Author Topic: Oscilloscope for audio repairing and studying  (Read 20052 times)

Offline gisTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Oscilloscope for audio repairing and studying
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 03:23:50 pm »
Likewise, you can adjust the scale and position on a digital scope to get the analog front end amplifiers to send the area of interest to the 8 bit ADC.
So it will be enough to understand the waveform and make some measures.

But when I see the Rigol DS1052E at 330€ shipped and the Rigol DS1074Z at 530€ shipped... an old CRO Hameg could be fine.
And I think I can sell it later at quite the same price I'll buy it; I don't think the DS1052E will be reselled as well as the 20MHz analog one.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 08:55:57 pm »
A used 20MHz analog oscilloscope will be fine for general audio use.  Like you say, you can always sell it again later if you want.  Even if you do get a digital oscilloscope later, the old analog one is still handy to keep and will owe you little.

Offline dyazdani

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 04:19:04 pm »
I bought an old (very) Tek 465, it works fine and I was willing to risk the $100USD on it.  That said, I'd drop the extra on a Rigol or something else new if I was using it a lot.

Offline gisTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2013, 11:21:46 pm »
Hi guys,
finally bought an Hameg HM204-2 with probes for 105€ plus shipping! Just few minor scratches, so happy!

But poorly packaged, it arrived with the right front high pushed inside, component tester socket missing, shaft-to-potentiometer connections broken...  :box:

I started thinking about sparing some money and buying the Rigol DS1074Z, with its nice three years warranty!

PS: Hameg is really nice engineered inside! :'(

Offline sipo75

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 10:26:03 am »
Hi guys,
finally bought an Hameg HM204-2 with probes for 105€ plus shipping! Just few minor scratches, so happy!

But poorly packaged, it arrived with the right front high pushed inside, component tester socket missing, shaft-to-potentiometer connections broken...  :box:

I started thinking about sparing some money and buying the Rigol DS1074Z, with its nice three years warranty!

PS: Hameg is really nice engineered inside! :'(

Not sure how bad the damage is but it sounds bad. Don't hesitate to request some compensation.

I am pretty much going through the same process - bought a few oscilloscopes. In the end I think I will need a sound card for serious audio analysis. Something like the esi juli@. But having the oscilloscopes around is a big plus.

Good luck with your new scope(s).

Offline manzini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 03:34:03 pm »
For hobbiyst Audio repairs, I use the Peter Millet's sound scope / AC RMS  kit, that include a signal gen, through a good 24/192 RME external interface or firewire Echo Audio (I have and love both).

Cheap and happy.

this: Sound Card Interface / AC RMS voltmeter http://www.pmillett.com/ATEST.htm

ps: and a cheap real scope for some else (no DC coupling)  ;)

Offline gisTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 11:03:15 am »
Thanks everybody for the hints! ;D

Look at the poor 204...

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 06:55:04 pm »
I own a couple of Philips PM3065 100Mhz scopes. 
I went for this model as it seemed to be the later end of the analog era right before the hybrids and fairly cheap.
Can someone please check and comment on the attached specs for audio usage?

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline DL8RI

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 09:46:21 pm »
Nice for Audio and "general work" :)
I also have one of these (the 55) unfortunately with an error in the Powersupply and without the handle.
But i will definitely repair it, these scopes are pretty lightweight for an analog scope, perfect for "service" :-+

One debate over them is always the knobs. Some hate this Units for these "up-down"-switches, some love them.
Or i'll get one of this hybrid-scopes even nicer with GPIB and all the fancy digital stuff :)

Thanks everybody for the hints! ;D

Look at the poor 204...

Uh, thats |O :--
But the damage doesn't seem to be to severe, looks somehow fixable.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:49:08 pm by DL8RI »

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 10:03:10 pm »
Uh, thats |O :--
But the damage doesn't seem to be to severe, looks somehow fixable.

I would be a bit worried about internal damage or misalignment of the CRT after a knock like that. They are built to be fairly rugged, but there are limits...

Offline tony3d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 10:43:17 am »
Hi everybody,

as said in the subject I'm wondering which oscilloscope to buy for mainly audio circuits troubleshooting.
Suddenly last time I used oscilloscopes send me back to school, five years ago: Hameg CRT stuff, with the possibility of acquire waveforms to a connected computer.

The things I usually put hands on are live service audio and lights materials, analog pedal ("pedal" as in "for guitars, basses, keyboards") effects.
Actually using ears, intuition and step by step troubleshooting, I'd like to invest some money on an oscilloscope to get some things done faster (and better).

The things mentioned above are not my main occupation (I'm a live sound engineer, backliner and light technician), but I'd like to invest some money and energy in these directions to diversify my revenues.

Two oscilloscopes I putted eyes on...
  • used Tektronix 2445B, calibrated, 2x 100MHz probes
    490€ shipped
  • new Rigol DS2072
    830€ shipped, 3 years warranty

I usually try to spend "more but once", but I'm actually afraid I can't understand now what I'll really need, and afraid to "throw away" money. :scared:
So... some hints from the community will be really, really appreciated! ;D

Thanks to anyone for reading!
Giovanni aka "gis", from Italy

This owon should be fine, and it's only $236.00!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007T6XNCA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1383302484&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Offline Eddie

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 04:27:08 pm »
For audio work you cannot go past the Rigol DS1102E it is a pleasure to operate and once you get used to the menus you you will get faster in using the device.

What I like about it is that it is portable, nice and light as in weight and it was not that expensive, and yes I am most pleased with mine, the old CRO I had was heavy, took far too long to heat up and the controls were in need of replacing.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:59:33 pm by Eddie »
Into Electronics for more than 45 years, Amateur Radio for some 31 years (licenced that long) worked in telecommunications, satcomms, microwave systems, optic fibre systems etc.
Qualified Trainer as well

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 04:52:57 pm »
I`m doing a lot of audio work, and do prefeer analog scope for that. Easier to work with. Caputures glitzes way faster-
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf