Author Topic: Old Tek' Scope Only Showing Mains Noise  (Read 1954 times)

Offline ed_reardonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Old Tek' Scope Only Showing Mains Noise
« on: November 08, 2016, 09:41:46 pm »
Hi all,

My venerable old Tektronix 2211 is misbehaving,  it's not showing anything useful really except mains noise.

I can get a lovely clear 50Hz signal on the screen (about 2v P-P) but apart from that I can't get it to display anything.

The only thing that DOES work is 'scoping out the probe adjust pin on the 'scope itself displays fine. I've tried a few different probes.  I can get nothing useful AC or DC.  I've double and triple checked the 'scope settings. 

It started doing this a few weeks ago then I left it and it behaved again, but now it seems firmly stuck doing this,  just as I'm about to test and comission a little project!

I have had issues with the earthing in this house,  could this potentially be related to loss of mains voltage reference?

Cheers,
Ed

• Regular Contributor
Re: Old Tek' Scope Only Showing Mains Noise
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 11:02:25 pm »
A firm whack and its working again.

Time for a tear-down methinks!

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 06:53:32 am »
I can get a lovely clear 50Hz signal on the screen (about 2v P-P) but apart from that I can't get it to display anything.

The only thing that DOES work is 'scoping out the probe adjust pin on the 'scope itself displays fine. I've tried a few different probes.  I can get nothing useful AC or DC.  I've double and triple checked the 'scope settings. 
Most probably, a broken ground connection to input bnc.
The probe calibration oscillator is internally grounded and works OK, anything else is missing ground reference.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 07:07:40 am »
I agree,  it's working lovely this morning,  but it's been doing this occasionally for a good long time but last night it took a good whack to free it!

This 'scope is very old, I'm trying to persuade the boss to upgrade it (this is an old 'scope from the workshop that I have at home for doing a few bits of home-work) but until then I shall nurse it along.

It is a very good 'scope when it works, but the switchgear is getting very crusty (the poor thing has been used all day-every day since 1988) so it's time for a major overhaul.

These old Tek 'scopes are built tough though,  I'd gladly recommenced one to anybody working on a tight budget.

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 03:54:14 am »
Do both vertical channels show the same noise?

What is displayed in XY mode?

What exactly is it showing?  Is it 50 Hz or 100 Hz?  If it is 100 Hz, then the problem is almost certainly the 2200uF power supply input capacitor.  If it is 50 Hz, then one of the diodes in the input bridge rectifier may be open.

I have never seen the schematics for the 2210/2211 so I am going by the 2225 which as far as I know has the same basic design.

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 04:47:23 am »
Percussive troubleshooting never hurts :)
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 06:54:26 am »
Percussive troubleshooting never hurts :)
Think of the children 'scopes!
It seems a sort of abusive relationship: there's violence but also some kind of love.
I don't know whether you can bring a 'scope to couple counseling...
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline salbayeng

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 07:12:46 am »
I'm inclined to agree with an earlier poster about having a bad earth connection from a front panel BNC.
I've had this happen before.
You can usually verify / work-around this by jumpering from a good ground on the "external trig" or similar rarely used BNC, (or the ground on the "Test signal") to the ground on your probe.
Note that scope probes themselves are notorious for going open circuit on the ground lead.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf