Author Topic: nonsense behaviour of RIGOL DP832  (Read 6124 times)

Offline RoadRunnerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
nonsense behaviour of RIGOL DP832
« on: April 11, 2014, 06:41:10 pm »
i just bought my New Rigol DP832 from local authorized dealer but as i took it out of the box it totally fails on me:--

i have measured voltage with a multimeter , channel 1 is giving around 33V and 0.74 A regardless of channel is on or off ( no load is connected at all to any channel)

please take a look at the image of the power supply screen no load is connected.

i really don't understand whats going on :-//,

please help me.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:45:05 pm by Gaurav »

Offline Holograph

• Regular Contributor
Re: nonsense behaviour of RIGOL DP832
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 11:05:48 pm »
Take it back and have it swapped for a good unit.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:46:20 pm »
Doesn't it has a lock so that it wont change?

I kind of recall Dave's review to say that you could set it so someone touching the controls won't change the settings by accident.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 12:07:37 am »
Go under Utility and check if the "Power On" is set to "Last" an if the "Key Lock" is set to "On".

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 02:20:21 am »
So I read the manual and your keyboard is not locked page 1-16 in:
http://www.batronix.com/pdf/Rigol/UserGuide/DP800_UserGuide_EN.pdf

It should have displayed a lock symbol next the otp on the top (the status bar)

In any event, check the settings, hit the preset to see if it restores it.
hold the OK button to lock/unlock the keyboard, if it asks you a password the default is 2012 for what the manual says.

But since it doesn't show the lock symbol it might be that it's a faulty unit.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 05:45:55 am »
thank you for your help , i have tried all the things but no good.

did any one know what is the third mode UR (critical mode) of operation  of this supply ( like CV and CC) ? User manual say very little about this.

i have even tried contact the local authorized dealer here in India but then said we currently don't have enough technical capability to even understand this issue so you have to wait.

i even contacted rigol on the few email id which are given on there official web site i have waited last few days but they didn't replay.

did any one have some contact channel into rigol where i could get some help?

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 06:16:21 am »
Can you just take it back to the store and get a replacement? Sure they can't deny you that.

The whole "we currently don't have enough technical capability to even understand this issue so you have to wait" is not good enough.

Obviously if they don't have the technical capability they can always return it to Rigol as defective.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 06:20:15 am »
i have talked to them about replacing the whole unit with a new one but ,local shop said "we don't replace the whole unit"  which may indirectly means we will do a repair when we develop technical understanding of the system.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 06:24:30 am »
Maybe some persuasion like "well, I was going to convince my employer to get a bunch of them, but I guess I'll have to find another source" might do the trick.

Edit: Or better, contact Rigol and let them know about that dealer and that they sold you a broken power supply and they won't remedy the problem.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:36:48 am by miguelvp »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 06:54:41 am »
Edit: Or better, contact Rigol and let them know about that dealer and that they sold you a broken power supply and they won't remedy the problem.

i have sent few email to rigol but they haven't replay. i guess i have to find some other channel of communication where they listen.

Offline abhayb_e

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 08:29:57 am »
Hi Gaurav,
     I have also ordered rigol DP832 yesterday, not from local distributor but from Batronix(German distributor) . I paid 419.64 euros for item cost + shipping to India. On arrival to Indian airport customs will charge custom duty, which is around 25-30% depending on the item. custom duty for India can also be calculated at link https://www.icegate.gov.in/Webappl/ . So if suppose i have to pay 25% custom duty then total cost for me will be 419.64*(1.25) = 524.55 euros, when converted to INR gives 41,009.
Custom might ask for some documents also.
Only risk i have taken that if some how power supply fails then cost of shipping it back to Batronix & getting replacement delivered to India is too high, which may be i cannot affort.
I hope this input helps you. I will update here when dp832 is deliver to me.
Gaurav, I have one question, How much you paid to local distributor for DP832 ?

I never had any problem so i never raised consumer complaint with government of India but if you wish you can file a consumer complaint.
Department of Consumer Affairs http://consumeraffairs.nic.in/
You can log in complaints at www.nationalconsumerhelpline.in
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:46:54 am by abhayb_e »
Learning electronics

Offline abhayb_e

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 04:44:48 pm »
Hi,
    I have received my DP832 and customs did not ask for any documents, they just charged the custom duty of INR 8,382. Now i have one confusion because in the package i got European power cord(rating 16A, 250VAC). Plug is different as shown in picture attached.
In package there is a "Quick Guide" which states that "Only the  power chord designed for the instrument and authorized for use within the local country could be used". So i have to use power cord for India which Rigol supplies(for India) otherwise my warranty will be void  i think. I will try to find out this power chord.
If i am not able to find the Rigol power chord for India for DP832, i have few questions
1. Can i use the same power chord i received, European power chord(16A, 250V), with India power supply with some plug converter ?
2.Can I buy another power chord, Indian power chord, locally in India then use it ? According to this link http://www.oasiselectronics.in/indian-power-cord.html it is rated as 6A, 250V.

Anybody having Rigol power chord for DP832 for India please post the details here.

Regards
Abhay

Learning electronics

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 05:19:29 pm »
Just plug in a SA or India standard IEC lead ( you must have some from old computers and such) and keep the original for the warranty period if needed. At the end of that cut the Shucko plug off and wire up a regular 3 pin 16A plugtop on it and use it for anything else you want. Power cords are not considered part of the equipment if they plug into a regular IEC socket inlet on the rear, often equipment intended for world use will come with 3 power cords in the package, especially HP business printers. They typically have a UK plug lead, a EU plug lead and a SA plug lead, with some coming with an Australian standard plug and lead set as well.

Offline abhayb_e

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 03:46:58 pm »
Hi SeanB,
     Thanks for the information & it was helpful in understanding & solving the problem.
I bought a full chord with same current rating16A) & plug as got with the package, except that instead of "schuko" plug it has "type M" plug. I powered on DP832 & i did sanity test using multimeter, it worked fine. So all good ;D

Regards
Abhay
Learning electronics

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf