Author Topic: Oils/products for keeping tools in good condition?  (Read 7645 times)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Oils/products for keeping tools in good condition?
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 08:33:11 am »
Best rust removal approach I've come across is this:

Then you apply the oil.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:08:55 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: KL27x

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2018, 09:13:52 am »
ACF50 is worth considering, although a bit expensive.  It's a rust inhibitor for aviation.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2018, 10:55:24 am »
For longer term storage, I use LPS3.

For routine stuff I use LPS2 which leaves a film behind.  Greaseless lubricants have their uses but preservation is not one of them.

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2018, 07:55:35 pm »
I like to keep some of the Starrett Tool and Instrument oil on a rag in a bag in my toolbox and in a "pen oiler".  If something's made of a tool steel that can rust I'll usually wipe it down with the oily rag after use.  This has the advantage of being pretty harmless stuff to get on your skin. 

For bigger tools I'll spray them with CRC 3-36 as needed.  As far as I can tell it's not that much unlike WD-40.  Most of these type of products are mineral oil in a mineral spirits carrier.  I like the pump spray bottles for less mess than aerosol spray.

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 09:31:39 pm »
I have a bottle something called "Eds red" it have been my go to tool oil for past 10 years.. Lanolin, gearbox oil and paraffin oil.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2018, 10:07:31 pm »
The formula I have known as Ed's Red is DIY, for cleaning out carbon. 50% acetone and 50% gearbox oil (ATF). I didn't even know it was a commercial product.

Offline Sudo_apt-get_install_yum

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2018, 01:45:52 pm »
The thing that works the best for my tools is snake oil, it lubricates, sharpens the tools and repair cracks and broken bits. It’s truly the best thing for your tools and its only 9.99$ and if you order within 10 minutes you’ll get two bottles for the price of 2, that’s only 19.98, it’s not even 20$ and it will restore all of your tools!

WHAT A DEAL! Only a fool wouldn’t take an opportunity like that!

Offline 6PTsocket

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2018, 02:43:27 pm »
I bought that hype, too. Check the SDS for Fluid Film. It is largely petroleum based. After you subtract all the percentages of petroleum distalates there is not much percentage left for the unlisted, because it is not hazardous, lanolin.
Fluid Film is good. It’s lanolin based, so no problems if you get it on your skin.
I was a little doubtfull at first, but hav found it to be really good.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-Extension-Number-Service/dp/B07CJWV273/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1534621901&sr=8-12-spons&keywords=rust+preventative+spray&psc=1

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline 6PTsocket

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2018, 02:59:31 pm »
I just checked the SDS for WD 40 it is over 75% mineral turpentine and the remainder is six different oils. That would seem to indicate it is 75% solvent and 25% assorted oils that remain behind as a lubricant or to keep water out. It is not a great lube but it is not nothing. I checked the CAS to see what the 75% was. I did not research the exact make up of the other six.

Offline 6PTsocket

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2018, 03:02:39 pm »
Superlube is non toxic. It is silicone paste with teflon particles added. I saw the compsny rep smear it on his tongue to make the point.
Some of the better products are gun care products of which there are many types and consistencies.
For medium term corrosion protection they can be very useful while the thinner solutions offer better penetration properties. For stiff tool joints you want something thin to penetrate and flush the joint and pretty much any light petrochemical product is fine for freeing up tools....even petrol/gasoline. Then proceed to a proper light lubricant to maintain movement and minimize wear.
One need consider non-staining properties which would be where the likes of clear lubricants like sewing machine oils could be more useful than many. I use a product from INOX, MX3 it's clear, food grade and it lingers.

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2018, 03:41:24 pm »
The formula I have known as Ed's Red is DIY, for cleaning out carbon. 50% acetone and 50% gearbox oil (ATF). I didn't even know it was a commercial product.
Neither did I until yesterday. The exact recipe can be found while searching the web with - C.E "Ed" Harris - who is the author for this recipe, its true use is gun bore cleaner / oil. :)

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2018, 12:39:15 am »
+1 for snake oil. It's great!

Honestly, the oil industry, at least at the consumer level, is quite a lot like the beverage industry. It's an extremely profitable sector which is 90% about product packaging and marketing/distribution. Beverage companies, new and old, Coke or Monster Energy.. not all of them, but MANY of the most successful ones spend more on marketing than on their product.  Like colored/sweetened water, we essentially have a limitless supply of light oils as a byproduct of world demand for fuel oil.

This is the perfect industry for politicos to hand contracts out to their chronies. I personally know a company that gets multimillion dollar government contracts. There's no extensive research and development department. There's no laboratory. It's 4 guys who know someone who knows someone, mixing and bottling oil and grease and getting a bit bite of government cheese.   

The ACF50 aircraft stuff, I'm sure started out like this. I bet 99% of their business is beaurocratically mandated through government or other monopoly policy makers. It's cute they even have a website and/or sell through other distributors to individuals.

The exact recipe can be found while searching the web with - C.E "Ed" Harris - who is the author for this recipe, its true use is gun bore cleaner / oil. :)
I found this:
The original bore cleaner formula calls for equal parts :
Acetone
K-1 Kerosene (hurricane lamp oil is another name)
Mineral spirits - low odor
ATF , GM Dexron III regular not synthetic .
There's one reference that claims whale oil as one of the original ingredient.

All in all, this list sounds a lot like an average guy mixing up w/e he has lying around his garage and seeing if it works.  :-// And I bet many commercial oils are no different, other than they would be putting way more attention to the cost of the raw ingredients available to them at the time. In many cases they are using the less refined precursors to stuff that even has a name. "Hydrotreated light petroleum distillate." What is that? Maybe it would produce some lighter fluid, some mineral oil, some other stuff if further refiend. Or we can buy this stuff for 1 cent a gallon, add a drop of otter semen, and call it CR90.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 01:21:49 am by KL27x »

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2018, 08:16:59 pm »

There's one reference that claims whale oil as one of the original ingredient.
To derail this topic even further. Yes according to Harris original article (or the reproductions I have seen in many places) claims the recipe is based on old Frankford Arsenal Cleaner No.18, formula given in Hatcher's Notebook.

https://www.majorsgunclub.org/edsred.html

I have found the Ed's red without acetone and lanolin addition to be a nice all around micro mechanic oil, including (cast iron) sewing machines. IIRC I used Dexron III, Lanolin (anhydrous = waterfree), kerosene/paraffin (lamp oil), mineral spirit. Just incredient that were on garage, except the lanolin.

Post #900 - Need to get a life.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:18:59 pm by Vtile »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2018, 08:53:16 pm »
It should be noted that actual lubricating oil designed for best performance is not just any old oil, it is oil specifically designed for the lubricating job. In particular, mineral oil is refined to keep all the long, straight chain molecules and to remove the aromatic and cyclic molecules. Therefore any random oil you happen to find (like lamp oil) isn't necessarily lube oil.

A good source of actual, purpose designed lube oil is motor oil.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2018, 09:07:37 pm »
It should be noted that actual lubricating oil designed for best performance is not just any old oil, it is oil specifically designed for the lubricating job. In particular, mineral oil is refined to keep all the long, straight chain molecules and to remove the aromatic and cyclic molecules. Therefore any random oil you happen to find (like lamp oil) isn't necessarily lube oil.

A good source of actual, purpose designed lube oil is motor oil.

Motor oil is one of the better choices although for bearings, I prefer heavier gear oil intended for a transmission or differential since I am usually oiling something which is worn.  I need to test out automatic transmission fluid; it might be even better.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2018, 09:20:40 pm »
The problem with gear oil is that it really stinks! -  Especially the hypoid gear extreme pressure stuff.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:37:06 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2018, 11:01:51 pm »
The problem with gear oil is that it really stinks! -  Especially the hypoid gear extreme pressure stuff.

Usually so little is used that there is little smell.  And besides, the smell reminds me of steam engines.

Not all grades of gear oil include sulfur and the later synthetic transmission fluid like gear oil also does not contain sulfur.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2018, 01:42:43 pm »
Motor oil is one of the better choices although for bearings, I prefer heavier gear oil intended for a transmission or differential since I am usually oiling something which is worn.  I need to test out automatic transmission fluid; it might be even better.

I tend to avoid motor oil for machinery bearings as it contains detergents which might keep metal particles in suspension and accelerate wear.
You can buy non detergent motor oil (although it's a bit hard to find).
Maybe it is a non-issue  - What is your experience? 

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2018, 04:36:01 pm »
WD 40 or de-greaser/brake cleaner to clean, Ballistol to preserve.
Support your local planet.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2018, 05:41:21 pm »
WD in WD40 is short for Water Displacement. The 40 is the 40th attempt before they got it right. It's not a lubricating agent at all.

It's meant for use inside say a distributor cap that has condensation in it; spray in some WD40, wipe, reinstall and start the engine. I've literally been in this situation one night when I hit a flooded road during a heavy downpour as I was rounding a curve at ~ 4AM. Stuff kept me from being stranded on the side of the road.

For my hand tools (pliers & cutters), I use 3 in One oil. Stuff's worked very well for me over the years. If you've a particularly stiff joint, you might want to consider a penetrating oil such as Kroil.

If you need even more application precision, there's various precision oilers available (needle tips). Images.

Offline 6PTsocket

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2018, 07:52:09 pm »
Neither did I until yesterday. The exact recipe can be found while searching the web with - C.E "Ed" Harris - who is the author for this recipe, its true use is gun bore cleaner / oil. :)
On automotive sites  50/50 Acetone/ATF is widely known as a rust buster to get parts unstuck. It came out on top in a widely quoted comparison test against commercial products like Kroil and PB Blaster. Subsequent tests by others found that, while effective it might not be that superior to commercial products. It is, however, CHEAP.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2018, 08:40:28 pm »
I tend to avoid motor oil for machinery bearings as it contains detergents which might keep metal particles in suspension and accelerate wear.

If that has been an issue, I have never noticed.  Of the things I have tested over the years though, common motor oil was one of the best options for small bushings and roller bearings on fans and motors.  Gear oil was as good if not better.  Greases and common thin oils like LPS2 and 3-in-1 oil were worse.

On automotive sites  50/50 Acetone/ATF is widely known as a rust buster to get parts unstuck. It came out on top in a widely quoted comparison test against commercial products like Kroil and PB Blaster. Subsequent tests by others found that, while effective it might not be that superior to commercial products. It is, however, CHEAP.

The guy over at Project Farm did some tests where acetone plus ATF worked well and only Liquid Wrench or a heating torch was better:

The following users thanked this post: iainwhite

Offline 6PTsocket

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2018, 10:40:11 am »

If that has been an issue, I have never noticed.  Of the things I have tested over the years though, common motor oil was one of the best options for small bushings and roller bearings on fans and motors.  Gear oil was as good if not better.  Greases and common thin oils like LPS2 and 3-in-1 oil were worse.

The guy over at Project Farm did some tests where acetone plus ATF worked well and only Liquid Wrench or a heating torch was better:

And other tests got different results. When it comes to this kind of stuff everybody has a favorite that they swear by.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2018, 12:03:15 pm »
I remember my dad keeping and using liquid wrench to free things up.  I still use it to this day.  I also remember 3 in 1 oil to stop squeaks.  On the topic of motor oil as a lubricant, a piece of equipment we had deployed years ago, the manufacturer recommended Marvel Mystery Oil as the lubricant for the parts that needed lubrication.  A very small amount applied by hypodermic went a long way.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2018, 01:05:15 pm »
Hi,

I use a product called "Ballistol". Its a conserving oil used for:

- keeping rust from metal parts
- polishing gunshafts
- lubricate delicate parts (sewing machine ...)
- in the food industry (nontoxic)

I does not clot or thicken with time, either.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf