Author Topic: Opinion on a BSIDE ZT302 multimeter  (Read 31872 times)

Offline ldevmTopic starter

• Contributor
Opinion on a BSIDE ZT302 multimeter
« on: October 19, 2017, 01:27:26 pm »
Hi,

I'm new to posting on this forum and I like to start greeting everybody!

My question is anybody has bought or has handled the BSIDE ZT302 multimeter?

This multimeter is very similar to the aneng an8008, both in appearence and specs, but it seems to be a little bit larger, has 4 input jack (instead of 3) and 4 more buttons (range, relative values, ...). For the rest it seems to be the same meter inside, 9999 counts, same ranges and functions, but I'm curious to know if it has the same flaws of the aneng an8008 pcb design.

I'm about to buy a cheap multimeter for bench work only with low power circuit testing only (hobby stuff) and for what I've read here in the forum the ANENG AN8008 is a good choice for me, but is the BSIDE ZT302 worth buying for a couple of dollars more?

• Contributor
Re: Opinion on a BSIDE ZT302 multimeter
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 02:35:04 pm »
Sorry for the double post, but for reference here is a link for it:

https://www.chinabrands.com/item/dropship-bside-zt302-portable-handheld-digital-multimeter-2284314-p.html

Can anyone give some input on this?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 02:39:53 pm »
What makes you think it is larger? It seems to be the exact same to me, except for the non-standard spaced input jacks.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 02:41:50 pm »
What makes you think it is larger? It seems to be the exact same to me, except for the non-standard spaced input jacks.

The dimensions written on the web page? The proportions of the meter in the photo?

It's 2cm wider than the others (so they can get 4 input jacks)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 02:47:03 pm »
I'm about to buy a cheap multimeter for bench work only with low power circuit testing only (hobby stuff) and for what I've read here in the forum the ANENG AN8008 is a good choice for me

The ANENG AN8008 is NOT a good choice for that sort of work, eg. there's no proper mA range (as Dave points out in his review video).

For a first meter I'd get an AN860B+. They're about $20:

https://pt.aliexpress.com/store/product/ANENG-6000-counts-LCD-Digital-Multimeter-DMM-with-NCV-Detector-DC-AC-Voltage-Current-Meter-Resistance/919484_32799992769.html

I own both and I like the 860B+ a LOT more then the AN8008.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 02:49:19 pm »
The dimensions written on the web page? The proportions of the meter in the photo?

It's 2cm wider than the others (so they can get 4 input jacks)
It appears it is. However, it somewhat illustrates the problem with this meter: as of yet, it's a complete unknown.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 03:47:53 pm »
I'm about to buy a cheap multimeter for bench work only with low power circuit testing only (hobby stuff) and for what I've read here in the forum the ANENG AN8008 is a good choice for me

The ANENG AN8008 is NOT a good choice for that sort of work, eg. there's no proper mA range (as Dave points out in his review video).

For a first meter I'd get an AN860B+. They're about $20:

https://pt.aliexpress.com/store/product/ANENG-6000-counts-LCD-Digital-Multimeter-DMM-with-NCV-Detector-DC-AC-Voltage-Current-Meter-Resistance/919484_32799992769.html

I own both and I like the 860B+ a LOT more then the AN8008.

I've missed that in Dave's review, yeahh, you are right about the AN8008, but I've found the BSIDE ZT302 in aliexpress and if, BIG IF, we can trust the dealer description it might not be an issue for the ZT302, I mean, in there is the specs for ZT301 (8000 counts), "800uA/8000uA (± 1.5% ± 3), 80mA/800mA (± 1.5% ± 3), 10A (± 1.5% ± 3)", only have to extrapolate that for 9999 counts (maybe I'm saying something stupid here). Here is the link:

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/BSIDE-oficial-9999-Contagens-ZT301-Ture-RMS-Mult-metro-Digital-ZT302-Multifuncional-AC-DC-Tens-o/32832040901.html?s=p

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 04:42:43 pm »
One issue I felt that the AN8008 has is that the uA range is on the volts socket. That means a simple slip in turning the range selector and you have a blown fuse and maybe also damage the item under test.

This one seems like it's been redesigned to have separate current jacks.

I really don't know that the lack of a mA range is that important; I can recall only a few times I've ever used one in the last year or two. A current range capable of at least 5A is necessary for checking PSU loading though. That gets used a fair bit. 

Perhaps more important is that neither can test a 10M resistor since it's just outside the highest range. You rarely encounter resistors higher than 10M but you do encounter a few 10M's and not being able to test them is awkward. Sod's Law dictates that if you can't test it, it's simply bound to be the fault!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 04:45:19 pm by IanMacdonald »

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 05:23:24 pm »
One issue I felt that the AN8008 has is that the uA range is on the volts socket. That means a simple slip in turning the range selector and you have a blown fuse and maybe also damage the item under test.

I really don't know that the lack of a mA range is that important; I can recall only a few times I've ever used one in the last year or two. A current range capable of at least 5A is necessary for checking PSU loading though. That gets used a fair bit. 

Perhaps more important is that neither can test a 10M resistor since it's just outside the highest range. You rarely encounter resistors higher than 10M but you do encounter a few 10M's and not being able to test them is awkward. Sod's Law dictates that if you can't test it, it's simply bound to be the fault!  ;)

I don´t know but to me it feels like the ZT302/ZT301 were designed to address some of the issues/quirks of both AN8008/8002(uA own socket, better range cover on the mA, relative measurement, ...) and at the same time be an improvement of the AN860+ (it has the same buttons/functionality/4 sockets but better counts, and if we believe on the specs, it has 80/99MOhm max range).

If only some felow user has one to test this out...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 08:05:16 pm »

Yep. Separate current jacks is always good (I usually insist on it as a feature).

I guess it depends on what you do with the meter. You have needed it though.  :popcorn:

I do a lot of things where the current bounces up and down between the uA and mA range (ATMega chip going to sleep and waking up). It would be impossible with an AN8008.

I don´t know but to me it feels like the ZT302/ZT301 were designed to address some of the issues/quirks of both AN8008/8002(uA own socket, better range cover on the mA, relative measurement, ...) and at the same time be an improvement of the AN860+ (it has the same buttons/functionality/4 sockets but better counts

They certainly look a lot better than the AN8008. I like the direction they're going in.

Edit:

Oh, wait... the 9999 count version of the meter doesn't have temperature. It has the stupid square wave output and also puts the mA and uA inputs on separate sockets.  :palm:

If I had to choose between those two I'd go for the ZT301 rather than the ZT302. YMMV.

As it is, I'll hang on to my AN860B+ until one of those manufacturers finally figures out the right combination of features (separate input jacks for current, 9999 counts, proper mA ranges, temperature).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:28:04 pm by Fungus »

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 11:23:14 pm »

Oh, wait... the 9999 count version of the meter doesn't have temperature. It has the stupid square wave output and also puts the mA and uA inputs on separate sockets.  :palm:

If I had to choose between those two I'd go for the ZT301 rather than the ZT302. YMMV.

As it is, I'll hang on to my AN860B+ until one of those manufacturers finally figures out the right combination of features (separate input jacks for current, 9999 counts, proper mA ranges, temperature).

You are absolutely right, missed another one, I was fooled because the first image I saw was from the ZT301 and unconsciously I assumed that being the ZT302 also with four socket it would have the same arrangement (or perhaps was what I really wanted it to have).

In this case, definitely the ZT301, and if we look at this model specs, it almost has your requested combination of features, lacking the 9999 counts and having "only" 8000. Let's see if anyone has one to share some knowledge about them, or surfaces some review online.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 12:05:05 pm »
Let's see if anyone has one to share some knowledge about them, or surfaces some review online.

If you need a meter then go for it. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 11:04:19 am »
Let's see if anyone has one to share some knowledge about them, or surfaces some review online.

If you need a meter then go for it. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I'll rather buy something reviewed and tested, but I'll probably take a chance. Just have to wait to the end of the month ;D

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 06:41:58 pm »
New link with the manual, more info on zt301(pearhps the big brother of an8002):

https://www.lightinthebox.com/button-sticker_p6276479.html?prm=1.5.1.1

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 02:37:50 pm »
I'll rather buy something reviewed and tested, but I'll probably take a chance. Just have to wait to the end of the month ;D

99% likely it's going to be the same chipset/family as the AN800X meters with identical construction quality. There's been very few complaints about those.

I was looking for a cheap meter I wouldn't hesitate (you could be the first to own one and post pictures here!)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:43:15 pm by Fungus »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 06:32:35 pm »
Update: I just saw this page...

https://www.chinabrands.com/item/dropship-bside-zt301-portable-handheld-digital-multimeter-228435401-k.html?wid=1

It detailed measurements and the photos show quite a big meter so I'm inclined to believe them. This meter is NOT as small as an AN8008.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:03:57 pm by Fungus »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 06:49:31 pm »
Just remember that none of the meters being discussed here actually can meet their claimed CAT ratings. Use them only on the bench.

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 07:38:44 pm »
Just remember that none of the meters being discussed here actually can meet their claimed CAT ratings. Use them only on the bench.

I've stated already that in my first post - "for bench work only with low power circuit testing only (hobby stuff)".

Update: I just saw this page...

https://www.chinabrands.com/item/dropship-bside-zt301-portable-handheld-digital-multimeter-228435401-k.html?wid=1

It detailed measurements and the photos show quite a big meter so I'm inclined to believe them. This meter is NOT as small as an AN8008.

Yeah, it seem's to be the bigger brothers of the AN800X, that could be a good thing, pearhps bigger fuses (or not)...

Here is another link to youtube gearbest apresentation of ZT301/ZT302, we can see how big they are:

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 08:02:59 pm »
Yeah, it seem's to be the bigger brothers of the AN800X, that could be a good thing, pearhps bigger fuses (or not)...

Don't expect large HRC fuses like a Fluke but maybe it has normal size fuses instead of the tiny/miniature fuses of the AN8008 sized meters (good luck finding replacements for those...)

My AN860B+ certainly has normal size fuses.

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2017, 07:24:27 pm »
Well I'm going to order a multimeter next week, and the best price I've found in the web for the BSIDE ZT301 is $17.60. For this price is worth the gamble or is there better for the same money or a couple a dollars more? (Remember, I wan't this for bench work with low power circuits - a plus is having pc logging capabilities, although I don't need to use it in a near future, but planning to on the long run)

edit--
Pc logging is not a requisite, this would be my first "bench" multimeter (not counting the "battery meter one"), when pc logging would be needed, a second multimeter would be needed too, so this feature can go to the second one.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 02:36:26 am by ldevm »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 09:14:01 am »
Well I'm going to order a multimeter next week, and the best price I've found in the web for the BSIDE ZT301 is $17.60. For this price is worth the gamble

What "gamble"?

or is there better for the same money or a couple a dollars more?

For a first meter I'd say it's between that one and the AN860B+.

Both of them tick the right boxes feature-wise and price-wise. Both are better featured than an AN8008 as a first meter. If you put them side by side I think it would just come down to the look/feel of the thing.

Regarding look/feel: I like the AN860B+'s construction. Very solid feel compared to an AN8008, rubberized case doesn't slide around the bench when you move the wires. The AN860B+ screen is completely flat so it's easy to put a piece of screen protector on it, the ZT301 screen looks curved like an AN8008 so you can't use a piece that goes all the way to the edges.

OTOH:
a) I don't have ZT301 to compare side by side so I'm just guessing it looks/feels like a big AN8008.
b) The ZT301 probably has a slightly better chipset (it's 8000 count and has True RMS).

That didn't help at all, did it?

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 01:49:03 am »

What "gamble"?

Well, with "gamble" I mean, there's no feedback, reviews, inside pictures, it may look similar to AN800X outside, but could be very different, for the worst or for the better. And if turns out to be a total flop (I'm probably/certainly over exagerating here...), I don't have any half decent backup meter at the moment...

That didn't help at all, did it?

Oh boy! Your right! Didn't help at all, I mean, I like and appreciate all of your knowledge/input (more and more, please ;)), but now I'm torned between the ZT301 and the AN860B+. If for one hand I like the specs of ZT301 (seems a little bit more updated than the AN860B+), on the other hand you make a good point about the rubberized case, I'm not a particularly fan of the sliding issue thing.

I think that it will come down to feature/adventure (ZT301) against sturdiness/battle tested (AN860B+).

I'll see more prices/availability of both, and make up my mind.

Offline Mark Hennessy

• Frequent Contributor
    • My electronics and audio website
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 06:33:57 pm »
For what it's worth, I've reviewed a few cheap multimeters, including the AN860B+

http://www.markhennessy.co.uk/budget_multimeters/

I've got a RAGU 17B to add to those reviews, and I have BSIDE ZT301 in the post (along with a UNI-T 139C, which appears to use the same chipset). There are also a couple of pocket multimeters to add to the reviews. Depending on how long the outstanding meters take to arrive, I anticipate getting these reviews done in a couple of weeks, perhaps a month worst-case. So, if you're not in a rush...

For the money, the AN860B+ is a fine meter. Change the glass fuses for sand-filled ceramic types though.

But having said that, there's no such thing as a perfect multimeter. Also, you'll need more than one meter. You don't have to go all that far back in time to discover a place where meters at this price point were very basic 2000-count units that didn't have true RMS, frequency, capacitance, etc - the DTM0660 chipset (and derivatives) have really shaken things up. In short, stop worrying about buying one meter that does everything - plan to buy a couple at least, and play to the strengths of each one.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 07:24:19 pm »
Also, you'll need more than one meter.

Yep. Get both!

(seriously, for sanity-checking and because you never know when you'll need to look at two values simultaneously)

Flip a coin to decide which to get today. Plan on getting the other one a few months from now.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 07:40:25 pm by Fungus »

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 12:35:48 am »
For what it's worth, I've reviewed a few cheap multimeters, including the AN860B+

http://www.markhennessy.co.uk/budget_multimeters/

I've got a RAGU 17B to add to those reviews, and I have BSIDE ZT301 in the post (along with a UNI-T 139C, which appears to use the same chipset). There are also a couple of pocket multimeters to add to the reviews. Depending on how long the outstanding meters take to arrive, I anticipate getting these reviews done in a couple of weeks, perhaps a month worst-case. So, if you're not in a rush...

For the money, the AN860B+ is a fine meter. Change the glass fuses for sand-filled ceramic types though.

But having said that, there's no such thing as a perfect multimeter. Also, you'll need more than one meter. You don't have to go all that far back in time to discover a place where meters at this price point were very basic 2000-count units that didn't have true RMS, frequency, capacitance, etc - the DTM0660 chipset (and derivatives) have really shaken things up. In short, stop worrying about buying one meter that does everything - plan to buy a couple at least, and play to the strengths of each one.

I have already looked at your reviews, especially for the AN860B+, very nice work! The idea is having 2 multimeters on the long run, has I've said before the data logger feature doesn't have to be in my next choice, that could be for a second multimeter. I'm choosing a more budget and basic multimeter as the first one to suit all the basic bench readings on simple circuits, arduino fun, etc. Entering the ZT301 has a contender is the fact that it has some nice DC uA ranges and resolution, 8000 counts, 4 input sockets and a nice price ;D. But actually the more I look at the AN860B+ reviews I realize that apart the 2000 counts less, I can't see any other significant diference (not counting the exterior look and feel). Am I missing any other difference (feature wise)?

Also, you'll need more than one meter.

Yep. Get both!

(seriously, for sanity-checking and because you never know when you'll need to look at two values simultaneously)

Flip a coin to decide which to get today. Plan on getting the other one a few months from now.

If at least one of them have the data logging feature, I've already flipped that coin ;)

I'm not in such a hurry for the multimeter, I'll go for Mark's advice and wait for his review on the ZT301, after all we are near christmas and its not the best time for buying and waiting for things to arrive from china.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf