Author Topic: Observing Embedded Hardware Logic Signals with an OScope  (Read 5277 times)

dsoftware

Observing Embedded Hardware Logic Signals with an OScope
« on: January 05, 2010, 04:51:03 am »
I just picked up a Rigol 1102E, and I want to use it to read signals off of some embedded hardware in an attempt troubleshoot and identify some of the digital components.  Right now, my goal is capture these signals, then plot them as a square wave so that the signal will resemble the output of a logic analyzer.  I was wondering if there are any books, documents, or tutorials for performing tasks like this?   

Thanks.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Observing Embedded Hardware Logic Signals with an OScope
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 08:35:08 pm »
have you any ideas of what your actually trying to do ? I don't. why do you need to "plot the signals as square waves" ? if they are square waves they are square !

dsoftware

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 08:58:28 pm »
Sorry I was not clear.  I want to plot the rise and fall of the signal based on the voltage.  For example, voltages in the range 0 - +3.3 plot a 1 and voltages in the range -3.3 - 0  plot a 0.  If the signal is plotted in this manner, then it will result in what looks like a square wave.  To be honest, I forgot what this diagram is is called.  The work I have done on stuff like this level was brief, and it has been about 5-6 years since then. 

I was wondering if it was possible to do this with the Rigol 1102E via some function or if anyone had any tips with regard to how they have done it in the past. 

Thanks.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 09:10:06 pm »
I don't think the rigol can do that, maybe by setting a lower that needed V/div you will get that effect as it will creat distortion but I think it will be hard to read. what frequency are you working with ? you could use a comparator circuit to covert the signal

Offline jahonen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 09:30:05 pm »
I think that only reasonable way to do this would be by transferring the trace data to the computer and then convert the voltage on each data point to 0 or 1. Or perhaps there could be some kind of a software which continuously downloads and updates the results.

Regards,
Janne

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 11:48:10 pm »
You'd have to suck the captured data into Excel and write a script to convert the voltages into 0 and 1's, and then plot it in some manner. Possible, but a bit messy.

Why do you need to do this?, what advantage is there in converting to 0's and 1's?, do you want to analyse the signals with some form of automated script?

Dave.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf