Author Topic: Oscillating voltage (0-400mV) from a closed relay  (Read 840 times)

Offline analogoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Oscillating voltage (0-400mV) from a closed relay
« on: August 03, 2017, 05:36:33 am »
My MCU controls a 5 V Songle relay. The input to the relay is a 9 V battery. The NO output is connected to a LED, the NC output is disconnected. Everything works fine, but I have noticed something peculiar (peculiar only to a beginner like me, probably).

If I measure the voltate from NO and ground while the coil is unpowered, I get an oscillating voltage. It starts from 0 V and ramps up to 400 mV. Then it drops down to 0 V. A sawtooth shaped waveform. If the coil has been energized and de-energized in the last 5 minutes then the voltage will go up to 400 mV in about 5 seconds. After 30 minutes it need 4 minutes to go up to 400 mV.

What causes this oscillation?

Is it normal? Is there a capacitor inside the relay? Has it to do with the coil?

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Oscillating voltage (0-400mV) from a closed relay
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 05:39:11 am »
Could it be that your meter changes from "Hi-Z" mode to 10Mohm mode when it switches range around 400mV? ;)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
Re: Oscillating voltage (0-400mV) from a closed relay
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 06:03:42 am »
LEDs can make small amounts of electricity when they are in light. A bit like some photo devices, such as solar cells.
Does covering the LED stop it from happening ?

http://sciencewithkids.com/Experiments/Energy-Electricity-Experiments/LED-generate-electricity-experiment.html

Turn on the multimeter and set the dial to read DC voltage. It is the V symbol. Read the voltage value produced by normal room light. Now move the breadboard over to a window or take it outside and watch the voltage values increase!.

The following users thanked this post: Zero999

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf