Author Topic: OP-Amp analog Subtractor  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Cali-SamTopic starter

• Contributor
OP-Amp analog Subtractor
« on: January 05, 2016, 06:20:35 am »
I am trying to incorporate an Op-Amp subtractor into a project. ( Op Amp Circuit attached)

I am applying about 2.5v into V1 and V2, therefore I am expecting a Vout value close to Zero.  I know that I cant get exactly Zero due to opamp offset
instead, I'm getting about 700 millivolt or so at Vout.

Node A and Node B are not equal, as I would expect if negative feedback is working.

Thanks

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: OP-Amp analog Subtractor
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 08:18:12 am »
What op-amp are you simulating?

I don't know Digikey's schematic tools, but it doesn't look like a theoretical (three terminal) op-amp model, rather, one that has the output constrained within the power supply limits.  Check the datasheet for V_OL (output voltage low / saturation limit).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 09:26:04 am »
700mV, so your opamp is not rail to rail output. If you want 0V, use an opamp with dual rail. Meaning, connect it to -5V;+5V or -1V;+5V or -12V;+12V or something like that. Even with a true rail to rail opamp, you will never get 0V (unless you do some dirty analog tricks).

Offline natbuk

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 01:15:46 pm »
An alternative to running dual rail would be to move the 'ground' reference from the bottom of the non-inverting input resistor and make this, say your voltage rail /2 or 2.5V. Then you would have an output whose output was V1-V2+2.5. It's usual when using single-rail circuits to assume some kind of mid-point (such as half-rail) as a reference instead of ground. You will need to make that reference 'stiff' enough, depending on your resistor values,  - can use capacitor and resistors if you need only AC subtraction, but otherwise, might need another amp, or some other way to make low-ish impedance. If source impedance is known, though, you can just choose some resistor dividers carefully.

nat
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:46:50 pm by natbuk »

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 02:51:53 pm »
With a single-ended positive supply, the output cannot go below zero, therefore cannot go to zero.
(There are extraordinary exceptions, with some op amps that include booster circuitry to develop a negative voltage, but they are very rare.)
If you need to go to zero, you should have at least some negative supply voltage--read the data sheet to see how close to the negative rail the output can swing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf