Author Topic: Newbie to Electrical Engineering  (Read 3908 times)

Offline AuggieTopic starter

• Contributor
Newbie to Electrical Engineering
« on: February 18, 2010, 11:23:52 pm »
What do you all recommend as a good multimeter that will help me in my Electrical Engineering major? I noticed in Daves reviews that there are multimeter s designed for different professions like some specifically for electricians and some for electronics. I was thinking of investing in a fluke 87. So any suggestions let me know.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Newbie to Electrical Engineering
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 12:32:14 am »
The question is how much do you want to spend?
You can get a decent meter that will do the job for say $50.
In another thread on here someone got the Amprobe 38XR for $65 or something, a bargain.

Dave.

Offline rossmoffett

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 03:58:26 am »
I have an 87 now and it's nice, but I got through my electronics classes with a very cheap multimeter that didn't measure microamps.  I used resistors to find my current, by taking the voltage across them.  Still not ideal, but you'll find accuracy is not as important as knowing what you're doing in a university lab.  I've been amazed at the grades I got for failed projects simply for thoroughly documenting what went wrong, why and what could be done to fix the situation.
ArcAttack - A group of musical Tesla coil performers with semi-regular blog updates.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 09:33:02 pm »
well I suppose it's one thing to get it right and another to get it wrong, figure out the problem and know how to get it right next time

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 07:30:48 pm »
If you get it right first time you will not learn anything. It is after fouling up and debugging you begin to understand. (says the guy who spent best part of a week trying to debug a circuit where he swapped the input and feedback resistors on an op-amp)
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 07:41:06 pm »
thats is true of designing and learning to design robust equipment (I myself learnt a few harsh lessins), but there are many TV repairers that don't know a lot about electronics and could not design a thing to save their lives but they do not have to know because it's more about knowing the brands and model series and the faults inherent to each one, like a good mechanic will know the failures inherent to a particular model of car but he will not know how to design a car

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf