Author Topic: Single Board Computer Running Android  (Read 5895 times)

Offline MARSHALBSBTopic starter

• Contributor
Single Board Computer Running Android
« on: July 12, 2014, 07:58:10 pm »
First, hello to everyone. :P

I've been digging into the internet for some Open Source single board computer that runs android, but, with NO BGA uC. The idea of no BGA it's because I want to build it my self... Does anyone know anything like that?

Thanks people....

Offline ShatteredRAM

• Contributor
Re: Single Board Computer Running Android
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 08:12:49 pm »
Depending on your needs, you might want to look into using embedded linux on a Cortex M0 as you can get it in a DIP package.

Never used a Cortex M0 before, I wouldn't of thought that there would be any SBCs that you can assemble yourself and run full blown android on because of the overhead that it requires.

I am not entirely sure about how feasible this is, it would depend on what the use of the SBC would be, for example, are you looking at a direct video out or simply a COM port?

Edit: You may be able to get Cortex M3 processors in QFP packages, depending on how confident you are, this might be a better option, a project called uClinux seems to be focusing on a lightweight linux distribution for embedded systems.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:24:18 pm by ShatteredRAM »

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 08:24:18 pm »
What I really want is build a XBMC remote control, using already existing android app. I could use a cell, but, it comes with a lot of unnecessary stuff... All I think that's necessary Is: Android, touchscreen display and wifi. I'm not an electronic engineering, so my knowledge is kinda limited. That's right I'm looking for an existing solution, so I'll be able to remove the parts I don't need, redesign the board to smallest  size possible, and  then build inside a simple case...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:25:50 pm by MARSHALBSB »

Offline ShatteredRAM

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 08:30:15 pm »
Right...

If you are going to make a remote control, why not just use an IR system? Transmitter on a MC device, Receiver on the host, I find it very unlikely that you will find the stuff out there to build your own SBC simply due to the system integration that is required for something like an android device, as well as the relatively high system requirements.

I understand what you are trying to do, I just feel that what you are trying to do is massive overkill if it is only going to be used as a XBMC remote.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 08:39:35 pm »
The problem in use the IR units, is when we want to access the internet.. especially to type anything in!!! It's a pain in the ass to write with the navigation keys...Now...  With android, we could just use Swype or use the touchscreen as a touchpad... which is much nice....

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 08:46:12 pm »
I've been digging into the internet for some Open Source single board computer that runs android, but, with NO BGA uC. The idea of no BGA it's because I want to build it my self... Does anyone know anything like that?
These already exist. They are called Open Wallet android tablets. Totally cheap, come preloaded with functional firmware, touchscreen, large choice of development tools. And you don't even need to solder bga.

If you want a remote for your media player, just buy a totally el cheapo remote supported by LIRC (or whatever you want to use for xbmc control).  Or is that too practical and non-DIY? ;)

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 09:00:13 pm »
hmmm...

I'll read about it mrflibble...

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 09:02:54 pm »
If all you want is XBMC then get a Raspberry Pi for $25 and hook up a Blue tooth keyboard mouse/trackpad. You can also directly wire in network or get a compatible Wife USB dongle. There is a huge RasPi community to tap knowledge from and it has been done with active development... much better suited I think to your experience/knowledge and budget. Still, getting all the necessary drivers and hardware running will take some time, not to mention optimizing your build and codes for speed. But it can do it. Just check:

http://www.raspbmc.com
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 09:09:53 pm »
About xbmc on rpi, AFAIK playback of 1080p can be a bit choppy. But maybe that's all sorted out by now. Just something on the list of things to check should you choose the rpi route.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 09:24:25 pm »
First things first...
I'm in Brasil... And only in my dreams raspberry pi cost $25... The cheapest I can get here is around $150 (damn corruption).... So I'll use a some mini Itx motherboard to my XBMC ... Anyway.... the question is the Remote control...  You got the idea... what im finding dirturbing is that there's no android opensource board... But, with so many cheap single board computer available (for you guys) I can see why no one consider to create an Androiduino board.. (sorry....i couldn't resist)

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 09:33:01 pm »
So I'll use a some mini Itx motherboard to my XBMC ... Anyway.... the question is the Remote control...
Just pick something with proper support of the list that you can buy at a reasonable price.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 09:41:51 pm »
yes sir....rsrs... I'll read you suggested list...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:59:29 pm by MARSHALBSB »

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 11:02:11 pm »
What about one of the "original" Atmel AT91SAM processors? I think they can run Linux (probably Android) you can get them in QFP packages, I think the i.MX 233 is also QFP.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 11:21:31 pm »
Everything I've found from googling on Open Wallet seems to be unrelated to tablets.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 11:35:11 pm »
Everything I've found from googling on Open Wallet seems to be unrelated to tablets.

Open wallet. Pay for tablet. Close wallet. Integrate ready to go tablet into your project. Enjoy working project & spare free time (which now goes into other projects :P).

Offline elliott

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 11:52:49 pm »
What I really want is build a XBMC remote control, using already existing android app. I could use a cell, but, it comes with a lot of unnecessary stuff.
An out of date phone is really the best way, use one that has a full keyboard. Look at a Sony Xperia X10. Sure, some of it unnecessary, but it is already done. Just strip the Android install of everything you don't need.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 12:17:55 am »
Thanks Guys!!!

Stoned.... I Don't get the OpenWallet at first too...  After google for a while it start to make sense... not funny, but laugh my self...

Elliot, after all, I'm starting to believe that an old phone is the best option... Anyway...

There's an idea... Androiduino... If someone think that this can be useful and have the ability to do it... I don't... Not right now....
(Not a time limit...but ability limit)....

thanks anyway...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf