Author Topic: Noob With Agilent MSO-X 2024A  (Read 2058 times)

Offline ItIsMeTopic starter

Noob With Agilent MSO-X 2024A
« on: February 13, 2015, 02:12:21 am »
Hi all! I'm a college student studying EE.

I don't have much experience, and was playing around with our Agilent MSO-X 2024A scopes in the lab.  I set a function generator to produce a 3kHz sinusoid with 5Vpp amplitude and 0V DC offset. But when I looked at the measurements on the scope, I was reading an amplitude of 7v.... These function generators are very precise, so I think the issue is with the scope. I think it is measuring amplitude as the difference between a peak and trough of the wave. How can I set the amplitude to be the distance from 0 to the peak? I heard this is a common "issue" with the scopes.

I've tried google-ing things such as "Agilent 2024a calibrate amplitude" and other variations, but have so far not found a solution.

Thanks!

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Noob With Agilent MSO-X 2024A
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 02:52:58 am »
Hi all! I'm a college student studying EE.

I don't have much experience, and was playing around with our Agilent MSO-X 2024A scopes in the lab.  I set a function generator to produce a 3kHz sinusoid with 5Vpp amplitude and 0V DC offset. But when I looked at the measurements on the scope, I was reading an amplitude of 7v.... These function generators are very precise, so I think the issue is with the scope. I think it is measuring amplitude as the difference between a peak and trough of the wave. How can I set the amplitude to be the distance from 0 to the peak? I heard this is a common "issue" with the scopes.

I've tried google-ing things such as "Agilent 2024a calibrate amplitude" and other variations, but have so far not found a solution.

Thanks!

Probably a couple of things going on. The function generator is probably expecting a 50 ohm termination impedance and you have the scope set to 1Mohm input impedance which results in double the amplitude (see video below). Also, it sounds like you've selected an "amplitude" measurement which may be giving you the RMS value instead of peak-to-peak.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline ItIsMeTopic starter

Re: Noob With Agilent MSO-X 2024A
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 03:41:11 am »

Awesome!!! Thanks, that looks like the issue. I'll try it out tomorrow when lab is open.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf