Author Topic: on-the-go soldering  (Read 8490 times)

Offline bsahdyTopic starter

• Contributor
on-the-go soldering
« on: April 08, 2014, 08:03:16 pm »
sometimes in the summer i go on vacation and i would need a soldering station!! but they are big and dont want to risk damaging it because they are quite expansive.

is there any soldering irons that are good for on-the-go work and are cheap? (btw this is for hobby needs like wires and connectors no SMD work)

i was looking into the new Weller "hobby" irons that plug into the wall. i know a lot of people hate plug-ins but they are relatively cheap and portable

here is a link:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=25118626

side note: i would be soldering some heavy gauge wires like 10AWG or so, so what wattage should i get? the 80watts, that i linked, or a 40watt will suffice? 

Offline Holograph

• Regular Contributor
Re: on-the-go soldering
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 08:08:49 pm »
10AWG wires are not going to be easy to solder, especially not with a cheap soldering iron. This would probably be more appropriate for like an automotive style soldering gun (which, in general, I HATE to use - but then again I haven't used them often so I could just suck with them).

What's the application? Will this be wire-to-wire? Is crimping an option?

Even a cheap 80 watter will probably not be able to do this job (and if it does it, it won't be easy). If you do buy one of those pencil irons, make sure to NEVER use it for anything precise, and I REALLY recommend a stand. These things can be a real fire hazard, especially the high-wattage ones.

If you do use it, load that sucker up with solder. The more you use, the easier the heat will transfer, but obviously at the cost of a potentially sloppier joint. Make sure not to make a cold soldering joint.

Honestly, I wouldn't use a soldering iron lower in quality than my ~$75-100 Weller WES51. I recently got a JBC iron after watching Dave's review on his, and compared to that, my WES51 might as well have cost $20. The JBC is just so much faster at everything. I can't imagine using an iron lower in quality/thermal capacity than the WES51, especially to solder relatively large-gauge wire.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:43:59 pm by Holograph »

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 08:10:07 pm »
"on the go" and "electronics soldering" make me think butane soldering iron. maybe a pyropen?
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 08:57:15 pm »
For 10AWG wire, I've used something like a Weller soldering gun.  This is a big, heavy duty device, not at all suited to PCB work or delicate components, but good for making a Western Union style splice where there's nothing especially heat-sensitive nearby.  It could work for most connectors, as long as they're not too delicate.  It was originally developed for servicing old vacuum tube radios, and works well for most point-to-point electronic wiring from the tube era. 

A gun has a low thermal mass, but a high wattage heating element that you heat up separately for each joint.  You provide the "thermostatic control", such as it is, by holding the trigger until it gets hot enough, but not much longer.

http://www.stevenjohnson.com/soldering/guns.htm

If you're set on a pencil style iron (they are smaller than a gun) an 80 watt unregulated iron is too hot for most general purpose uses.  On the other hand, 40 watts might not be enough for 10AWG wiring.  It's a tough call, but I'd be inclined to go for the 40 watt unit, unless almost all the work was with big heavy wires.

I second Holograph's remarks about getting a stand for a pencil style iron.  And make sure the stand is secured so that it won't tip over.

I don't have experience with butane irons, but that's an interesting avenue to explore.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 09:17:47 pm »
i have the Weller 8200 soldering gun but never really used it . ill give it a shot and let you know.

Offline Neverther

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 09:23:03 pm »
Tested on-the-go:

Buthane:
Weller WP1 (Iroda Solderpro 100/110/120 if you want it cheaper, chinese noname for even cheaper).
Tips fit eachother so its not too much of a problem.
Pretty nice.

Electric:
Weller BP865C 4xAA cheapo, annoying as hell as the thing relies on AAs to provide current.

Cordless and no temperature control but I dont feel thats necessary on quick field repairs (usually automotive/agricultural fixes in my case).

I've soldered battery cables with small blowtorchs, atleast tips wont go bad and its fast.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 09:29:38 pm »
I have used my old style Weller soldering gun for soldering 10awg wire with no problem.  I used some 10awg solid wire to make a hot wire cutting blade for it as well.

Weller makes a variety of temperature controlled pencil style soldering irons which just plug into the wall.  I had a W60P3 at one point and it worked well until a friend plugged it into 240.  Now I have a much larger larger W100P3 but since it is temperature controlled, it is still works well on small jobs.

A soldering gun or the lower power but less expensive WP25 would be my choice if I wanted to save money.

I have a couple of old Iso-Tip cordless soldering irons as well.  They are not temperature controlled but work well for little jobs:

http://www.iso-tip.com/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:32:43 pm by David Hess »

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 09:33:40 pm »
This is a big 80 watt iron used for stained glass. It will do that size of wire easily and is fairly inexpensive. Be a real comedy show to solder surface mount, actually that would be very funny video.

The biggest issue with any iron is tip temp. I have used some really inexpensive irons (the ones with a control in the handle) they will work but you need to verify the tip temp with each temp change. A multimeter with a point contact probe or a purpose built tip probe. 

Here is the type of iron I'm referring to, it's basically a disposable iron.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/60W-Electric-Temperature-Adjustable-Soldering-Iron-Tool-/190441101543?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c572c98e7

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 09:45:02 pm »
This is a big 80 watt iron used for stained glass. It will do that size of wire easily and is fairly inexpensive. Be a real comedy show to solder surface mount, actually that would be very funny video.

The biggest issue with any iron is tip temp. I have used some really inexpensive irons (the ones with a control in the handle) they will work but you need to verify the tip temp with each temp change. A multimeter with a point contact probe or a purpose built tip probe. 

Here is the type of iron I'm referring to, it's basically a disposable iron.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/60W-Electric-Temperature-Adjustable-Soldering-Iron-Tool-/190441101543?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c572c98e7

the one you posted isnt 80watts but i found this one?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/80-Watt-Pencil-Tip-Soldering-Iron-with-Wood-Handle-110V-80W-/281296393800?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417e925648

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 09:58:24 pm »
I'm talking about two different irons.

The black one is a Weller in Canada you can find them for 30-40 dollars and they last a long time. Note the massive 1/2 inch diameter tip. The large mass tip allows you to solder large mass wire.

The blue 60 watt one on ebay I have used for surface mount and general electronics work. It has a temp adjustment but you need to verify the temp with a meter. I'd call this one a disposable, is uses standard hakko tips so that is nice if you have one or a clone.

The tip on the one you posted is too small to do big wire.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 11:33:34 pm »
The W100P3 that I have is like that but temperature controlled so there is no worry about burning the circuit boards.  With a small tip, it could do surface mount work just fine.  I would not consider it general purpose though since there are smaller and less expensive temperature controlled irons that would be better.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 11:44:32 pm »
The W100P3 that I have is like that but temperature controlled so there is no worry about burning the circuit boards.  With a small tip, it could do surface mount work just fine.  I would not consider it general purpose though since there are smaller and less expensive temperature controlled irons that would be better.

I should have said adjustable, that iron is 600-700 degrees that is ideal for heavy duty soldering of fat wire. A very nice iron actually. Not for board work that's for sure. And you could do stained glass with it as well if you desire.

Does it glow? Put in a very dark room and you may be able to see the body glow from the heat.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 11:51:11 pm »
You can also consider buying 907 hakko iron (or clone) and such device http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soldering-Station-Digital-DC-Controller-for-HAKKO-936-Compatible-907-Iron-Handle-/140728043102?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item20c40b865e  Then power it  form your laptop power supply.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 12:11:51 am »

I should have said adjustable, that iron is 600-700 degrees that is ideal for heavy duty soldering of fat wire. A very nice iron actually. Not for board work that's for sure. And you could do stained glass with it as well if you desire.

Like all of the Weller Magnastat irons, the tip itself regulates the tip temperature and tips are available for 600, 700, and 800 degrees.

Does it glow? Put in a very dark room and you may be able to see the body glow from the heat.

Not that I have ever noticed.  Sometimes on my older Magnastat irons the thermostat switch in the handle sticks leaving the heater on.  Then they glow visibly red then in normal room lighting.  Tapping the iron is enough to fix them.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 12:17:00 am »
Here's one I have been tempted by but I have some grunty portable irons already:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TQ-77-15-150W-Goot-Quick-Heat-Up-Soldering-Iron-AC110V-/140458943306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b401634a

Thats the 110V version, 230V also available.

Disclaimer: I have no ties with the seller.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 01:08:31 am »
I must admit I enjoy ebay. I buy Chinese stuff all the time, never expensive most of it is under 20 bucks. It's a form of gambling I guess, I don't buy lottery tickets or play cards. Just as bad I guess in some cases you could be putting your life at risk.

I wish that there was more of a choice with soldering iron handles. All the knock off ones are the same. Be nice to see some variants in the elements, cords (silicone would be nice), I think a really heavy sleeve for the element could help. Anyway no wonder there's a million hakko clones. Just go to the next shop over and pick up the part's cases pcb's and your in business. No need to design just mix and match.

To be fair I really have all the gear I need I just find the cheap stuff interesting. 

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 01:33:06 am »
"on the go" and "electronics soldering" make me think butane soldering iron. maybe a pyropen?

I have one of those from Snap-On.  Works great!  Heats up very quick.  I recommend for any portable soldering jobs.  I used it alot when I was installing car stereo systems.  It's not a pen, but rather a full soldering tip/iron.

Jason

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 02:14:55 am »
I'm pretty sure the Snap-On butane irons are Wellers. I have a couple Wellers and yes they are nice and certainly worth considering. My beefs, they won't do really big wire, I forgot the stinkin' can of butane, I constantly worry about burning stuff when it sit it down. They are awesome for heatshrink and I use the for that all the time.

There are a few on ebay as well I have a couple one was 7 bucks, it works perfectly but takes about 1 minute to heat. The other one is both torch and iron (20 bucks) It works ok but to be honest the 7 dollar one is better easier to light more robust. Neither can even compare to the Wellers in quality and finish but they certainly work.

The Wellers have a cap that you can put on the iron after use (while hot) and that is great when packing up, really the best feature of the iron by far.

Offline tjb1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 01:19:03 pm »
I just got a Weller WSTA6 Pyropen yesterday.  It works quite nicely and heats up fast, easy to fill and came with a conical soldering tip and a tip to use for heatshrink and such.  Only thing I do not like is the cover for it is not heat proof, I recall from one of the videos that at least one of the Pyropens has a heat proof cover but the WSTA6 does not but the iron does have feet to keep the tip in the air and stop it from rolling around.

I think it was around $60 for it but you only get the iron, the two tips and a cover.  Does not have a case or anything with it but I believe the higher end ones come with a case but they are closer to $100-130.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 01:46:27 pm »
The Weller Pyropen irons are kind of fragile so the case is well worth it.

Offline tjb1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 01:56:42 pm »

Is there a place that sells cases for them?  I'd like to get one.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 02:56:24 pm »

Is there a place that sells cases for them?  I'd like to get one.

I did not consider searching for a suitable case until mine broke and I never replaced it.  The fragile part assuming the metal guard over the torch element is left on is the clear plastic fuel reservoir.

Offline GiskardReventlov

• Frequent Contributor
  • How many pseudonyms do you have?
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 11:05:11 pm »

Solder everywhere? Almost anywhere? Ok, not under water.
eBay auction: #370347195058

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 01:03:42 am »

Solder everywhere? Almost anywhere? Ok, not under water.
eBay auction: #370347195058

I love their French and Spanish translations

I wonder if you could alter the orifice or the nozzle assembly to bring in external oxygen so you can actually solder under water :)

Edit: Funny thing is that the manual is actually in all three languages.
http://download.sears.com/own/spin_prod_626590301.pdf

I do like it btw, and that price on Ebay is good, Sears sells it for $144
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 01:27:15 am by miguelvp »

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 01:17:34 am »
A DC iron controller with a knock off 936 type handle, and an arbitrary DC power supply, old laptop supplies work well.

Eg this is self contained:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Soldering-Station-Digital-DC-Controller-for-HAKKO-936-Compatible-907-Iron-Handle-/140728043102?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item20c40b865e&_uhb=1

I have this which I put in a box:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Soldering-Iron-Station-Temperature-Controller-For-HAKKO-936-T12-T1-T13-Handle-/111285949506?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e928d442&_uhb=1

I don't know about the first, but the second needs works with the A1322 element type handles but NOT with A1321 (Hakko) elements.  Elements can be bought cheap and are physically the same size so a simple matter to swap it out if you choose the wrong one.

Mine running off a laptop supply, takes, I guess, 1 minute to ramp up to 300 degrees C.  Not instant, but it's not too shabby either.  And if I ever needed to run it off a car battery, just a couple alligator clips and it's done.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf