Author Topic: Delete Delete Delete  (Read 2368 times)

Offline The_Almighty_Bacon_LordTopic starter

• Contributor
  • !
Delete Delete Delete
« on: May 15, 2016, 04:14:27 pm »
Delete Delete Delete
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 07:01:56 pm by The_Almighty_Bacon_Lord »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: Noobie overwhelmed while looking at a MOS datasheet
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 04:32:45 pm »
I see, the AO8810 is the MOSFET used on the protection board. The maximum voltage for that MOSFET is V_DS, i.e. 20V. But that doesn't matter much because the protection board is just that, a protection board, not a charge controller. If you wan't to charge the battery properly you should use a charge controller. There are plenty of chips for that or cheap ready-to-use modules on ebay (search for "LiPo charger module").

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 04:44:09 pm »
The protection board disconnects the battery if your charger malfunctions and tries to charge to a voltage too high or if your load tries to discharge the battery to a voltage too low. It has sensors and a Mosfet switch. The switch is either ON so it does not get hot or it is OFF so it does not get hot. A charger is linear not a switch so it gets hot and needs cooling with a heatsink.
Since ebay sells cheap Chinese "stuff" and knows nothing about Chinese or electronics then you must guess what else the protection board does.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 09:43:16 pm »
Well, the replies kind of answer your question.  The board isn't a charger, it only protects the battery from over/under voltage and overcurrent at the voltages and current specified.  If you want to charge a battery, you need a battery charger.  It may already include the features of the protection board, or not.

If you need the charging specs for a battery, best research that bit first.  The protection board is only working like a resettable fuse.
Whether it is applicable to "your" battery is another question.  What are the specs for the battery?

Why don't you just buy a battery charger?

By itself, this device doesn't discharge the battery either.  At least I can't see where/why it would.

It serves only to protect the battery from damage.

Offline Monadnock

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 09:53:09 pm »
Looks like the IC is this one:

http://datasheet.sii-ic.com/en/battery_protection/S8261_E.pdf

Maximum recommended input voltage is 8V.

This part is designed to be fed by a LiPo charger. I wouldn't hook up a CV power supply to it.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 09:55:06 am »
If i'm charging a single cell, how many volts will I apply to the battery protection board to not damage it/the battery? Is 5V good, or is that too much? Should I apply a max of 4.3V? 4.2V? Does this board do discharging AND recharging of the battery, or only one of the two?

Please read http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries and watch

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf