Author Topic: Not dying in a house with no ground  (Read 5646 times)

Offline Popoe29Topic starter

Not dying in a house with no ground
« on: February 20, 2018, 08:25:46 am »
hey everyone

I just got a old oscilloscope off ebay the other day to learn the art of scoping. I have been watching a few videos on scopes to get frimlier with them when I came across dave's video how not to blow up your oscilloscope. and after reading a little bit it seems the earth referenced ground is pretty important to both measurements and safety. Only issue is my home has no grounding. Its a fuse box era apartment building with no ground in the outlets and no ground in the box. I cant cut into the wall to run any grounding. I read that a GFCI can be used as a alternative to grounding. What do you guys thank about this? would a GFCI keep me from frying my self or my gear and would a scope measure accurately if connected to a GFCI?

Aslo another question along those lines would a GFCI coupled with a surge protector offer any protection to electronics. I have often worried about my toys being plugged in a ungrounded surge protector during a storm

Thanks

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Not dying in a house with no ground
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 08:31:39 am »
hey everyone

I just got a old oscilloscope off ebay the other day to learn the art of scoping. I have been watching a few videos on scopes to get frimlier with them when I came across dave's video how not to blow up your oscilloscope. and after reading a little bit it seems the earth referenced ground is pretty important to both measurements and safety. Only issue is my home has no grounding. Its a fuse box era apartment building with no ground in the outlets and no ground in the box. I cant cut into the wall to run any grounding. I read that a GFCI can be used as a alternative to grounding. What do you guys thank about this? would a GFCI keep me from frying my self or my gear and would a scope measure accurately if connected to a GFCI?

Aslo another question along those lines would a GFCI coupled with a surge protector offer any protection to electronics. I have often worried about my toys being plugged in a ungrounded surge protector during a storm

Thanks
Isn't your landlord required to install any grounding? It seems rather dangerous to run certain kinds of equipment without any ground at all, like most appliances in the kitchen or bathroom.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 08:39:47 am »
I thought so too but the landlord isn't quick to fixing anything ive been waiting two months on a radiator that doesn't heat but the rents cheap and its close to work so its not to bad

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 08:54:08 am »
"Cheap, might die, 5/7 would rent again" ::)

Give or take if the landlord would be bankrupted by the expense, but a convenient anonymous report to the fire department might be appropriate here.

As for instruments, it works the same as "lifted ground".  On the one hand, you may not need an isolation transformer.  On the other, you have nowhere for fault currents to go in case you do miswire something.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 08:59:58 am »
I thought so too but the landlord isn't quick to fixing anything ive been waiting two months on a radiator that doesn't heat but the rents cheap and its close to work so its not to bad
I'm far from an expert on US law, but wouldn't the right to a habitable home include wiring that's remotely modern and up to code? Just the possibility of liability on his side if anything were to happen to you should be reason for him to act. I don't think Texas is known for its lenient penal system.

http://realestate.findlaw.com/landlord-tenant-law/landlords-duties-regarding-repairs-maintenance-and-to-provide.html

Offline Vic20

• Contributor
    • R6500
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 09:15:23 am »
I read that a GFCI can be used as a alternative to grounding. What do you guys thank about this? would a GFCI keep me from frying my self or my gear and would a scope measure accurately if connected to a GFCI?

The GFCI is not an alternative to grounding. In fact, having grounding and not GFCI is quite dangerous.
If you only have one of them, I think it is best to have GFCI.

The GFCI basically measures the current that enters the house on the live line and the current that returns in the neutral. If a difference of, for instance 20mA, is detected, it means that some current is returnig on a non intended way, like form your body to the floor, and it shuts down the power.
It don't always protect you if you touch the live and the neutral at the same time but gives some protection if you touch only the live wires.

The Ground wiring basically makes that any dangerous fault will generate a current that goes to the earth conductor tripping the GFCI.

If you have grounding and no GFCI, the current on a fault appliance can happily return at high levels on the earth cabling. Such things can easily generate a fire.
Moreover, if you ground yourself for ESD protection and touch a live wire, it can kill you if there is no GFCI.

If you don't have a GFCI I will recommend to install it ASAP as it can save your life.

I my house I have GFCI and no earth ground cabling.
It is quite nasty because some AC current can couple with external metal appliance surfaces and induce current on you below the 20mA GFCI tripping point, but much better that having no GFCI at all.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 09:34:48 am »
If you have grounding and no GFCI, the current on a fault appliance can happily return at high levels on the earth cabling. Such things can easily generate a fire.
Moreover, if you ground yourself for ESD protection and touch a live wire, it can kill you if there is no GFCI.

Do American's not put fuses into anything?

Every plug is fused in the UK, whether it has an Earth or not.  Further each circuit on the mains is fused at the fuse box.  In addition (some times instead of fuse) there are RCD trips.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline Vic20

• Contributor
    • R6500
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 09:43:02 am »

Fuses protect appliaces, not people.
A 1 amp fuese hardly protect a person that can be killed wit 100 mA.

Every plug is fused in the UK, whether it has an Earth or not.  Further each circuit on the mains is fused at the fuse box.  In addition (some times instead of fuse) there are RCD trips.

The fuses in the UK sockets prevent a high current to burn the wiring and start a fire. They also don't protect from direct electric hazards. Only indirect damage by fire.

If you want a minimum protection for you, you need something that trips at about 20mA. No fuse serves this purpose.

In the case of having ground and no GFCI, a stray 1 amp current on the isolation that goes to ground can generate a fire and not trip any fuse. It all depends on the appliance and the fault mode.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 10:08:49 am »
Its possibly unsafe for you and definitely unsafe for the devices you are working on to use a bench full of test equipment powered from an ungrounded outlet.   If you feed the bench through a GFCI, it significantly reduces the risk to you but does nothing to protect the devices you are working on against getting zapped by stray leakage currents that were supposed (by the design of the test equipment) to go to a proper grounding conductor connected to a true ground.

If you attempt to alleviate the problem by grounding your test bench to a water pipe, any line to ground fault in the equipment on your bench or the D.U.T. may make some or all of the plumbing live, possibly affecting other apartments in the building.  All it takes is a plumbing repair done with a length of plastic pipe, or a galvanically isolated anti-corrosion coupling upstream of your waterpipe 'ground' and the result is unsafe. DO NOT ADD GROUNDING EXCEPT IN COMPLIANCE WITH NEC 2014  !!!

The only option short of rewiring the apartment is to use an isolating transformer to feed your whole bench.   Its secondary side should have 'ground' bonded to Neutral, and Line and Neutral should be GFCI protected downstream of this bond.   You can then ground your bench to a waterpipe for ESD prevention and to reduce EMI without causing a hazard to other apartments, but you must *NEVER* use any other outlet to feed stuff on connected to your bench, bypassing the isolation transformer.   However a hazard exists if anything on your bench has a fault from Line to a true ground that is not bonded to your bench ground (e.g. possibly grounded data, telecom, satellite or CATV wiring), so don't have a wired phone on your bench, use WiFi for any bench computer, and use isolators that break the ground for any exterior antennae or CATV feed.

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 10:19:20 am »
Hi...I live in the Philippines and almost all homes here have no ground.  The power company simply gives you two wires, 220ish VAC, 60Hz.  I say 220ish...because it has varied from about 260 in the middle of the night to as low as 175 during the peak hours.  To combat the voltage variation I have a 10kW whole house AVR which is a servo controlled variac basically.  To deal with the lack of ground in my electronics workshop I have done two things.  First I drilled a hole in the concrete floor and drove a galvanized steel ground rod in as far as I could.  The ground of my AC outlets are connected to this in my workshop.  This stopped the "tingling" I'd get from various electronic metal enclosures.  2nd, the very first project for my workshop was a 1KW isolation transformer for all incoming power for my bench.   These two things thus far, plus just being careful, thinking twice before acting, and using decent test leads has worked to keep me safe.   
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:26:20 am by Insatman »
Retired Pulsed Power Engineer/Physicist...now I just dabble in electronics

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 10:25:13 am »
Insatman did just give me a ideal. right out side my window is the power pole that supply the buildings right here theres likely a ground rod at the base. What do yall thank of me just grounding the outlets in my shop to that rod?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 10:28:47 am »
Insatman did just give me a ideal. right out side my window is the power pole that supply the buildings right here theres likely a ground rod at the base. What do yall thank of me just grounding the outlets in my shop to that rod?
That works just fine if you're the one causing a short to ground, but what happens when something else does that for you. Especially when that's HV?

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 10:31:31 am »

In the US, you should measure about 120VAC from the hot lead to that ground.  PLEASE use a decent meter for this and be very careful.  From Neutral you should measure only a few volts AC.  I suggest you do this measurement because in a lot of older homes in the US, Hot and neutral are reversed in some outlets.  Once you have figured out which is which, then yes grounding to that rod is a good idea.  I also strongly advise you get an isolation transformer for your setup.  I bought a bare transformer from DigiKey, but you can likely find one used for much less.  This might save your life when you make a mistake with live AC.

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 10:32:36 am »
That works just fine if you're the one causing a short to ground, but what happens when something else does that for you. Especially when that's HV?

Hmm...you have a good point.   Having a separate ground rod is a better idea

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 10:46:58 am »
N.B. Feeding your whole bench from an isolation transformer so you can ground your bench, and so you can tie secondary side Neutral to Ground so downstream GFCIs work, *DOES* *NOT* protect you from dangerous mistakes like touching a live conductor on your bench (although a GFCI after the isolating transformer will offer you some protection).  Also an isolation transformer renders all upstream GFCIs ineffective downstream of it

If you need isolation for a D.U.T (e.g. to scope a SWMPSU without a differential probe), you should use another isolating transformer, downstream of the one feeding your bench.   Caution: this defeats any GFCI protection for the D.U.T.   

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 10:57:10 am »
N.B. Feeding your whole bench from an isolation transformer so you can ground your bench, and so you can tie secondary side Neutral to Ground so downstream GFCIs work, *DOES* *NOT* protect you from dangerous mistakes like touching a live conductor on your bench (although a GFCI after the isolating transformer will offer you some protection).  Also an isolation transformer renders all upstream GFCIs ineffective downstream of it

If you need isolation for a D.U.T (e.g. to scope a SWMPSU without a differential probe), you should use another isolating transformer, downstream of the one feeding your bench.   Caution: this defeats any GFCI protection for the D.U.T.

Agreed

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 10:59:03 am »
What about having all the outlets grounded to there own rod outside and replaced with GFCIs. then having a isolation transformer and having the output of the transform wired to a GFCI in a enclosure? then with common sense and careful probeing me and my scope should be safe right?

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 11:00:13 am »
if legislation, the landlord and anything else failed... make your own ground in the floor level poking in copper rod inside the drilled floor and start making proper wiring throughout the house, GFCI and all. i will anticipate a debate for this, people may argue on concrete conductivity, effectiveness etc. but just think how are you going to be safe touching hot wire by tripping GFCI while ground is several meters down on earth while you are standing several meters up on a concrete structure? but that is just me, and as i said, if anything else failed. its your ghost anyway and your ghost belong to you remember that.

edit: as a teaser, a home thats several KV away...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:03:20 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 11:04:04 am »
What about having all the outlets grounded to there own rod outside and replaced with GFCIs. then having a isolation transformer and having the output of the transform wired to a GFCI in a enclosure? then with common sense and careful probeing me and my scope should be safe right?

I worry about a lighting strike or similar high voltage event that raises your pole ground rod to dangerous levels.  I would recommend your own ground rod.  Copper or brass is great if you can get it.  I used steel because I had one...knowing it will corrode in a few years probably and need replacing.

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 02:10:31 pm »
Only issue is my home has no grounding. Its a fuse box era apartment building with no ground in the outlets and no ground in the box. I cant cut into the wall to run any grounding. I read that a GFCI can be used as a alternative to grounding. What do you guys thank about this? would a GFCI keep me from frying my self or my gear

Yes, a GFCI is the proper solution to wanting to plug in a 3-prong grounding-type device when no ground is present in the device box.  This is plainly spelled out in Article 406 of the US National Electrical Code, specifically Article 406.3.

Essentially, when you wish to replace a receptacle that is wired from a 2-wire, non-grounded cable, you have three options.  Option one is to replace the receptacle with a new two-prong outlet.  These are still produced for replacement purposes in this situation and will be of the polarized type.  This obviously doesn't help your situation.  :)

The second solution is to replace the two-prong receptacle with a three-prong GFCI receptacle, provided it has been marked "No Equipment Ground."  In addition, any receptacles downstream from the device box where the GFCI is installed (and properly connected to the output LOAD terminals) may also optionally be replaced with a 3-prong receptacle, provided they are each marked "GFCI Protected" in addition to "No Equipment Ground."  This is usually done by replacing the first receptacle on the circuit with the GFCI and then updating all the rest of the outlets on that circuit downstream to the 3-prong type, properly marked.  GFCI receptacles sold in Canada and the US should include 12 little stickers in the box, usually shiny silver color, that say "GFCI Protected" to stick on downstream outlets, where used, and sometimes ones with "No Equipment Ground" just for this purpose since this is a common issue.  Alternatively, instead of a GFCI first receptacle, you can install a GFCI breaker for that circuit and then label the replaced outlets accordingly. GFCI receptacles are usually about 1/5th the cost of a GFCI breaker, though, so that method is rarely chosen.  :)  (Doesn't help you with your fuses, regardless...)

The third method is to add a bonding (code-speak for grounding...  bonding to ground) wire to the device box.  This can mean replacing the 2-wire cable with modern 3-wire cable or simply fishing in a ground wire.  The wire must go to a main premise ground that meets current electrical code.  Depending on the location and soil type, etc. this means grounding rod(s) and/or the service entrance of the water main if supplied by underground copper, etc.  That needs to be determined by your local inspector.  Generally if you're going to need to upgrade your bonding your inspector is going to require service equipment updating to current code as well, which is what likely tends to cause building owners to not want to ever update anything.  One can always try pleading with your local inspector, of course.  :)

Under no circumstances may you ever use one of those three-prong to two-prong adapters when there is no ground present in the device box.  Those are only used where the box and two-prong receptacle are grounded (so the faceplate screw is ground) and the little tab is properly mounted with the faceplate screw.  They are silly because in this case you should just replace the 2-prong with a standard 3-prong grounded outlet, since the ground is there.

would a scope measure accurately if connected to a GFCI?

Under most circumstances, yes, though the noise margins may be worse on some measurements due to the lack of grounded shielding.  It really depends on what you're measuring but I doubt you'll be looking at anything like tiny RF signals as a beginner.  My first oscilliscope, an ancient ~5 MHz tube model, doesn't even have a grounded plug.  It still works fine, you just have to remember that you can accidentally enliven the chassis of a floating scope if your GND lead goes somewhere that has a path back to mains.  :) 

Isn't your landlord required to install any grounding? It seems rather dangerous to run certain kinds of equipment without any ground at all, like most appliances in the kitchen or bathroom.

No, if it passed electrical code when it was built (which it did), it is not required to be updated unless you are doing renovations and open the wall, in which case it is required to be updated to the standards set out in the current code when work is done.  Also, if a receptacle is added to an existing circuit where a receptacle did not exist before, the new receptacle must be properly grounded and bonded to earth (but you do not necessarily need to re-do the other receptacles on the circuit, unless you're opening walls.)

Give or take if the landlord would be bankrupted by the expense, but a convenient anonymous report to the fire department might be appropriate here.

There is no requirement for it to be updated unless other renovation work is being performed which opens the wall.  Then it would need to be updated.  Calling anyone isn't going to help, it is a perfectly valid installation.

As for instruments, it works the same as "lifted ground".  On the one hand, you may not need an isolation transformer.  On the other, you have nowhere for fault currents to go in case you do miswire something.

Nowhere for fault currents to go means you'll be less likely to blow up your scope with careless misplacement of the ground lead.   ;)

Seriously though, it is perfectly safe.  If the GFCI sees more than 5 mA of current flowing outside the closed loop, it will trip.  That is barely enough to feel a slight tingle.  This could be a nuisance if you accidentally trip things all the time on the bench (I would personally find a GFCI very annoying on my test bench) but it is completely safe.  Apart from the shielding and noise shunting/protection aspects, really the only drawback of not actually having the ground is that a faulty piece of equipment, with an internal fault that causes the chassis to become shorted to line, for example, will not immediately blow the overcurrent fuse.  You would have to touch the chassis to something that is actually grounded (perhaps you) and cause the 5 mA of current to flow and trip the GFCI instead.

From a safety standpoint of not zapping yourself, a GFCI is far more important than a good ground. 

I'm far from an expert on US law, but wouldn't the right to a habitable home include wiring that's remotely modern and up to code? Just the possibility of liability on his side if anything were to happen to you should be reason for him to act. I don't think Texas is known for its lenient penal system.

As long as it passed inspection when it was installed and has not been improperly altered since, it is perfectly valid.  It would be silly to require mandatory upgrades.  Where does it end?  Everyone has to re-wire their house every four years to stay up to date with the code?  Should all dwellings be forced to go back and install arc-fault breakers for any circuit feeding a bedroom?  Kitchens be gutted and re-wired for split-duplex where only single-circuit outlets are installed?  Not going to happen.  That would be silly.

The GFCI is not an alternative to grounding. In fact, having grounding and not GFCI is quite dangerous.

Hyperbole much?   ::)

No, GFCI is not the same as grounding.  They serve different purposes, though from a safety standpoint there is some overlap.  In the US and Canada, a GFCI branch circuit is a valid way of using three-prong, grounding type equipment on an ungrounded installation.  You just need to be aware of the limitations, like lack of grounded equipment shielding, which is why the individual outlets must be properly marked accordingly.

The US and Canada do not have silly RCDs on whole premise wiring.  We aren't all dropping like flies from getting electrocuted.  Quite the opposite.  The current methods have been found to be sufficiently safe.  Local GFCI protection is required in potentially damp locations like right beside a kitchen or bathroom sink, outdoor outlets, spas, etc. and I personally believe that is sufficient, though a paranoid person could "upgrade" if they really wanted.  :)

Whole-premise RCD protection would be a nightmare for me, personally.

If you only have one of them, I think it is best to have GFCI.

For not getting zapped?  Absolutely.

The GFCI basically measures the current that enters the house on the live line and the current that returns in the neutral. If a difference of, for instance 20mA, is detected, it means that some current is returnig on a non intended way, like form your body to the floor, and it shuts down the power.

Regular branch circuit GFCI outlets in US/Canada are 5 mA trip.

It don't always protect you if you touch the live and the neutral at the same time but gives some protection if you touch only the live wires.

It doesn't give you ANY protection against touching both at the same time!

Now you're just making stuff up.  The ground conductor must be sized to handle the fault current of the live conductors.  It would be rather pointless to have a 14ga bond wire on an 0/4 feeder.   :palm:

That's a bit of a stretch...   :palm: That is why wrist straps have a 1 meg resistor in them.

If you don't have a GFCI I will recommend to install it ASAP as it can save your life.

Alright, we get it.  You like GFCIs and hyperbole.  :)  Got it.

It is quite nasty because some AC current can couple with external metal appliance surfaces and induce current on you below the 20mA GFCI tripping point

Dude, it sounds like you have some faulty appliances.  You should check into that.  :)

This has nothing to do with fuses...  :palm:

Every plug is fused in the UK, whether it has an Earth or not.

Yeah, that's because you folks use the strange-to-us method of essentially stiffly connecting the whole house directly to the mains feeders and letting the plugs try to play mediator.  :)

Your system seems insane to us, and our system seems insane to you, but they both work.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 11:13:24 pm by drussell »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, mtdoc, edavid, agehall, Wimberleytech

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 02:20:59 pm »
I don't think "it was up to code in 1924" will cut it when someone dies due to your lack of maintenance. But then again, regulations don't always make sense.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 02:43:36 pm »
I don't think "it was up to code in 1924" will cut it when someone dies due to your lack of maintenance. But then again, regulations don't always make sense.

This has nothing to do with maintenance.  Obviously if your installation is deficient somehow, broken plugs, exposed wiring, etc. and it kills someone somehow, that is going to be negligence.

If the wiring which was installed is still sound and fit for service, there is no issue, even if it was installed and inspected in 1924.  Whoever is insuring the place against fire, though, is likely to want some electrical upgrades over the years to maintain reasonably-priced insurance coverage.  That's who usually ends up forcing the owner to update.  Well, that, or doing any kind of serious renovations.

Bringing in a new safety standard just means that new stuff must conform, so eventually old gets rotated out and new rotated in over time to whatever is considered best practice at the time and thus is current minimum code.

It is somewhat strange for his apartment to have no grounding as generally even very old commercial buildings and most larger apartment complexes, etc. would have had grounding but it probably wasn't required for that particular size of residential.  Commercial probably required conduit at the time, so would be grounded, but obviously not his particular residence type.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 03:03:19 pm »
This has nothing to do with maintenance.  Obviously if your installation is deficient somehow, broken plugs, exposed wiring, etc. and it kills someone somehow, that is going to be negligence.

If the wiring which was installed is still sound and fit for service, there is no issue, even if it was installed and inspected in 1924.  Whoever is insuring the place against fire, though, is likely to want some electrical upgrades over the years to maintain reasonably-priced insurance coverage.  That's who usually ends up forcing the owner to update.  Well, that, or doing any kind of serious renovations.

Bringing in a new safety standard just means that new stuff must conform, so eventually old gets rotated out and new rotated in over time to whatever is considered best practice at the time and thus is current minimum code.

It is somewhat strange for his apartment to have no grounding as generally even very old commercial buildings and most larger apartment complexes, etc. would have had grounding but it probably wasn't required for that particular size of residential.  Commercial probably required conduit at the time, so would be grounded, but obviously not his particular residence type.
You're Canadian and we're talking about US code. Do you have experience with US code or are you extrapolating what you know about local code to the US? These things can and will vary wildly across borders.

And again, I doubt you'll get off the hook when someone kills himself using an installation that's considered a death trap by today's standards. Even if that was up to code nearly a century ago. We're not even talking about things breaking and wearing over time.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 03:27:14 pm »
You're Canadian and we're talking about US code. Do you have experience with US code or are you extrapolating what you know about local code to the US? These things can and will vary wildly across borders.

Most parts of the Canadian and US code are very similar, though certainly not identical.  I am well aware of the differences, as we build things like three-phase power converters that are intended for operation in both countries. 

The code which I cited is part of the US, not Canadian NEC.  US NEC Article 406.3, is the authority on this, not me.  You may wish to read it for yourself, if you like.

And again, I doubt you'll get off the hook when someone kills himself using an installation that's considered a death trap by today's standards. Even if that was up to code nearly a century ago. We're not even talking about things breaking and wearing over time.

Again, I refer you to your friendly neighborhood codebook.  Non-grounded 2-wire was still valid for new installations much more recently than 100 years ago and is still referenced many times in the current code since it is still in active use in the field.  Code tells you exactly how to deal with it and also contains all the information about responsibilities for the legalities, etc. for electrical installations.

Plus, I certainly wouldn't call 2-wire un-grounded "a death trap" when properly implemented.  As long as somebody doesn't go around doing something like putting 3-prong outlets in there with no ground, no GFCI protection, etc. it is all still perfectly safe from a "zap yourself" perspective.  Many appliances and devices are still supplied with only 2-prong cords because they are double insulated or transformer operated, etc.  There is often no need for ground protection.

If you're interested in this stuff and how it differs from your local code, read the US (and/or Canadian) NEC...  It has all the information you seek.  :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 11:45:48 pm by drussell »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf