Author Topic: Noob looking to buy a power supply to get away from using 9-volt batteries  (Read 1871 times)

Offline chewmanfooTopic starter

I may be keeping Duracell in business for the past few months, but it's time for me to stop using 9-volts and move on to a power supply.

I don't know much about what to look for in a power supply - but I won't ask such a general question.  Just a specific one.

Why does the HP 6612C not have a ground post on the front?  Most power supplies have 3 posts - two red and one back.  But this one doesn't have the black.  Why?

TIA!

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor

Why does the HP 6612C not have a ground post on the front?  Most power supplies have 3 posts - two red and one back.  But this one doesn't have the black.  Why?

TIA!

In the User's Guide, there is a note that reads:
"NOTE: Front panel binding posts are provided for convenience. Only the rear panel terminals are optimized for noise, regulation, and transient response as documented in Appendix A."

There is a 5-pin connector in the back where the ground is accessible.

:)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 03:03:44 am by SkyMaster »

Offline chewmanfooTopic starter

wow - excellent - thanks!  I assume you own one?  Is it reliable?  Any timebomb capacitors I should be worried about?

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
wow - excellent - thanks!  I assume you own one?  Is it reliable?  Any timebomb capacitors I should be worried about?

No, I do not have this one, and have never used one either. But I have a HP E3617A, which is totally different.

I would not worry about problematic capacitors in a HP 6612C, as this is a fairly recent power supply, and HP uses high quality components.

:)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:04:05 pm by SkyMaster »

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
My speculation:
1. They recycled the front panel design from other instruments (e.g. function generators). If they wanted space for three binding posts, they would have had to redesign the front panel.
2. Because these are precision power supplies, substantially more expensive than standard bench supplies like the E3617A, I suspect a large fraction of users would use the connector on the back so they can use remote sensing. Compared to a more basic power supply that is more likely to be used without remote sensing.

Offline ngjohnson

• Contributor
As you keep working on electronics having a power supply that has current limiting and over voltage is a must! Check out this cheap power supply. I have used it for a large range of projects and for the price it's a solid PSU. 

Buy on AMAZON

PS: Does anyone know how to make the hyperlink work?

https://www.amazon.com/KORAD-KA3005P-Programmable-Precision-Adjustable/dp/B0085QLNFM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500531464&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=dc+lab+power+supply&psc=1

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf