Author Topic: Opinion on a BSIDE ZT302 multimeter  (Read 31918 times)

Offline mel

Re: Opinion on a BSIDE ZT302 multimeter
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 02:55:59 pm »

If at least one of them have the data logging feature, I've already flipped that coin ;)

I'm not in such a hurry for the multimeter, I'll go for Mark's advice and wait for his review on the ZT301, after all we are near christmas and its not the best time for buying and waiting for things to arrive from china.

I had pretty much made up my mind on getting a Zotek VC17B+ for around £15, which I believe I have read that the AN860B+ is a direct clone/rebrand of. Then I came across the ZT301, then found this thread :) 

I presume you've seen the post about modifying a Zotek VC17B+ to add data logging, which might also apply to some other versions if they have used the same revision of the chip that has serial support:-

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fkazus.ru%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D1117475%23post1117475

(untranslated link http://kazus.ru/forums/showthread.php?p=1117475#post1117475 )

There's no guarantee that the manufacturer won't have switched to a revision that doesn't support serial, and it could be cheaper and more sensible to buy a meter that supports data logging without a hack :)

I'm fairly sure I also read a comment that it was possible to hack meters with the DTM0660 to support counts of up to a maximum of 8000 with true rms, as the bside zt301 already does.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 03:01:50 pm by mel »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 06:23:15 pm »
t apart the 2000 counts less, I can't see any other significant diference (not counting the exterior look and feel). Am I missing any other difference (feature wise)?

I don't think so.

Offline ldevmTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 12:23:05 pm »

I presume you've seen the post about modifying a Zotek VC17B+ to add data logging, which might also apply to some other versions if they have used the same revision of the chip that has serial support:-

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fkazus.ru%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D1117475%23post1117475

(untranslated link http://kazus.ru/forums/showthread.php?p=1117475#post1117475 )

There's no guarantee that the manufacturer won't have switched to a revision that doesn't support serial, and it could be cheaper and more sensible to buy a meter that supports data logging without a hack :)

I'm fairly sure I also read a comment that it was possible to hack meters with the DTM0660 to support counts of up to a maximum of 8000 with true rms, as the bside zt301 already does.

Thanks for your link! I never thought in hunting info in russians forums! But I've already know that the AN860B+ and all their clones/rebrands can be hacked for data logging, as many others cheap multimeters out there. Again, the problem is that I don't have a backup meter, so messing with the new soon to be acquired one doesn't seem to be a very smart move. Also, I expect to spend a little more cash on my second multimeter, so I think it won't be a problem to find one that already supports data logging ;)

t apart the 2000 counts less, I can't see any other significant diference (not counting the exterior look and feel). Am I missing any other difference (feature wise)?

I don't think so.

Yeah, I will wait for Mark's review on the ZT301, but for all the info gathered until now it seems that AN860B+ a better choice. Fungus, two more questions regarding the AN860B+:
1. This meter has glass fuse right, is it easy to find ceramic replacements?
2. I've just saw a review on Artur's Lab channel, and the backlight is really weak, is it the case of yours?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 01:33:17 pm »
Fungus, two more questions regarding the AN860B+:

a) Yes.
b) They're standard size fuses so it shouldn't be difficult.

(from: http://www.markhennessy.co.uk/budget_multimeters/aneng_an860bplus.htm )

OTOH if you're using this meter in a situation where glass fuses might be dangerous then maybe you're doing it wrong. The fuses are only on the current input jacks and you should never be poking the meter anywhere risky with the cables connected there.

(this is why I prefer meters with separate inputs for current ranges - shared voltage/current inputs are riskier).

2. I've just saw a review on Artur's Lab channel, and the backlight is really weak, is it the case of yours?

Nope. Definitely not.

(where's this review so I can see what's said?)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 01:57:58 pm by Fungus »

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 04:35:45 pm »
Fungus, two more questions regarding the AN860B+:

a) Yes.
b) They're standard size fuses so it shouldn't be difficult.

(from: http://www.markhennessy.co.uk/budget_multimeters/aneng_an860bplus.htm )

OTOH if you're using this meter in a situation where glass fuses might be dangerous then maybe you're doing it wrong. The fuses are only on the current input jacks and you should never be poking the meter anywhere risky with the cables connected there.

(this is why I prefer meters with separate inputs for current ranges - shared voltage/current inputs are riskier).

I'm not using this multimeter (or any for that matter) in high current/voltage, let it be DC or AC, but I like to be on the safe side, I never know if I could lend my multimeter to a friend, or forget it at a friend's house, or in any other sistuation I want it to be safest that it could be (I know that in this case the safety is barely none, but if it could be barely, it is better than nothing). That is why I asked for the ceramic fuses.

Nope. Definitely not.

(where's this review so I can see what's said?)

https://youtu.be/I5g0zuLRjcc?t=903

It's so dim compared to an8002 that it seems to be no backlight at all. Is that the case of yours? Or could it be improved by some hack?

Offline mel

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 11:48:28 pm »

Yeah, I will wait for Mark's review on the ZT301, but for all the info gathered until now it seems that AN860B+ a better choice.

My interest in the ZT301 was sparked by it having a HZ setting on the dial, plus the AC DC Volts being combined, unlike the AN860B+/VC17B+, and presumably being a newer model, as it occurred to me that there's a chance that it might possibly measure higher frequencies like some of the other ZT models, and it might not suffer from the minor the AC - DC switching glitch mentioned in some an860b+ reviews. Otherwise I'd prefer the VC17b+ as it comes with a nice bright yellow protective boot with slots for the probes  ^-^

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 10:09:00 am »
2. I've just saw a review on Artur's Lab channel. It's so dim compared to an8002 that it seems to be no backlight at all. Is that the case of yours?

Definitely not. Mine looks like the one on the right.

Offline Mark Hennessy

• Frequent Contributor
    • My electronics and audio website
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2017, 12:23:28 am »
My BSIDE ZT301 arrived today.

Very impressive - that only took 2 weeks from China. Excellent service! Wish I could say the same of the seller who apparently sent me a UNI-T UT139C at the start of October, but it'll be OK in the end, I'm sure...

I haven't had a chance to test it properly, but here are some initial impressions.

The first pictures shows it between the AN8002 and the AN860B+. As you can see, it's quite a bit smaller than the latter - more so than the dimensions suggested. It doesn't have the rubber holster that the AN860B+ has, being the same construction as the AN8002.

Inside, we see 20mm ceramic fuses. Everything else is as expected for these meters - the COB and EEPROM, some MELF resistors for the current shunts and two 5M resistors that set the 10M input impedance. Of course, there is the expected minimal input protection. The silk screen says ZT301 V0.1, with a 2017 date code, so this is a pretty new design. The electrolytic cap is not a Rubycon - it's a Chang. Note how the battery holder has been shaved to clear a couple of resistors, that will almost certainly get moved when the PCB is next revised.

Underneath the PCB is almost nothing. But they did grease the switch tracks. And it feels like they greased the range switch, which feels really nice compared to all the other cheap meters I've tested.

In use, the meter works as well as expected. I was extremely pleased to discover that the backlight timeout is a sensible 2 minutes, rather than the silly 15 seconds I'm used to seeing with these cheap meters. More exploration is needed, but the only "quirk" I noted is the Hz/% selection: on the dedicated Hz position of the range switch, you need to press the button labelled "Hz/%", which is fair enough, but on the other switch positions that allow Hz/%, you get at that by pressing the yellow Select button - in which case, the Hz button does nothing. With the AN860B+, the Hz/% button always selects frequency and duty cycle, providing you're in a suitable AC mode. It's a small niggle, and you'd get used to it - not a deal breaker.

The best voltage resolution is 10uV, not the 1uV of the AN8008. But at least it does more than 10M - the highest range is 80M. The uA range has 0.1uA resolution.

The display is good. The contrast isn't great when viewed at 90 degrees, but when lying on the bench, it's nice and clear. The unlit segments stay unlit even at low angles - unlike the AN860B+, which I can't lie down on the bench if I wish to use it.

The final picture is really interesting. It shows the rear of the box, and implies there are 2 more meters in this series - one has a 9999-count (almost certainly the ZT302), and the other is a 19,000-count! If this comes true, then I wonder what chipset they're using? Can the DM1106EN used in the AN8008 (and probably this model - rather than the DTM0660?) be hacked to give 19,999 counts? I know that's of no use to those with meters that only have 4 digits on their LCDs, but it does open the door to a whole range of new, cheap meters with higher counts. Interesting...

The test leads are the same type that you get with the Aneng meters. A bit small, but pretty flexible, so quite usable in practice. Usually with BSIDE meters, the leads are far too stiff to be of any practical use. The sockets are a bit shallow, so while better quality leads will work electrically, they will stick out of the front panel somewhat. The package also includes the standard cheap thermocouple and the manual. But no carry-bag with this one!

Anyway, it's going to take a while to get around to a full review, but hopefully this is of interest in the meantime. If there are any questions, do shout!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 10:57:10 am by Mark Hennessy »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Fungus, DavidA, bmdaly, mel, ferossan

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2017, 11:48:06 am »
The contrast isn't great when viewed at 90 degrees, but when lying on the bench, it's nice and clear. The unlit segments stay unlit even at low angles - unlike the AN860B+, which I can't lie down on the bench if I wish to use it.

My AN860B+ sounds more like your ZT301. Definitely no problems viewing from "below".

The size difference is a bit surprising. I wasn't expecting so much difference. I hadn't noticed before but the spacing on the input jacks isn't symmetrical. The current input jacks are a lot closer together than normal. I think the spacing between COM and mA might be slightly reduced as well. I guess that's where they shaved off a few mm.

The AN860B+ was always going to be thicker because it has the probe holder clips underneath and they're like, 1cm or so, plus another 1cm or so for the kickstand, etc. The probe holder clips have come in handy when I throw the meter in my briefcase and they tilt the meter forwards .by about 10 degrees when it's on the bench.

Offline Mark Hennessy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2017, 12:04:50 pm »
Based on my meters and what I've seen and read, I think that there's a fair bit of tolerance with the LCDs, so my comments can only be a report of my samples (I make that disclaimer on my website). I guess that this is to be expected at this end of the market. Luckily, even the less good examples are still quite usable if you're happy to be flexible about how you use it. The only cheap multimeter that I'd complain about is the RS Pro RS-14 as, having seen quite a few samples of that meter, they are all bad, but consistently bad in the same way.

I checked the socket spacing with a BNC to dual 4mm adaptor, and I'm pretty sure it went to the COM and mA sockets OK. I'll double-check again tonight and report back if I'm wrong (it was rather late last night).

Offline 001

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2017, 01:05:27 pm »
The final picture is really interesting. It shows the rear of the box, and implies there are 2 more meters in this series - one has a 9999-count (almost certainly the ZT302), and the other is a 19,000-count! If this comes true, then I wonder what chipset they're using? Can the DM1106EN used in the AN8008 (and probably this model - rather than the DTM0660?) be hacked to give 19,999 counts? I know that's of no use to those with meters that only have 4 digits on their LCDs, but it does open the door to a whole range of new, cheap meters with higher counts. Interesting...

What benefits it will have? $40 22000 counts UT61E was released 10 years ago

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2017, 01:12:56 pm »
What benefits it will have? $40 22000 counts UT61E was released 10 years ago

UT61E is $60

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2017, 05:26:23 pm »
UT61E is $60

Prices fall  :-+ https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI-T-UT61E-Digital-Multimeters-AC-DC-Modern-Digital-Auto-Ranging-Multimeters-Mu/202099328932?hash=item2f0e0f07a4:g:~UEAAOSwi0xZ9-in

OMG, batronix sells it for 101euro...

OTOH there's several known versions, some with proper fuses, etc., others with glass fuses and missing safety components.

AFAIK Batronix only sells the "good", properly CE-rated meters.

(although I think even the CE versions don't meet the CAT ratings printed on the front).

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2017, 01:27:14 am »
Mark, thanks for the first impressions of the ZT301. It seems to be a valid choice between the AN8002 and the AN860B+, and I think that they are somewhat listening to what consumers ask for this cheap devices, like the backlight staying lit a bit longer. Mark, I would like very much to see that review, when you have the time to do it, of course  ;).

In the meantime, I've order a ZT102(AN8002). I couldn't resist a $9.99 promo and at this price I have no problem in order another cheap multimeter (like for example ZT301), there's never too much multimeters, as people say in this forum ;)

Offline ferossan

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2017, 03:36:08 pm »
Thanks Mark. A very interesting first impressions of the ZT301. To me the ZT302 may be like the Aneng AN8008 with steroids. No temperature but 9999 counts and a similar layout + the buttons of the AN860B+. Let's hope will also have the 1µV resolution in mV mode (like the AN8008). Yes, there is not temperature (which I don't care) on the ZT302 and the mA and uA inputs are on separate sockets but those are minor annoyances in the wake of having 9999 counts. Just got one yesterday for US$20 taking advantage of China Singles’ Day sale.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:12:06 pm by ferossan »

Offline DavidA

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2017, 11:27:47 pm »
I realise this thread is about the ZT302, however Mark left a review about the ZT301 so this seems an appropriate place to leave my comment.

I purchased the ZT301 a week ago from the "official" AliExpress vendor and it arrived, very securely packaged, yesterday. I took it apart to look around and remove a small flake of blue plastic rattling around inside. It has a revised PCB (v0.2) which seems to slightly shift those resistors that impinged on the battery holder. I'm not sure what else has changed.

Sorry for the poor lighting in the attached photo. I was in a hurry.

For the price I paid (US$18 + free shipping) and six day delivery (China to NZ) I'm pretty impressed so far. It beats my old $10 DSE meter in every way. It feels solid enough to me (lacks "heft" but doesn't feel paper light either). The only negative I noticed is that it didn't auto-power off, or at least it didn't after about 10 minutes, and I ran out of time to wait longer. This is a listed feature so I'm not sure what's going on there. I'll try again tonight.

Still very early days for me, I haven't used it properly yet, but assuming it does the basics well enough I think it will be a handy addition to my bench for digital electronics hobby work.

Offline Mark Hennessy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2017, 12:19:37 pm »
Thanks for the updated picture - good to know that they've revised it already. When I eventually write it up properly on my website I'll include a link to your post.

Meanwhile, I've just checked mine, and the auto power-down period is 15 minutes  :-+

Offline DavidA

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2017, 11:58:43 am »
Meanwhile, I've just checked mine, and the auto power-down period is 15 minutes

Yes, that seems about right - I just didn't leave it on long enough the first time. I notice it beeps a couple of times over a few minutes before finally turning itself off. Pressing the Select button seems to wake it back up - other buttons might do too, but I haven't tried them.

Offline precaud

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2018, 09:19:40 pm »
As part of my move away from portables that use 9V batteries, I ordered a ZT301 ($17.39 on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/BSIDE-ZT301-Portable-Handheld-Digital-Multimeter-LCD-Test-Diagnostic-Machine/232609352934) to replace a Fluke 27 I've used forever. It just arrived, and I must say I'm impressed. I prefer its size to the really small AN800x ones. ALL ranges and functions I checked with my Fluke 515A were within 1 LSD. I find nothing to complain about. An amazing bargain.

Offline Russ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2018, 09:29:42 pm »
It looks identical to my Aneng model?

Offline precaud

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2018, 09:42:02 pm »
Yeah, looks the same as the AN860B+. Except 8000 count vs 6000.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 09:47:30 pm by precaud »

Offline maxmax

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2018, 11:03:24 pm »
The ZT302 is very similar with a an8008/an8009 multimeters. Unfortunately not enough detailed tests and reviews on this multimeter.
Is someone already test a zt302 with precision multimeters?
Is zt302 multimeter has same good precision in mV/uA ranges like a AN8008?

Thanks.

PS: sorry for my english.

Offline 001

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2019, 06:01:05 pm »
Is zt302 multimeter has same good precision in mV/uA ranges like a AN8008?

Try ZT303

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf