that arises in every step of the measuring process. The more components you add to a system the more room for deviations. Learning these things will help me when troubleshooting so I won't go down the rabbit hole looking for something that should be accredited to known deviations in my measuring equipment. I'm devoting the rest of my weekend to learning about this, and having a beer or 3  :D

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 12:41:52 am »
I will definitely be studying up on probes more. A craftsman can only be as good as his tools AND his ability to use those tools correctly. In my former career I was a CNC programmer/machinist, so I'm very picky about tolerances and metrology. I know the scopes main focus is for waveform study, but I want to know all the inconsistencies that arises in every step of the measuring process. The more components you add to a system the more room for deviations. Learning these things will help me when troubleshooting so I won't go down the rabbit hole looking for something that should be accredited to known deviations in my measuring equipment. I'm devoting the rest of my weekend to learning about this, and having a beer or 3  :D

Here's an old video of mine, all about probes. Discusses compensation too.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 01:19:05 am »
That's the video I'm currently watching Alan lol. I'm subbed to your channel :-+

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 04:12:13 am »
I'm back with another question. Now that I have the CAL output situation solved, I thought all was well (and it could be. I'm sure my ignorance will come into play here), but now I'm getting these waveforms on the scope and the probe is just laying on my desk (wood). The settings are the same- V/Div 10mV, T/Div .1mS. I did adjust the probe to get a good straight square waveform at these settings and all was well. Maybe I invoked this when I adjusted the probe  :-//

Now I'm curious as to what this may be. Any pros want to help me out? I pay in beer  :-DD

Note: When I remove the probe trace is flat again. Thanks again everyone for the guidance.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:15:05 am by denimdragon »

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 05:03:40 am »
Oscilloscopes are also good radio receivers. The probes are the antenna. They can pick up all sorts of odd stuff.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 06:27:28 am »
I'm back with another question. Now that I have the CAL output situation solved, I thought all was well (and it could be. I'm sure my ignorance will come into play here), but now I'm getting these waveforms on the scope and the probe is just laying on my desk (wood). The settings are the same- V/Div 10mV, T/Div .1mS. I did adjust the probe to get a good straight square waveform at these settings and all was well. Maybe I invoked this when I adjusted the probe  :-//

Now I'm curious as to what this may be. Any pros want to help me out? I pay in beer  :-DD

Note: When I remove the probe trace is flat again. Thanks again everyone for the guidance.
;D
rdl nailed it.

They can pick up all manner of muck, 60 Hz mains, SMPS EMI and general RFI............all of which you can use to some advantage.
OK, let's say you have a walwart that you don't know if it's working or not or a similar part of a circuit with some high speed switching going on. Waft an unconnected probe past/close to it and watch the display. Remember this trick as a quick test for a power switching device's operation, sure it's only a yes or no but sometimes that's all you need.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 06:56:09 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 04:20:49 pm »
 I thought about the antenna effect as well, but I just wanted to be sure. So many little tricks of the trade early in the game. You guys are making me dangerous LOL. This is awesome news. Looks like my $50 was well spent.

I checked the component tester on the scope and it's working as well. My next step is to check that both of the function generators I purchased are good. I used the BK 4011 to get my first sine wave on the scope. Checking them seems like it would be easy enough. I'm pretty good at researching and digging. If not I'll be right back at the forum  :-DD

Thanks again guys!

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 12:42:26 pm »
I thought about the antenna effect as well, but I just wanted to be sure. So many little tricks of the trade early in the game. You guys are making me dangerous LOL. This is awesome news. Looks like my $50 was well spent.

I checked the component tester on the scope and it's working as well. My next step is to check that both of the function generators I purchased are good. I used the BK 4011 to get my first sine wave on the scope. Checking them seems like it would be easy enough. I'm pretty good at researching and digging. If not I'll be right back at the forum  :-DD

Thanks again guys!

When checking out your function generators, you may want to keep this in mind...

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

The following users thanked this post: denimdragon

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 12:55:57 pm »

Good attitude :)

For more info on probes, see the references in https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/scope-probe-reference-material/

BTW, how are  you measuring conductance (S, Siemens) on the scope? It is a lot easier to measure time (s, seconds)!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: denimdragon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 10:08:25 pm »

Good attitude :)

For more info on probes, see the references in https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/scope-probe-reference-material/

BTW, how are  you measuring conductance (S, Siemens) on the scope? It is a lot easier to measure time (s, seconds)!

Sorry for the late reply and thanks. It's all about attitude.

I haven't had a chance to play with my little 2160 every since these Tek scopes have come in. I played with it little over the weekend just for nostalgic purpose. The big scopes are getting all the attention lol. I am learning a little bit more everyday, but I haven't learned about Siemens yet. The next time (not to soon hopefully) I'll know a little more.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf